• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Keys of the 21st Century

44 posts in this topic

I think WD at the point can absolutely be considered a key of this era. Anything else I think is will need a compelling argument, but I don't know of any other books that are no-brainers. To me this is a no-brainer. I love YTLM, but even that to me isn't worth including as a key.

I think WD at the point can absolutely be considered a key of this era. Anything else I think is will need a compelling argument, but I don't know of any other books that are no-brainers. To me this is a no-brainer. I love YTLM, but even that to me isn't worth including as a key.

I agree with this. Walking dead #1 has proved it is definitely worthy of being called a key. I probably consider YTLM and Invincible as well. Y is a modern classic and Invincible has proved it can sustain itself going on 100+.

I can't think of any other book at this point despite "new books" like EoW and Saga being good reads. I still don't consider #1 of them a key book of this era. Not today, but in the future perhaps.

Well considering Invincible is one of the very few (only) superhero comics Image has put out....I guess it might be key worthy. I don't see any other comic other than WD having a key that isn't a #1 though....Saga 4 should be a key, someday in the distant future..

Batman #608 RRP

I'm sure a lot of people won't agree with this, but I personally don't consider any variants to be keys. Valuable, sure. In demand, sure. But not key.

Of course, "key" is a pretty vague term to begin with. But I just don't think you can create a true key through artificial scarcity.

Batman #608 RRP

I'm sure a lot of people won't agree with this, but I personally don't consider any variants to be keys. Valuable, sure. In demand, sure. But not key.

Of course, "key" is a pretty vague term to begin with. But I just don't think you can create a true key through artificial scarcity.

I understand where you're coming from on that one... but Batman #608 RRP is the "one that started it all" (again) in some ways.

It wasn't the first variant, of course, but it was given to retailers as a "thank you" for being part of the Retailer Roundtable Program.

It essentially funded the cost of attending the meeting and was ridiculously low print vs. any other regular Batman comic from the past 300+ issues.

Other publishers attempted to do the same thing, and some publishers (Zenescope) almost exclusively publish ridiculously low convention variants...

but Batman #608 RRP is the only one that's become an "accidentally on purpose" key similar to Superman Bradman.

For the record, I don't own Batman #608 RRP or Superman Bradman... but I do recognize them as "artificial, but not blatant" (if that makes sense) keys for their decades.

Year 2000 is the final year of the 20th Century so Ultimate Spider-man 1 does not count.

Nominees so far:

WD 1, 19, 27

ASM 36

Invincible 1

YTLM 1

Bats 608 RRP ? Should this count?