• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric Stephenson's speech

62 posts in this topic

Was hoping someone would post this. Certainly some VERY good points but...

Not sure what to think of it all because all I can think about is NWM and shake my head.

+1

NWM erodes Stephenson's credibility when it comes to discussing excellence in publishing, and supporting retailers.

Not sure what to think of it all because all I can think about is NWM and shake my head.

+1

NWM erodes Stephenson's credibility when it comes to discussing excellence in publishing, and supporting retailers.

This is what I was thinking too.

It's like a shoplifter talking on how immoral it is to rob banks.

I think e.s. is a standup guy who has hit some issues with the NWM team (from what I understand). I heard in the NWM thread that the artist is changing for the next arc, so we'll see what happens.

For the record, I thought NWM was one of the most promising titles to come out in recent history. Sadly, the delays created a big bump in the following. I need to re-read 1-6 to remember what is/was happening.

+1

apples and oranges. You'll realize that after you read the speech.

As the Publisher of Image Comics, Stephenson is on solid ground to say everything he is saying.

If it was Stephenson making a speech about how writers of creator-owned books should tighten up their turnaround times, then I'd have an issue with it.

Every time I see his name, NWM pops in my head.

Every. Time.

And I didn't even read the book!

Really? I think of Michael Jordan (shrug)

Haha, what I meant is that people have been blasting him on these boards for so long, he will always be viewed negatively to me.

You all are a bunch of brainwashers!

Wonderful Speech. I like the fact he stopped posting here. It says something about some on here that even argue against what he said.

You stop ordering variants; we’ll stop making them.

The above statements is all that needs to be said about variants.

Do your part, will you stop buying and selling variants?

I know I won't, too much good money in it, and allows me to buy the SA/BA books I like :)

I think he has made it a point in the past that he is the Publisher of Image Comics first.

The writing stuff comes second and only on his personal time. (ie: when he is not being paid to be Image's Publisher)

Honestly it sounds like he has his priorities straight.

I loved NWM just as much as the next guy and will definitely support it when it makes it out again. But, the speech just goes to show how in tune he is with his gig @ Image Comics which I feel is way more important for the industry than his book which will come when it is ready.

+1

apples and oranges. You'll realize that after you read the speech.

Implying I didn't read the speech? (tsk)

You are right, the position of publisher and the position of writer of a creator owned project are apples and oranges.

However, in this case, Mr Stephenson is both. And, as the publisher, he's making points that he himself failed at in his position as writer. Hell, he even addresses shipping schedules and variants. Take Marvel and DC to task for weekly/biweekly shipping? Better than the bi-yearly NWM schedule. Take Marvel and DC to task for shortsighted cash grabs? How was the NWM variant release scheme different?

Thus, credibility erosion. Pot. Kettle.

I think he made some good points in his speech but call wildly_fanciful_statement on the variant rant.

Image are as guilty as everyone else with multiple variants and retailer incentives and it's been in their history from the beginning and throughout. Make the call and either do them purely with a 1:1/equal ratio so retailers don't get stuck with the rest of a 1:15, 1:20 etc... Or don't do them at all and let the covers improve and actually sell what's inside the covers like how they did when they were actually disposable entertainment for children.

Everyone is guilty of this and retailers will stop ordering them when customers stop asking for them to on their behalf, when publishers stop advertising that they'll be producing them. Remember, that the majority of them are solicited two months in advance and no doubt the decision to go ahead with them is made even earlier.

It would be great if the comic industry managed to gain readership levels of say, France or Japan but there's a lot that would have to change which E.S. mentions:

Price, double/weekly shipping, and the one I'd like to see the most, everyone cutting back the tertiary titles and keeping one main book for Spidey, FF, X-Men, Avengers, Batman, JLA, Superman etc... If a story can't be executed in one issue to the next without it feeling like a decompressed ripoff, then that's some poor work being published.