• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone heard of the Q-Collection Project?

29 posts in this topic

Yes. I used to be part of a comic forum with the guy that runs the project.

Not my thing but I don't understand why others get upset about it. People can do what they want with their own books.

I guess for the same reason I cringe whenever I find out someone "restored" an old coin or gun with a wire brush. My mind knows it's their property, but my heart can't help wanting to thump them upside the head.

I am a bit split.

On one hand restored is not as attractive as unrestored of course.

On the other hand almost everything in the museums of the word is restored - from dinosaur bones to weapons etc.

Not my thing but I don't understand why others get upset about it. People can do what they want with their own books.

I guess for the same reason I cringe whenever I find out someone "restored" an old coin or gun with a wire brush. My mind knows it's their property, but my heart can't help wanting to thump them upside the head.

I am a bit split.

On the other hand almost everything in the museums of the word is restored - from dinosaur bones to weapons etc.

There's a difference between professional restoration and destruction.

I am a bit split.

Yes. My comment was that I am split as to restoration.

The peculiar thing these guys are doing I don't think is the best way to preserve these comics. But we would need to talk to a museum expert which I am not.

I am a bit split.

They will all be destroyed eventually.

I don't really understand what qualifies as restoration in the coin collecting realm nor why certain things count as restoration and certain things do not.

Wire brush? Only reason I would assume someone would use a wire brush would be if they found a coin in the ground and wanted to brush the grime away.

Is that restoration or is that wiping all the non-coin stuff away.

I don't mean to make fun. I really don't know and would like to.

Anyone?

I don't really understand what qualifies as restoration in the coin collecting realm nor why certain things count as restoration and certain things do not.

Wire brush? Only reason I would assume someone would use a wire brush would be if they found a coin in the ground and wanted to brush the grime away.

Anyone?

If you pressed the wire brush onto the coin it would be fine.

There used to be an epic thread on the eBay boards regarding this initiative and its founder. Maybe it was several threads. In any case, it's the kind of situation where the eBay boardies found an opportunity to pounce on the guy on the occasion he would appear.

Yeah,he got hammered on there many,many times but he almost never defended himself.I do recall it being said he only used very low grade copies and that he felt digital copies could be lost.

It was also told that the museum (Smithsonian ?) rejected his finished project.Can't remember why (shrug)

Anyone?

A wire brush damages the coin. Basically if you can tell something was done to the coin it's not considered restoration. All you can really do is clean them with acetone, because it doesn't chemically alter the coin. All it does is remove surface dirt and grime. A skillful person might be able to do a quick dip in a special solvent, but if it's at all evident that coin is ruined. It will end up in a holder with the equivalent of the CGC Green label, marked "cleaned."

NGC (CGC's coin counterpart) has a "conservation" service. It is in effect restoration but they will not disclose their methods. With a successful restoration the coin will and up in a problem freeholder.

Where CGC has green, purple and blue labels, coins only have two. One for problem coins and one for problem free coins. A problem coin might say, "VF Details, Corroded" or "EF Details, Cleaned". If someone takes a wire brush to a coin they call that "whizzed."

Anyone?

A wire brush damages the coin. Basically if you can tell something was done to the coin it's not considered restoration. All you can really do is clean them with acetone, because it doesn't chemically alter the coin. All it does is remove surface dirt and grime. A skillful person might be able to do a quick dip in a special solvent, but if it's at all evident that coin is ruined. It will end up in a holder with the equivalent of the CGC Green label, marked "cleaned."

NGC (CGC's coin counterpart) has a "conservation" service. It is in effect restoration but they will not disclose their methods. With a successful restoration the coin will and up in a problem freeholder.

Where CGC has green, purple and blue labels, coins only have two. One for problem coins and one for problem free coins. A problem coin might say, "VF Details, Corroded" or "EF Details, Cleaned". If someone takes a wire brush to a coin they call that "whizzed."

Interesting... thanks!