• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are YOUR top bronze age favorites?

56 posts in this topic

I bought my first Overstreet in '84 or ''85, and I immediately started working on all the Marvel and DC 1st issues. The ones that really thrilled me were the tough to find non-superhero books. Homer the Happy Ghost, Peter the Little Pest, L'il Kids, Laurel and Hardy, the Tarzan Digest, all were thrilling to find in the pre-Ebay era.

Some of my favorites that haven't already been mentioned:

Marvel Spotlight #5

Conan #24

Star Spangled War Stories #151

All-Star Western #10

Astonishing Tales #25

First Issue Special #8

good picks. I have really come to like All Star Western 10. Hex is an under-appreciated character. it is a pity the movie stunk so bad.

Also another big favorite of mine is Marvel Spotlight 2, bronze horror, square bound and a cool Adams cover.

When I was a kid I started collecting in 1983. I didn't really pick up too many BA books at the time, except for the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne X-Men and the "Cronze" age Frank Miller DD books. Oh, and the Wolverine limited series.

So favorites as a kid: X-Men 109,120,121,133,137,140,141,142 & the Wolverine 1-4.

Daredevil Cronze books: 160,161,164,168,169,174,175,176,181.

I didn't start reading Savage Sword of Conan until the Copper Age.

I was picking up all Judge Dredd comics I could get my hands on. The Eagle books were reprinting all the original British 70s and early 80s material. Judge Dredd's first app. was in 1977. so I guess technically he's a BA character, or maybe a Cronze Age character would be better.

As a adult I've comic to appreciate:

DC BA Horror

DC BA War (esp. the Unknown Soldier)

Tomb of Dracula

Master of Kung Fu

Creepy

Jonah Hex

Planet of the Apes

Kubert's Tarzan

Marvel BA Romance

I like

Byrne's run on X-Men.

(Lots of Adams stuff)

DC Horror with Adams, Wrightson, and Kaluta.

Adams Green Lantern,

Adams Batman titles,

Conan 1-24,

All Star Western 10,

and Early Vampi.

For me I enjoy

Nova(all)

Kamandi 1-40 can you say Kirby!! It took me two years back when I was to find all of the ones I was missing back in the 70's. Of course when I got my dl it made it a lot easier to find them. I could go to the big comic store in downtown Minneapolis.

Ghost Rider 1

Marvel Spotlight 5

HFH 6, when I read that then I knew I had to have the rest. Plus one of my favorite covers

Conan 1

Savage Sword of Conan - love the covers

Defenders 1

Sub-Mariner 34 - 35

The reason I said that is when I was a kid, me and my friend's fave issues were not major key ones, but comics that we really liked, either off the stands or from someone's older brother.

Like Avengers 164-166, X-Men 111-113, MTU 53, ASM 136, Avengers 162, FF 120-123, Avengers Annual 7/MTIO Annual 2, Captain Marvel 25-33, Captain America 180, etc.

My favorites include:

Marvel Star Wars 7-38,50-52,55-63

DC Swamp Thing 1-10

Marvel Tomb of Dracula 1-70

For me, the Bronze Age is defined by the diversity in Marvel and DC's titles including genres like war, fantasy, horror, and science fiction. Marvel ruled science fiction with Star Wars and Marvel and DC split the horror honors with Swamp Thing and Tomb of Dracula. All 3 of these are high points in the Bronze Age.

Favorite series for me include:

Barry Smith's Conan. For me, discovering the Marvel Conan in the paperback full-color reprints, what was coolest about the series was the Barry Smith fantasy landscapes and architecture. I've still never read any original REH, and though many folks here swear by Big John Buscema's version of Conan, it does absolutely nothing for me. After #24, I've lost all interest in the series.

Batman. 3 separate periods:

- The O'Neil / Adams run, including Batman 232, 234, 237, 243, 244, (245 was lame), 251 and Detective 395 397 404, 410. Also Adams issues written by others, including Detective 400, 402, 407, 408, and Batman 255. And O'Neil issues illustrated by others: Batman 241, 242, 247, 248, 253, 259, 261 and Detective 399, 411, 414, 418, 425.

- The Archie Goodwin Detective run from #437-#443, both for the Goodwin/Walt Simonson Manhunter back-up strip, and for the really diverse Batman lead stories, featuring art by Aparo, Toth, Chaykin, Amendola, Simonson.

- The late Bronze Steve Englehart / Marshall Rogers run in Detective 471-476. Classic villains, the Batman & Robin team actually working as a team, a realistic love interest in Silver St. Cloud, and the excitement of a young Marshall Rogers stepping out in his first starring comics gig.

Kirby's 4th World - New Gods, Forever People, Mr. Miracle, with a dash of Jimmy Olsen thrown in. Probably one of the most polarizing series ever here on the forums. People either love it or hate it... you all probably know where I stand by now.

Honorable mentions: Wrightson's Swamp Thing, Kaluta's The Shadow, O'Neil/Adams' GL/GA, Jim Aparo on Phantom Stranger & The Spectre, Neal Adams' Kree-Skrull War in the Avengers... :blahblah: