• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is undervalued today?

62 posts in this topic

It seems true NM 20-cent Marvels are pretty good buys even at full guide as most of them only list at $10-15, with many under $10. However, I think that's a case of them being undervalued in OS as they bring quite a bit more in the "market". Look for those horror books to rise in next year's OS as they are now selling for good prices.

Which brings me to the part of your question where you ask "...do you think are under-valued in...the market." I don't see how anything can be under or over-valued relative to market prices (whether the market is shows, ebay, dealer websites, Heritage, etc.,.). Shouldn't "the market" be the baseline by which OS or other guide prices are judged to be over or undervalued? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It seems true NM 20-cent Marvels are pretty good buys even at full guide as most of them only list at $10-15, with many under $10. However, I think that's a case of them being undervalued in OS as they bring quite a bit more in the "market". Look for those horror books to rise in next year's OS as they are now selling for good prices.

Which brings me to the part of your question where you ask "...do you think are under-valued in...the market." I don't see how anything can be under or over-valued relative to market prices (whether the market is shows, ebay, dealer websites, Heritage, etc.,.). Shouldn't "the market" be the baseline by which OS or other guide prices are judged to be over or undervalued? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure, the market is the baseline, but that doesn't mean the market price can't be cheap when considering a comic's key status or importance. If it makes it easier, what comics today do you think are a particularly good buy in relation to where they will be in the future. For instance, I think the market under-valued ASM 129 a few years back. What books today will follow a similar pattern?

I swear, you guys give lawyers a run for their money when it comes to being nit-picky and technical over language. frustrated.gif

Which brings me to the part of your question where you ask "...do you think are under-valued in...the market." I don't see how anything can be under or over-valued relative to market prices (whether the market is shows, ebay, dealer websites, Heritage, etc.,.). Shouldn't "the market" be the baseline by which OS or other guide prices are judged to be over or undervalued?

At first glance, this statement appears to be correct. But think of it this way.

Assume you have a Tales to Astonish #77 in CGC 9.2. On face value to many people, that book should be worth the same as a #76 or #78. There is nothing special about it. Yet, Colomore pointed out on another thread that there are only two CGC 9.6 and NO 9.4's (and only two 9.2's).

So here's a book that might be a lot hard to find in high grade than one would expect. And if 3-5 years from now, no more show up, you could expect bidding to get heavy on a book like that just because it is obviously harder to find.

So to answer what books are undervalued in the marketplace, I would look at Silver-Age (and maybe some early Bronze-Agee) books that have low census numbers (in high grade) compared to issues around it. And if they are selling for close to the same value, than you might be able to extrapolate that the low census book is being UNDERVALUED by the Market.

I agree. Some of the more obscure titles especially are still under $10, and are real buggers to try and find in NM. Even some of the mainline titles (Thor and FF come to mind) have great covers and relatively low Guide values.

What comics (from any age, in any specific grade) do you think are under-valued in either Overstreet or in the market? Personally, I think HOM 174 and HOS 81 are. Any other opinions?

Why stop there? I believe this statement is true for all high grade Bronze DC horror, especially issues with quality covers by Wrightson, Adams and other greats from the era. Keep a watchful eye over the years for bronze House Of Mystery, House Of Secrets, Witching Hour, Ghosts, Unexpected, Weird War and other similar series.

Vampirella Hardcover #1

Overstreet ballparks this one in NM for approx $400 (as I recall without checking my guide).

If an unrestored NM copy of this exists then my guestimate is that it would go for several grand. I saw a Fine+ go for $1500 a year ago.

What comics (from any age, in any specific grade) do you think are under-valued in either Overstreet or in the market? Personally, I think HOM 174 and HOS 81 are. Any other opinions?

All the high end books (exspecaily keys) are over priced and the low end books (commons) are under priced thumbsup2.gif

It seems true NM 20-cent Marvels are pretty good buys even at full guide as most of them only list at $10-15, with many under $10.

Amen to that, even obscure titles when I find them, I snag as many as I can yay.gif

Why stop there? I believe this statement is true for all high grade Bronze DC horror, especially issues with quality covers by Wrightson, Adams and other greats from the era. Keep a watchful eye over the years for bronze House Of Mystery, House Of Secrets, Witching Hour, Ghosts, Unexpected, Weird War and other similar series.

True that! Now hurry up and flip me some books out of those EBay lots you picked up! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Seriously though, I am always shocked when I am able to pick up VF copies of those titles (with some of the best comic covers ever) for 20% guide. It's a buyers market for 6.0-8.0 BA horror.....hope it stays that way.

I agree. Some of the more obscure titles especially are still under $10, and are real buggers to try and find in NM. Even some of the mainline titles (Thor and FF come to mind) have great covers and relatively low Guide values.

Thor SA always struck me as relatively cheap considering the other SA Marvel titles. Anyone else find this to be true? I was thinking about starting on those.....

Thor SA always struck me as relatively cheap considering the other SA Marvel titles. Anyone else find this to be true? I was thinking about starting on those.....

Silver Age Thor's have been picking up recently, especially the JIM Thor's.

Daredevil, Sgt. Fury still cheap.Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish & Strange Tales still somewhat good deals too. What I have seen over the years is that, while one title moves up in value and becomes a little pricey, collectors look for the undervalued and begin to drive that item up. It's like climbing a ladder: you do it one foot after the other. Just MHO! juggle.gif

I am always shocked when I am able to pick up VF copies of those titles (with some of the best comic covers ever) for 20% guide. It's a buyers market for 6.0-8.0 BA horror.....hope it stays that way.

It's a buyer's market because it will NEVER be a seller's market for BA books in these grades. They will never be scarce enough or in sufficiently great demand in these types of grades to see a big run up in prices. So if you're asking what's undervalued so you can complete some runs cheaply, that's great. But if you're asking what's undervalued so you can flip in a few years, that's not so great.