• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infantino vs. Wrightson

29 posts in this topic

Yeah, but is Infantino "inside baseball?" Does Bernie Wrightson have more general appeal? Does that make him "better" (whatever that means)?

Technical and stylistic superiority. Wrightson's work is instantly recognizable.

Disagree on the stylistic superiority. Infantino is also instantly recognizable.

Wrightson's page looks less like comic art, no wonder she (or the average non comic person) would be drawn to it over the Infantino piece

While I stand by my original judgement, upon further consideration, I agree that Infantino and Wrightston are probably too far apart, in a stylistic sense, to make for a fair comparison.

I think Wally Wood or Frank Frazetta or even Graham Ingles would be a much better matchup for Wrightston, stylistically, than Infantino...who makes for an interesting comparison against Steranko.

Did Wrightson draw Nova? Infantino wins.

Infantino had a short stint on Nova but definitely the weakest artwork in the series IMHO. I have passed on several Nova pages done by him over the years.

I have happily passed on every Marvel page Infantino's done. Blech.

But his Warren mag stuff from the 70s is second only to his heyday at DC in the 60s. Some very beautiful stuff I didn't even know about until a little while ago.

creepy-88-pg4-caf.jpg

creepy-90-p28-caf.jpg

eerie-82-p34-caf.jpg

Well, I had a woman over last night, and we were making dinner and fixing to watch some Captain Marvel 1941 serial episodes and Attack of the Clones. Being all psyched for my art, I asked if she wanted to check it out. She obliged me, and we went into my office. I showed her the Infantino page first, and she was kinda nonplussed. She said some nice things, but was obviously not all that into it. Then I pulled out the Frankenstein pages and she totally lit up! What does that say? I asked her why her reactions were so different, and she said the Infantino page just looked like a comic page. \(shrug\)

I would have been plussed if I saw those pages.

Technical superiority has nothing to do with it. they are working for two different goals. Infantino drew that page on a strict production deadline with a prepubescent audience in mind and the limitations of printing comicbooks faced in the 60's. It's open for color, the characters clothing and hairstyles are dated.

Wrightson is working without concern for printing and with a much older audience in mind. He's probably no dealing with a strict deadline. Frankenstien lives is a vanity project. The Wrightson page is more pleasing to the casual eye. Edges are lost and found in shadow where the Infantino page is delineated all around. Wrightson's use of black makes it easier on the eye in it's original form.

To say infantino is a lesser artist because Wrightson's page looks better isn't really fair.