• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can someone tell me whats going on here?!

91 posts in this topic

I have some faded Conan comics that have lost some of the bright colors. Store owners leave the comics out in the light too long which causes the ink to fade. Wall books should rotate.

bb

I think you can see the fade on my Conan but another issue with some fade has a sharp red color on the back. Comics that I bought from the Curious Book Store when the shop was on Grand River in East Lansing are still bright colors.

12960229655_95a6bdef4c_c.jpg

I don't remember whether it was the bright colors or the extra pages that attracted me to these issues but I stayed because of the Barry Windsor art.

You can see where the price sticker was on the bag.

Here's an ASM 97 I found in a $5 box about 10 years ago. Wasn't sure if this was sun fading or kid with crayon. But the back cover has the same thing going on. Could it be a printing error?

AMS97-front.jpg

AMS97-back.jpg

Looks like the ink was running out on the red plate, you can see it where it would have been added to the blue to make purple as well. The blue plate seems to have issues as well, seen in Spidey's costume and where it was overlayed on yellow to make green, but not as bad. Definitely a printing error.

Definitely faded. There are many faded storefront issues out there. It's not special nor desirable. Yes sure looks cool in its current duo tone effect, but it's a damaged copy with no extra value

Coinees pay extra for nicely toned coins. Maybe this will be a fuure niche market in comics, as well.

re: Surfer book:

I personally think it is a combination of printing error and fading.

Look at the guy on the left side of the cover, on the VG copy he is green, on the other copy he is blue. Suggests a lack of a color printed. I also see fading. I think this book has had both.

Nope, that's just what happens with light/sun fades colors.

We left a pile of pop cans out after a BBQ, and I collected them a few weeks later for the recycling and everything was reversed, like an anti-universe. Red was yellow, light green was lighter blue, dark green was darker blue (background blues came out of hiding with the sun wiping out the yellows), etc.

Here's a picture I found online from a UV experiment, and even with this mid-green color, you can see the faded areas turning light blue:

sunfade6.jpg

Here's an ASM 97 I found in a $5 box about 10 years ago. Wasn't sure if this was sun fading or kid with crayon. But the back cover has the same thing going on. Could it be a printing error?

AMS97-front.jpg

AMS97-back.jpg

This is actually a symptom caused by poor storage in the good old days.

It's commonly found on books that were stored in cling wrap before

comic bags were around. The rich/deep inks would transfer to the cling wrap

as they were stacked upon each other. Once the book was removed from the cling wrap it would unevenly lift/transfer the inks.

as they were stacked upon each other. Once the book was removed from the cling wrap it would unevenly lift/transfer the inks.

Good catch, and I have seen/heard of that before, but for some reason I totally forgot that as a possible culprit.

I have seen comics stored in old plastic bags and the top comic looked just like that, with significant ink loss.

Red_Hood!? For a second I though RedHook had sneaked back in here. :D

Like JC said... good catch.

Good catch, and I have seen/heard of that before, but for some reason I totally forgot that as a possible culprit.

I have seen comics stored in old plastic bags and the top comic looked just like that, with significant ink loss.

It took me a while to figure it out too. It's been years since I've seen a book with that problem.

I mentioned earlier that it was caused by poor storage in the old days. Funny, as many of us thought we were protecting the books with that technique.