• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most reviled comic book era?

Most reviled era by quality (writing/art)  

519 members have voted

1. 1. Most reviled era by quality (writing/art)

76 posts in this topic

The Modern Age, which you strangely refer to as "Post-Copper"? :tonofbricks:

You replied to me, but I didn't say it.

If I made the polls, I would have referred to the ages by their actual ages... and leave the scrap metals at home.

1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s. lol

Decades would have solved my problem with lumping in a book from 1993 with a book from last week... There's nothing "modern" about a book that is 21 years old and for the 90s!

The post copper boom/bust/chromium/drek age was very short lived and ultimately the worst period ever in the industry. Can anyone think of a book from 1993-1995 that is worth anything raw?

It's funny, but I'm going to answer my own question about 1994.

Preacher Preview

1993-1995 would be

Preacher Preview

Preacher #1

Strangers in Paradise (first series)

Bloodshot #0 Platinum (not really fair, since the book shouldn't exist)

GI Joe Special

GI Joe #155

Chaos Effect Alpha Red (another variant, not a "pure regular raw")

Scud The Disposable Assassin #1

Next Men #21

San Diego Comic Con #2

Superman #75 Platinum

Man of Steel #18

Vengeance of Bane

Miracleman #24

Simpsons #1

So... yes... there actually are books from the "worst couple years" that have value...

but there are hundreds of millions of books from the same era that don't.

This is something i've noticed and disliked about the classification, it is high time people start referring to the modern age for only anything within the last 10 years at most and classify the Post-Copper age stuff accordingly as it is SUCH a difference and obvious change of age.

Naming the age after copper to modern, is honestly such a confusing and inaccurate way to do things, and the range for copper dates is so stretched out when an obvious divide occurred within it (hence the post-copper age). The term 'modern' age should be a fluid descriptor which applies to only literally the most recent age we are in (last 5 to 10 years?).

Heck, can we just stop calling them anything at all and just reference them by decades. Leave Platinum/Golden/Silver/Bronze in place any anything afterwords go by decade. :)

The post copper boom/bust/chromium/drek age was very short lived and ultimately the worst period ever in the industry. Can anyone think of a book from 1993-1995 that is worth anything raw?

Preacher Preview

1993-1995 would be

Preacher Preview

Preacher #1

GI Joe Special

GI Joe #155

Next Men #21

San Diego Comic Con #2

Superman #75 Platinum

Man of Steel #18

Vengeance of Bane

Miracleman #24

Simpsons #1

So... yes... there actually are books from the "worst couple years" that have value...

And as far as reading...there's a great amount of quality reading material, great reading material even, that came out during the 'post-Copper' era.... just not necessarily a lot of quality Big Two Superhero material, which is what most people judge by.

The Modern era for me started when Ultimate Spider-man #1 came out.

'92-99 should be named the era that shan't be named.

The Ultimate books were great when they came out. Any idea why the whole concept just fizzled out?

Preacher Preview

1993-1995 would be

Preacher Preview

Preacher #1

GI Joe Special

GI Joe #155

Next Men #21

San Diego Comic Con #2

Superman #75 Platinum

Man of Steel #18

Vengeance of Bane

Miracleman #24

Simpsons #1

And as far as reading...there's a great amount of quality reading material, great reading material even, that came out during the 'post-Copper' era.... just not necessarily a lot of quality Big Two Superhero material, which is what most people judge by.

For sure when we look at it big two gets the most attention. Also interestingly from that list the 2 biggest big 2 books MOS18/VOB1 where published 12/92 and 1/93. So those were both on stands before 1993.

Copper and "post copper" should be one selection, ie copper/post copper.

No, these eras couldn't be more different. The CA was all about the writer and the stories as star, with Moore, Miller, Gaiman, et al teaming up with pretty any well artist and selling through the roof. CA was about quality over style.

The Modern (which has been referred to as Post-Copper) was all about the artist and art, with no thought to the story, which drove mass speculation/high print runs and helped almost kill the biz.

Beat me to it. Right on every point.

Kids, eh? :makepoint:

I can remember walking into my LCS the day Spider-man #1 hit and there was no question that a new era was dawning. People I'd never seen were buying stacks/cases, specs were fighting over which versions/color would sell for the most in the future, people were asking if they should open up the polybag, and I knew right then that the CA was over and done with.

And I was right.

Was the exact day I stopped buying comics. 1990. I took a break from comic collecting until 2004.

Doesn't mean there was not anything good during that time period, there certainly was.

It's not supposed to be a debate about what the ages are, it's a poll and he choose what ages he wanted use. :facepalm:

But the answer to the poll as designed was clear in the first 10 minutes.

The only thing left to do was continue the discussion about the poll itself.

The Ultimate books were great when they came out. Any idea why the whole concept just fizzled out?

People realised that USM was just ASM made modern? The other titles, I have no idea...

(Obviously, I have no idea on any of them) (:

-slym

People realised that USM was just ASM made modern? The other titles, I have no idea...

(Obviously, I have no idea on any of them) (:

-slym

Everyone knew they were basically retellings/reimagining in a more current era. But they were actually good stories. USM was really fun and Ultimates 1 & 2 were great.

Heck, I even liked Ultimate X-Men and I'm not an X-fan.

In my opinion, the era from 1996-2005 offered a lot of strong comics. It wasn't a creatively rich period such as the Silver Age, but there were a lot of different and fun comics. It's one of my favorite periods as a reader and keeper of comics.

Golden Age and Copper Age are tied in terms of low quality. There are high points in each, but there's a lot of printed work we'd rather forget existed in those ages. I know most Golden Age books are considered valuable, but it is rarely because of the quality of the work itself.

More like 90-99, since the entire 1990's were the flip side of the 80's. Valiant, then-top seller Spider-man #1, whose record was broken by X-Force 1, whose record was then broken by X-Men 1, all hit in 1990-91.

Copper and "post copper" should be one selection, ie copper/post copper.

-J.

are you that desperate to be right about your assertion that copper books are the most reviled comic books of all eras?

everyone else has made the point, but I'll second it (third? fourth? 15th it?)

This comic book...

Detective_Comics_27.jpg

is not the same as this comic...

amazing-fantasy-15-robojo.jpg

just like this comic

ama1.21607a.jpg

is not the same as this comic

zqyMYjO.jpg

*shudder*

So post-Copper is appropriate enough for the poll to cover the Image Explosion timeframe (spec) books

But the record-setting Marvel #1's (Spider-man 1, X-Force 1 and X-Men 1) were what really started the whole mass speculation phase (with a nod to Death in the Family) and those were from 1990-91 and far outsold anything from Image.

In fact, that these trio of new Marvel titles from McFarlane, Liefeld and Lee broke sales records was the main reason these three guys believed they could make a go of it on their own as Image.

So post-Copper is appropriate enough for the poll to cover the Image Explosion timeframe (spec) books

But the record-setting Marvel #1's (Spider-man 1, X-Force 1 and X-Men 1) were what really started the whole mass speculation phase (with a nod to Death in the Family) and those were from 1990-91 and far outsold anything from Image.

In fact, that these trio of new Marvel titles from McFarlane, Liefeld and Lee broke sales records was the main reason these three guys believed they could make a go of it on their own as Image.

The Image stuff was a result of those books, so I would group those books as part of the timeframe I called the IE, even if they aren't Image books.

I suppose I could've worded it better, but certainly those books are part of it.