• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch #1: Why so costly in high grade?

42 posts in this topic

Does have some historical value to Torch collectors - it's the first ever Human Torch number 1 issue although a reprint. The 1940s series started with issue # 2. Let's hope we don't see someone trying to pass it off as the much needed missing number 1 issue for the 1940's run - I could see it now: "No Torch run is complete without the later printed first issue..."

Ya, you're right. Reprints Strange Tales 101.

http://marvel.wikia.com/The_Human_Torch_Vol_1_1

Heck, if I had $700 to spend, I'd get a decent copy of ST 101.

I couldn't agree more!

Maybe the price is because the book is hard to find in grade? Reprint mags stayed on the racks longer in general and this one probably had a lower print run compared to the average book. If there are lots out there, current prices will soon bring them out.

Ya, you're right. Reprints Strange Tales 101.

http://marvel.wikia.com/The_Human_Torch_Vol_1_1

Heck, if I had $700 to spend, I'd get a decent copy of ST 101.

Actually it reprints ST 101 AND it reprints Human Torch 33 from the Golden age. So they have a Silver Torch and a Golden Torch represented.

What they SHOULD have done is exactly what the cover shows.... a battle between the two torches. Does anyone know if that battle ever happened? I guess it couldn't have once Ultron made the Vision.

What they SHOULD have done is exactly what the cover shows.... a battle between the two torches. Does anyone know if that battle ever happened? I guess it couldn't have once Ultron made the Vision.

I always thought it reprinted the story from this issue, where the new Human Torch meets the original:

30678428640.4.GIF

So who would win? How would one of them even hurt the other one? Conundrum!

Doesn't Johnny "go nova" in that issue, which burns out the original Human Torch?

And that story was only created (at the last minute) just to keep the original HT copyright active in Marvel's greedy little paws, and not let it go back to the original creator Carl Burgos.

And to rub even more salt in the wound, when Mr Burgos died, not a mention was made in a single Marvel comic. :sorry:

I never see that book for sale very often. Its not rare by any means it just one of those books I don't see much for sale.

And those that you do see, always seem to be beat up copies. I wonder what the census looks like? (too busy to check . . . ) lol

I never see that book for sale very often. Its not rare by any means it just one of those books I don't see much for sale.

And those that you do see, always seem to be beat up copies. I wonder what the census looks like? (too busy to check . . . ) lol

Somehow, I missed this when it first came out. Wasn't even aware of the book until I saw issue 2. A few weeks later, at the Seuling show, all the copies were beat up.

It's a reprint title that isn't worth a whole lot. The numbers make sense to me. (shrug)

Spoken as someone who neither understands nor appreciates the uniqueness of a newsprint quality reprint . . . :grin:

It's a reprint title that isn't worth a whole lot. The numbers make sense to me. (shrug)

Spoken as someone who neither understands nor appreciates the uniqueness of a newsprint quality reprint . . . :grin:

I guess I'll have to spell it out, there have not been a lot of submissions of this comic to CGC because the title is not worth a lot. There are tons of books that fall into this same category. Once the comic starts achieving a certain level of demand, then you'll see the CGC census numbers move up.

But I know you know this.

And for the record, I like this comic just fine.

I guess I'll have to spell it out, there have not been a lot of submissions of this comic to CGC because the title is not worth a lot. There are tons of books that fall into this same category. Once the comic starts achieving a certain level of demand, then you'll see the CGC census numbers move up.

That's cool, but just let me spell it out . . . A #1 BA Marvel Superhero Title from 1974 with 74 total submissions. :sumo:

And for the record, one of my all-time favorite books is a reprint title. :grin:

I'll even bet you can guess which one. :gossip:

That's cool, but just let me spell it out . . . A #1 BA Marvel Superhero Title from 1974 with 74 total submissions. :sumo:

:grin:

I looked and there has to be at least 30+ copies of this issue on E-Bay in raw conditions all over the map. I didn't look to see if any of them are actually in NM condition. There is also a CGC 9.4 (my sweet spot for 70s comics) and a CGC 9.6 listed.

If I were going for a Human Torch comic, I agree with an earlier poster, I'd probably spend the money on the original Strange Tales comic these stories came from or on a Marvel Team Up 1 (1972.) (shrug)

This title is very similar to Marvel Superheroes 32 up (TTA and Hulk reprints) and Marvel Double Feature (TOS reprints.) Again, cool titles, probably even "hard to find in grade" if you can consider any Marvel superhero title from the 1970s hard to find, but these titles also have the reprint stigma attached to them. People submit books to CGC when there is money to be had, so until these titles start fetching good money consistently and people notice, the CGC census numbers will remain low.

This thread is a good start, but would probably be better if the title of the comic was in the title of the thread. These nothing like a CGC board posting to start generating interest from the collectors. :banana: