• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help Roy Thomas identify man in this circa 1946 photo with Lee Harris

98 posts in this topic

I believe that Roy Thomas is the source for the info on Udall. He says he was there from 1944 to 1946. So I have to assume he was there in January at least.

Roy is also, I believe, the best source for photos of old DC staffers. And the photo posted up thread, is from Roy's book, and is apparently the only photo Roy could find. The guy who would know if there are better photos of Udall is probably Roy. He might also be in contact with someone still alive who knew Udall and could id him.

I think the best argument that your man is Udall is that your man doesn't look like any other known DC editorial staffers, and there are points of favorable comparison between the shadowy picture of Udall and the photo. I would not hesitate to contact Roy if I were you because I suspect that Roy will be excited by the prospect he finally has a good photo of Udall.

Paul Levitz is another possible person to consult, but I don't think he'd be as knowledgeable on this topic as Roy.

You are right, pcalhoun... Lee Harris could be showing illustrations to a writer, not an editor. But but when I see this same mystery man standing next to George Roussos, and do my best to observe/read their body language, to me it is as if George is showing and checking something with this other person --as to get his approval, and when I see my dad looking over at this mystery man in a way that also looks like he is conversing and receiving approval, I tend to believe it is an editor (or assistant editor) with some authority. But I also know that I could be wrong, and simply reading too much into it. That's why before, submitting our multiple theories to Roy for consideration, I prefer to let this thread run another day to see if cleaner, crisper photos might be posted that compares the two men side by side, to determine (hopefully without doubt) that it is a match. Perhaps, I should post a separate message on this CGC Forum/Gold Comics board, requesting help in locating a crisp clear circa 1946 photo of Udall. Then, encourage anyone who finds such a photo to visit this thread here in order to post this photo for us all to see and consider.

Jonathan

Neither pic establishes DC as locale, with the chalkboard pic clearly not DC. Mystery man has hairline low on right- man with Julie has hair straight across brow. The fact that both original pictures seem to have artists getting editorial approval could still be from a writer, especially if Joe had scripted all the stuff on right of board…

I still think Joseph Greene (who we know wrote for Spark and DC) a very credible candidate.

ps- pic of JG I posted does show right earlobe...

Thanks for the larger photo pcalhoun. Perhaps there may be similarity in the ears. But the forehead (to me) in the Joe Greene photo above e looks so much wider than the forehead of the mystery man sitting at the art table with Lee Harris (frontal view).

Do our foreheads really expand much as we age? ...or is it that we lose so much hair that there is simply an illusion of expanding foreheads.

I am not convoked. But let's consider Joe Greene as still being a possible candidate, til someone can suggest why we should discount him.

Again, many thanks for your time and efforts.

Jonathan

Do our foreheads really expand much as we age? ...or is it that we lose so much hair that there is simply an illusion of expanding foreheads.

Speaking as one of the folliclely challenged, the later is true. In fact, as you lose hair, ironically, it makes your head look bigger.

Although I suggested Ted Udall, and I think that is still a good contender, I can't deny I see some resemblance with the picture of Greene.

But, lots of people look somewhat alike (back when I was less follicley challenged I used to be told I resembled McCartney. What I don't know is whether he ever worked with Greene at Spark or any other non-DC publishing house, and I'm not sure the writing on the blackboard is relevant as it could just be nonsense used for what appear to be staged photos not candids. What is the story on the photos?

That picture of Greene, by the way, comes from a website that states it was in contact with Greene's son who has Greene's records. Perhaps you ought to email that website operator to find out if he can identify Greene from the picture or pass it on to Greene's son for identification.

The photo of the two men at the chalkboard (George and the mystery man) was taken by my dad with his Rolleiflex camera form the war. I know this because these photos were stored in a box with all photos that my dad took during this Golden Age period of time.

The photo of my dad at his art table was also taken with his Rolleiflex camera. George likely took the shot --but it could have been another co-worker as well.

Perhaps it was mentioned in an earlier but, but i would like to know if Joe Greene worked at DC Comics circa 1946. I believe it was already established that Ted Udall did. That is where my dad (and George Roussos) worked at that time, and I am quite certain that this photo was taken at DC.

So to sum up, we seem to have Greene and Udall as the most likely contenders)... is this correct? As long as it can be established that Greene worked at DC in March to July 1946.

Jonathan