• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the cover of a key book like Avengers 1 be signed?

25 posts in this topic

If you're going to get an Avengers #1 signed, how about above Hulk's shoulder leading into Thor's hammer whirl? Good placement, but personally I would say no for a mega key book like that SS, especially in a high-ish grade.

When I was in high school (early '80's), a LCS had a FF #1 on the wall for just under $150, signed by Stan Lee, in thick marks-a-lot marker. No lie, the signature took up almost the whole cover. I couldn't justify spending that much for a mutilated book back then. If it were today though, an FF 1 is an FF 1

I'm not terribly keen on signatures. I have one SS book, a Strange Tales signed by Jim Steranko. I like having that one signature but haven't felt compelled to go for more. In general, I think SS books are like wallpaper. When I go to sell my house, what are the odds that someone will look around and say, "Wow, I love that wallpaper. I'm sold!" Wallpaper is idiosyncratic, and signatures are much the same. The comics I own will pass onto other collectors, and myself, I'd like to see those comics pass on "intact". The splash page is a good location for an unobtrusive signature that still adds interest to the book.

It would be cool to own a book signed by Kirby, though I would want a non-SS book with a splash page sig.