• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do all these high grade books come from?

49 posts in this topic

Eventually 117-191 (all the 20, 25, 30 and 35 centers) - essentially the entire Bronze Age. I have lots in 9.6 and 9.8, and should have bought more earlier. The prices are going through the moon.

I'm also starting to see more Avengers 9.8's in the 100's coming out of the woodwork lately but there are so damn few in the census that there are stupid expensive. I'm going to stick with mostly 9.6's for now so I can own more than just a handful. frown.gif

Sounds to me like the best strategy for obtaining BA common books in 9.8 for a reasonable price may just be waiting them out. The prices are bound to drop as more and more of them start to show up in the census. It's still so early in the grading game that we have probably only seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to super high grade BA books.

Certainly not the best place to put your money into if you are thinking about investing. The only place worst would be slabbed HG Modern books.

Sounds to me like the best strategy for obtaining BA common books in 9.8 for a reasonable price may just be waiting them out. The prices are bound to drop as more and more of them start to show up in the census. It's still so early in the grading game that we have probably only seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to super high grade BA books.

I agree. The first few 9.8s on a popular title and issue ALWAYS go through the moon, and usually, the next crop of copies don't perform as well. That FF 155 was the first 9.8 I've personally seen, and I think it was the first ever sold at public auction, so the price doesn't surprise me at all.

However, if the populations on a title and issue stay low, then this dropping-off effect usually doesn't occur. Hard to say at this point how the populations on these mid-1970s FFs will go...we could easily look back at this $690 price in a few years as a real bargain. blush.gif There are a quite few books I've passed over the last few years that I thought would end up being more commonly available which haven't panned out that way.

I recently purchased by first Bronze 9.8.... cloud9.gif

marvelpremier2front.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

Well, ya gotta admit, these 9.8 books are stunners! Norrin, on top of its fabulous structure, you've also got a book with terrific color preservation and a very nice wrap. Almost makes me want to try accumulating some myself. What holds me back, though, is an utter unability to distinguish 9.8 books from 9.6 ones. Perhaps Norrin or Donut or others with experience looking at lots of these freakish ultra-high grades could provide some insight as to the detectability of differences, and the change in desirability that these miniscule differences makes.

marvelpremier2front.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

Well, ya gotta admit, these 9.8 books are stunners! Norrin, on top of its fabulous structure, you've also got a book with terrific color preservation and a very nice wrap. Almost makes me want to try accumulating some myself. What holds me back, though, is an utter unability to distinguish 9.8 books from 9.6 ones. Perhaps Norrin or Donut or others with experience looking at lots of these freakish ultra-high grades could provide some insight as to the detectability of differences, and the change in desirability that these miniscule differences makes.

Thanks. acclaim.gif

It was a consolation prize to myself for not getting the Premiere #1 CGC 9.6 that was up for sale a week ago. Reserve wasn't met at $300. I emailed the seller and he wants $440! It was a nice book, but not THAT nice. I can't see paying more than $350 unless it was a pedigree copy.

What I look for on 9.8s are razor sharp corners and a nice wrap. I've seen a few 9.8s with a slightly blunted corner and it makes me wonder if it wouldn't regrade as 9.6 if I sent it back to CGC. crazy.gif

marvelpremier2front.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks. acclaim.gif

It was a consolation prize to myself for not getting the Premiere #1 CGC 9.6 that was up for sale a week ago. Reserve wasn't met at $300. I emailed the seller and he wants $440! It was a nice book, but not THAT nice. I can't see paying more than $350 unless it was a pedigree copy.

What I look for on 9.8s are razor sharp corners and a nice wrap. I've seen a few 9.8s with a slightly blunted corner and it makes me wonder if it wouldn't regrade as 9.6 if I sent it back to CGC. crazy.gif

I got the Premiere #1 CGC 9.6 for $338 (which was originally ComicBookGuy's copy). They make a nice set.

710763-MarvelPremiere1_cgc96_6501996901.jpg

710766-MarvelPremiere2cgc98_%24190_2281750091.jpg