• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying stuff on Craigslist - What do you guys do to be safe?

44 posts in this topic

I'm scheduled to go look at a small collection of books that was advertise on Craigslist this afternoon after work. The guy and I have sent text back and forth part of the morning so I feel confident that he doesn't "sound crazy". He claims that the books are stored in a large "tot" which is too heavy to drag around to a nearby library and its 15 below zero outside so its too cold to meet pretty much anywhere outside. I've give the guys address and phone number to my wife and I'm not planning on carrying in more than $100 - is there anything else you guys typically do to protect yourself before going to look at a collection?

is that what the collection is worth, $100?

if you are worried about being mugged and going alone, may just want to leave the $ in the car and let him know if you are taking it, that you need to go to the car to get the money.

or you could just pop your 1st and 3rd claw, and i'm sure he'd get the point

snikt!

. I meet in public area . I bring total of $100 on me one pocket 30 bucks the other the rest. In case he asks low that way he doesn't see all the cash u were prepared to dishout. Then he be like well I want more now. If he ask low you give small cash bills in one pocket. Or vise versa. But wife is on standby in car with back card n case wants more and it's a great collection. That way I'm still With the guy as wife goes to get cash. Don't want anyone else to sneak n and buy it.

I'm pretty big and ugly so I'm not too worried except you hear stories about crazies. He did not set a price for the set but he listed all the right titles when I asked him what books he had. I plan on bringing $60 in twenties into the house with and extra $200 in the car. Its my Vegas winnings so hopefully they will continue to be lucky.

Bringing a buddy is not feasible since the guy lives near my work and it doesn't sound like a mega collection.

People are generally guarded about giving out their address/phone number - try to be accommodating and offer to meet at a public place if they don't seem to welcome the idea of visiting them at their home. Consider this a risk, but not a red flag as some people can go about things in a private fashion.

A little over a year ago, someone answered one of my ads. He had a few slabbed bullion. He sounded a bit rough around the edges over the phone, and it appeared that he was sleeping on someone's couch (no fixed address) so the whole thing seemed dodgy from the get-go.

When we met up, it was in a quiet parking lot, and about an hour before the Mr Submarine store was to open that morning. Suddenly I see this van rip right through the parking lot entrance, knocking down a sandwich board sign of a shop across from us, and nearly crashing into my car when he backed into the spot (had to honk the horn to warn him he was backing right into me).

The fellow that came with him was an old cantankerous dude. Loudmouthed, and looked like he had spent that morning liquoring up instead of going with a Wheaties breakfast. He was constantly quarreling with the fellow I was meeting.

I was still in my car observing all this and wondered if I should start the car and leave.

I decided to see the situation out, and except for a few moments when the old man was acting hostile while I weighed the slabs and examined them to make sure they weren't counterfeits, it went off without a hitch. I guess he felt insulted that I needed to take these precautions but I did explain my reasons and politely asked if I could perform the inspections.

Just before I left, the fellow apologized profusely for the old man's behaviour, and it looked like he had enough of this guy, but I guess he was his only lodging hope. It got so bad between them that he ended-up jumping in the van and driving off, leaving the old man in the parking lot. The old guy kept saying "ah he'll be back" and I half thought he might not, but had about seen enough and left.

In the 20+ years I've been dealing with people, that might be one of the strangest, but certainly not the worst. So yeah, it can get a bit whaacky dealing with strangers at times, so watch yourself, especially when you're outnumbered at a meeting place. 2c

I've done a couple buys via Craigslist and they all wanted to meet in a parking lot. This guy gave me his address pretty quickly so I've got it and his number. The neighborhood is ok but not the greatest. My spider senses aren't tingling so I'm probably go to at least drive by the place while talking to him.

I met Comicwhiz at his house, I was admittedly a little nervous, until I took one step in his house and he introduced me to his wife and infant. lol

Pretty much, welcome. There's my wife, there's my kid, now come look at all my cool stuff!! lol

Follow your instincts, let someone know where you are, and bring protection. If you don't have/aren't registered for the best form of protection, a quality collapsable baton can do the trick.

I don't have a gun but I'm hoping being 6'5" and 265lbs is enough to tell the guy to pick on someone else.

