• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #121 VS. #122

57 posts in this topic

Covers are important - 122 with the superior cover will bring more $$$ now that the book is worth big bucks.

Personally, I bought an ASM 39 just because it is the coolest damn Spider-Man cover ever. Not really consistent with my collecting goals, but hey, how cool does it look when an unmasked SM is being taken for a ride by the Goblin hanging from his glider?

If the books were in the sub $100 range I could see how they would be even, but now I think 122 is the winner.

That is a really nice one, but I wouldn't resubmit it. The staple is enough to keep it from 9.8. I saw quite a few raw copies around the movie hype time claiming to be CGC 9.8 going for over $2 K (they all had the bent staple). There is still only 1 Amazing Spiderman 122 in CGC 9.8. That book sold for something like $6100 (with BP) I believe at Heritage after not selling on Ebay (reserve not met at $4800).

My vote is for Amazing Spiderman 121. In the past I would have voted for 122 because it is the death of Green Goblin and a more dramatic cover but the impact of this death issue has been lessen because Marvel brought back the original Green Goblin back yet again. Gwen Stacy has stayed dead (much like Uncle Ben) and not counting clones and her death is very significant in the history of Spiderman. Hopefully, Marvel learns its lesson and does not reincarnate her.

The ASM #121 9.8 brought in $6,613.00, which is exactly what the #121 9.8 brought as well, down to the last dollar.

Not just the same buyer, but most likely all the same bidders submitting bids equally between the 2. Makes sense, as most people who can afford these prices would likely want to nab the set. That would also account for the exact same final prices.

I wouldn't think just a bent staple would lower a 9.8 to a 9.6 unless there were other defects. I just haven't been able to find any defects inconsistent with the 9.9 grade, much less the 9.8 grade, so I can't see just the staple lowering the grade a full notch or two. I've got a bunch of 9.6s, and this one is very noticably better than most of them.

I'll call CGC soon and see what they noted. If their notations are favorable, I might give it a shot. But I might not; I don't intend to sell it even if I struck gold and it came back 9.9. No sense in resubmitting to see what the grade is by today's standards when I may not sell it for over a decade, at which time the standards will likely be tweaked slightly.

I'm not so sure about that... this is only word of mouth... I don't know it as fact (not that it's that important)... but I was told by a trustworthy individual that both those books were shopped around to him after the auction. This individual was contacted.. and the story was something to the effect that the winner was a bit overspent with wins and "could" follow through with the purchase if necessary, but was looking to minimize his total and as such the books were being offered. I believe he claimed the offered sum was similar to the figure you posted individually, but as I recall a bit less... and a little less further if both were purchased... so the actual sales figures might have ended up being less. I don't know where they ended up as the books were passed on by the guy I know.

Interesting..........I could definetly believe it. Those final prices strike me as a little high, even for those grades. Both copies have been bounced around quite a bit as well, and have been availabe on the market on several occasions.

But, who knows? There are soooo many rumors in this hobby, and no real way to substantiate them, short of talking to the actual individuals involved.

What were the 3 grades from the grader? What about the grading notes? I dont think its the staple that keeps it from a 9.8. I have a couple of 9.8s that have the same kind of indention in the staples so Id go for it! Its a beautiful book! laugh.gif

Hey bronzebruce13,

It's musicmeta, I can't sign on because the password they sent me was blank.

I hope to be able to sign on soon.

I have a 9.0 ASM 121 and 9.2 ASM 122. I wonder what these will bring on ebay?

I believe #121 is more important for sure. First BIG death issue.

Yeah, Pimp's got it about right. Just for interest, here's all my data on these 2 books, but I've mostly recorded higher grades, and most were during the hype and would not accurately reflect current market conditions:

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #121 CGC 9.2

$280.00 FEB-09-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #121 CGC 9.4

$700.00 MAR-15-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN 121 CGC 9.6

$950.00 Dec-16-01

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #121 CGC 9.6

$1,363.00 FEB-17-02

$1,600.00 JUN-30-02

$1,009.00 AUG-23-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #121 CGC 9.8

$3,700.00 MAR-16-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #121 CGC 9.8

$5,200.00 MAY-07-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #122 CGC 9.6

$2,000.00 MAY-07-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #122 CGC 9.6

$2,126.96 MAY-07-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #122 CGC 9.4

$852.02 MAY-07-02

$640.00 MAY-04-02

$471.00 Jan-16-02

$601.00 JAN-20-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #122 CGC 9.2 wESTERN PENN

$651.22 FEB-10-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #122 CGC 9.2

$325.00 FEB-09-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #122 CGC 9.2

$479.00 FEB-17-02

The Western PA 9.2 was the result of an insane sniper war.