• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing... anyone had good results with it?

31 posts in this topic

I have some nice copper books that have CGC 9.8 potential and might put them into the $150+ range but have some slight bends and light spine stress (not color breaking).

These will cost $18 to grade, but another $12 puts $30 into each one, Still doesn't seem that much if I can have a 75% chance of getting the CGC 9.8 grade.

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with CCS pressing for copper books?

I have, I had a Kick Arse #3 with no color breaking creases along the spine, and there were a lot of them as well as along the top of the book and I was disappointed cause I spent $15 for that book and it had wrinkles all over the place. I had CCS press it and slab it, came back 9.8 and sold for $148, I had X-Men 221, X-Factor 24, Conan books, Mcfarlane ASM Spidey's all were pressed and came back 9.8's after they were rejected prescreen, had a few come back 9.6's but overall, couldn't be happier with how they all turned out, All the important ones came back 9.8. I did Quick Press for $8 each and had 54 books pressed, I now have 75 books there now that have been pressed, now being slabbed. CCS does a good job

I have some nice copper books that have CGC 9.8 potential and might put them into the $150+ range but have some slight bends and light spine stress (not color breaking).

These will cost $18 to grade, but another $12 puts $30 into each one, Still doesn't seem that much if I can have a 75% chance of getting the CGC 9.8 grade.

Several people on these boards offer professional pressing services.

They do, but CCS turn around time is faster and if you want them slabbed, they just transfer them over since CGC is in the same building.

They do, but CCS turn around time is faster

That depends on who you're talking about.

My turn around time is a couple of days.

That beats...well, pretty much everyone else at this point.

:)

You offer pressing service?

I do indeed.

I do indeed.

I've had CCS press some books they're at CGC now

Had Joey press some books Not sure if they're done yet

Trying a few different services.

What's your service like?

CCS is awful. You will do much better going with someone like Joey.

Why cause they are on the boards?

No because every time I have used CCS it has been an awful experience.

What made the experience so awful? Share some stories.

A few things to look for and think about when sending out books.

1. Are they insured. If a book is damaged while pressing will I be left holding the bag.

2. Shipping times and travel. Are your books going from the East Coast to the West Coast and back before making it to CGC? A lot can happen to a book, even a properly packed book on a 4 thousand mile trip.

3. Cost per book.

4. Discount offered if they are going to CGC.

5. Turnaround times. Waiting a few weeks means the person is in demand.

6. Reputation.

And finally...will they stand by your side if a dispute arises between them and CGC. All too often you are told "Sorry Son, you're on your own".

CCS is awful. You will do much better going with someone like Joey.

Why cause they are on the boards?

No because every time I have used CCS it has been an awful experience.

What made the experience so awful? Share some stories.

Nearly double the estimated turn around time, books coming back lower then they were originally, etc. I use Joey for books that I really want pressed. I might send some to RMA to try him out. Joey pressed some books for me at Megacon last year and they all received a grade bump.

I might send some to RMA to try him out.

You already have. ;) Didn't you buy some later printing Supes 9.8s from me? Or Knightfalls...one of the two.

Pressed by me. :)

Some other things to keep in mind:

While waiting a few weeks might mean there's demand, it also might mean the particular person you've chosen is lazy, or disorganized, or scattered. And what happens when those few weeks turn into a few months? I've completely missed market cycles because pressing work I had done before I did it myself were in the possession of the presser for nine weeks...by which time, the entire market had collapsed.

:(

And having little to no turnaround doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't very good...it could be that they don't advertise nearly as much.

It is, after all, only the results that really matter.

As far as shipping times and travel go, keep in mind: for Priority Mail (and I personally would never send anything to anyone for a lesser service), the book gets on a plane if it's not local. So whether it gets on a plane from Boston to Chicago, or it gets on a plane from Boston to Los Angeles, it's still essentially the same amount of time/handling.

Nevertheless, all books should be packed to withstand being dropped from a two-story building, always, at all times.

Something else to keep in mind when deciding to choose a presser:

Do they offer a detailed analysis of every book? Each and every book should be given a detailed analysis, describing essential flaws, wear, and damage, as well as a pre- and post-pressing analysis, in addition to estimated grades. And a detailed analysis can potentially help if there is ever a case where books were damaged after leaving the presser and there is a dispute.

Does your presser screen for restoration? There are pressers who just flip on the switch, put the book in the press, and that's the end of it. But a good presser will also examine your books carefully, and if restoration is detected, the client should be immediately made aware.

I have saved my clients hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, by detecting restoration that was unknown to them, saving them the expense and annoyance of receiving a Restored label book as a surprise.

Does your presser ever REJECT books? A good presser will recognize when a book is too brittle or otherwise too fragile to be pressed using conventional methods, and avoids significant damage by not doing work that would better be done by a paper conservator, should it be desired and cost-effective.

All important things to consider when sending out your books.