• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the cover of a key book like Avengers 1 be signed?

25 posts in this topic

The debate over whether Pedigree books should be signed has been discussed and debated before so the question here concerns non-pedigree keys. For those of you that are okay with signed books and may even collect CGC Signature Series key books, I'm curious to know whether there are certain books that you believe should not be signed since the cover affords no good spot to place the signature. One key book that comes to mind is Avengers 1 where Stan Lee's signature has consistently been placed on the center caption. Is that really a good spot to place the signature? If not there, is there any other place to put it on this great cover? Would it be better to have the signature placed inside the book?

The debate over whether Pedigree books should be signed has been discussed and debated before so the question here concerns non-pedigree keys. For those of you that are okay with signed books and may even collect CGC Signature Series key books, I'm curious to know whether there are certain books that you believe should not be signed since the cover affords no good spot to place the signature. One key book that comes to mind is Avengers 1 where Stan Lee's signature has consistently been placed on the center caption. Is that really a good spot to place the signature? If not there, is there any other place to put it on this great cover? Would it be better to have the signature placed inside the book?

I personally hate my Keys signed. If its pre-1980s I don't like the signature. Anything modern with a signature I don't mind. Every time I have purchased a SS key book I end up selling it. It bothers me that someone placed a giant scribble on the front page. That's just me though.

If I did get an autograph on a big key book, I would go for a lower grade copy neatly signed inside or smaller off to the side on the cover so that it isn't written onto of any of the main artwork.

It's a really hot topic, while it is the persons book to do as they want, it also lowers the pool of copies available for the future. The more common the book, the less collectors will have a problem with it. If it makes the hobby more fun and special for you, then you should go for it and tell him where to carefully sign.

This has been done to death, but the prevailing opinion, which I share, is that the likelihood of ever hurting the available unsigned copies of any silver book, with very few exceptions, is slim to none. I have had many silver keys signed. Always lower-grade books, which I think is appropriate. I personally am not a fan of getting high-grade early books signed. That is where I personally draw the line, because at that point, you ARE impacting the amount of "virgin" copies in the wild.

I recently had a Sgt. Fury signed by Stan but only did it because it is a second copy I have of the book. I like SS books but wouldn't have done it if it were my only copy of a key book. But with that said, if someone wants to, it's their book, they can do whatever they want.

Since the first 4 replies didn't bother to actually read the OP, I will highligh the main issue/concern here:

For those of you that are okay with signed books and may even collect CGC Signature Series key books, I'm curious to know whether there are certain books that you believe should not be signed since the cover affords no good spot to place the signature. One key book that comes to mind is Avengers 1 ...

So, with that said, I have to agree that certain covers just do not lend themselves to signatures (if that is your thing). Avengers #1 is a perfect example. I find Hulk 181 to be another one (maybe Hulks chest?).

Essentially, it just boils down to 'the busier the cover, the less surface area for a good signature placement.'

As for signatures on the inside cover... if it's being slabbed why bother. If it stays raw then (thumbs u

5 replies.

4 of which did not read the original post apparently lol

lol

Okay, I admit my post may have been a bit reactionary to secondary posters. I actually think Avengers 1 isn't that bad of a book to get signed. A good spot is on Loki's helmet. That's where I had my old copy signed and it looked great. For Hulk 1, my copy is signed at Banner's waist and it looks decent. Spidey 1 has a lot of sig real estate I think. Hulk 181 is pretty tough.

As for signatures on the inside cover... if it's being slabbed why bother. If it stays raw then (thumbs u

I'm actually a fan of inside signatures for books that will be slabbed. To me it seems to be the best of both worlds. You have a guaranteed authentic signature that you know is there, and it doesn't mar a front cover that may not be that suitable for a signature anyway. If you really want to see the signature take a photo of it before you slab the book. What's not to like?

I'm a huge fan of collecting signed mid-grade key books.

If I had a choice for Avengers 1, I would have Stan Lee sign it right in the middle red text bubble where it says "Can the combined powers of The Avengers defeat the sinister spells of Loki, God of Evil."

Maybe im the only person, but my favorite place for a book without an obvious sweet spot to be signed is right thru the title.

Maybe im the only person, but my favorite place for a book without an obvious sweet spot to be signed is right thru the title.

That is a great option with a busy cover like Avengers #1. I'm not a fan of covering up anything that contributes to the artwork, and the word bubble on Av #1 definitely falls into that category for me.

I dislike all signature series books. I think it's a shame to deface any book like that (tsk) , especially a rare, older or high grade book from any era. I think it should be against the :rulez:! That being said, a lot of original art is signed...which I think is great. But, that is because the signature is usually inconspicuous or integrated into the artwork. Personally, I would never buy any signature series book.

On another note...It really irritates me that the registry gives a SS owner additional points for signed books :pullhair: ! I think they should be assigned fewer points (same a qualified or restored)...or at the very most, the same as a blue label with the same grade! :mad: In reality, SS books should have their own set in the registry...but I'm sure that would be a nightmare for the webmaster and CGC. meh Any way, I hope my rantrant didn't anger too many...that's my 2c !

You are the only person. :grin:

My preference for creator signatures is on the top or bottom of the splash page.

I never get my books signed. I just don't care for it. However if you want to for whatever reason my opinion is you should bring a good quality pen and request the book be signed in that rather than the thick marker i keep seeing so many recent Stan Lee sigs in. I have to say seeing all those thick ugly sigs on the covers of those classics hurts.

With the advent of slabbing it would seem everyone wants the sig on the cover so they can see it. When i was a kid i got a nice Claremont sig on the splash page of my x-men 94(my first grail snagged for $35 books out of a comic book ad at a time when you couldn't get even a decent copy for less than a $100 and mine was a legit 8.5). I would never do that again, sigs just aren't my thing.