Follow your instincts, let someone know where you are, and bring protection. If you don't have/aren't registered for the best form of protection, a quality collapsable baton can do the trick.

I don't have a gun but I'm hoping being 6'5" and 265lbs is enough to tell the guy to pick on someone else.

That without a doubt also will help tremendously.

I got told this by a cop friend of mine:

Before you enter any strange place for any kind of cash deal, *always* call someone ("I gotta check in at work, " etc.) and give them that address, then say you'll call again when you're back on the road.

If they get real nervous or try to convince you to not make the call, then GTFO fast.

I've done a couple buys via Craigslist and they all wanted to meet in a parking lot. This guy gave me his address pretty quickly so I've got it and his number. The neighborhood is ok but not the greatest. My spider senses aren't tingling so I'm probably go to at least drive by the place while talking to him.

I wouldn't sweat it. I've done this myself when I was at home alone minding my kids. I prefer the option of having strangers over than driving around with my kids in the car and meeting a stranger at a meeting place, no matter how public. I've also extended the option of meeting-up another day, but if the person needed the money right away, they could come by that same night.

Never meet at someone's house. Always a public area. If they say no, to me, that's a red flag.

Oh, and a concealed weapon isn't against any rules...

(:

-slym

+1

I've purchased a countless number of comics through craigslist, and I've only met someone at their house once. The guy turned out to be really cool, however, I don't think I would do It again, just for safety reasons. As Slym pointed out, a concealed weapon is against any rules, and It's a great idea. There's too many psychos out there nowadays.

If you are going to a persons house, just let someone know their address. The person would have to be pretty stupid to mug you in his own house. I'd also tell the person ahead of time that I was only bringing a very small cash deposit.

People are generally guarded about giving out their address/phone number - try to be accommodating and offer to meet at a public place if they don't seem to welcome the idea of visiting them at their home. Consider this a risk, but not a red flag as some people can go about things in a private fashion.

A little over a year ago, someone answered one of my ads. He had a few slabbed bullion. He sounded a bit rough around the edges over the phone, and it appeared that he was sleeping on someone's couch (no fixed address) so the whole thing seemed dodgy from the get-go.

When we met up, it was in a quiet parking lot, and about an hour before the Mr Submarine store was to open that morning. Suddenly I see this van rip right through the parking lot entrance, knocking down a sandwich board sign of a shop across from us, and nearly crashing into my car when he backed into the spot (had to honk the horn to warn him he was backing right into me).

The fellow that came with him was an old cantankerous dude. Loudmouthed, and looked like he had spent that morning liquoring up instead of going with a Wheaties breakfast. He was constantly quarreling with the fellow I was meeting.

I was still in my car observing all this and wondered if I should start the car and leave.

I decided to see the situation out, and except for a few moments when the old man was acting hostile while I weighed the slabs and examined them to make sure they weren't counterfeits, it went off without a hitch. I guess he felt insulted that I needed to take these precautions but I did explain my reasons and politely asked if I could perform the inspections.

Just before I left, the fellow apologized profusely for the old man's behaviour, and it looked like he had enough of this guy, but I guess he was his only lodging hope. It got so bad between them that he ended-up jumping in the van and driving off, leaving the old man in the parking lot. The old guy kept saying "ah he'll be back" and I half thought he might not, but had about seen enough and left.

In the 20+ years I've been dealing with people, that might be one of the strangest, but certainly not the worst. So yeah, it can get a bit whaacky dealing with strangers at times, so watch yourself, especially when you're outnumbered at a meeting place. 2c

:roflmao:

good one.

I carry a small pen size can of WD40 - that is the most effective weapon imaginable some people can shrug off pepper spray but even the Hulk would be immediately downed by a shot of WD in the peepers. This is for life-or death situations only.

I met Comicwhiz at his house, I was admittedly a little nervous, until I took one step in his house and he introduced me to his wife and infant. lol

Pretty much, welcome. There's my wife, there's my kid, now come look at all my cool stuff!! lol

(thumbs u

If memory serves, I think I was just finishing-up appraising that lady's collection too

Thanks guys. I'll call him and feel him out and my wife has his address so it should be cool. Anyone who has comics can't be all bad . . unless he killed the previous owners and is squatting in his house.