• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what would you grade this.

24 posts in this topic

75% chance that it is 8.0, 25% that it's a 7.5. Reasons?

Slight abrasion on upper left corner.

Four stress marks on the spine; two more that don't break the ink.

Slightly rounded upper right corner.

Creased lower right corner (why do people leave corners folded like this when they scan their books confused.gif )

This is of course assuming that that back is clean & flawless and the interior pages are off-white.

why do people leave corners folded like this when they scan their books

Worse yet, why does CGC sometimes leave corners folded over when they encase the book!?!?

Edited by drbanner

Yes, I have received books that did not have corner bends on them. They did it on a 9.6 book recently. Not too bad but it was a black cover! frown.gif Maybe, we should have a gladiator contest to see whose stubborn opinions is the law! shocked.gif

I don't have stubborn opinions, just opinions!!!

I have a couple CGC (low-mid grade) books with small (1/8" or less) corner creases that they didn't bother to fold back over before sealing them! mad.gif I can imagine their sealing process bending over the corners on some nice high grade books with slight cover overhang. Since I know you bid on his books, did you see this auction? He got two books back that CGC wouldn't seal as they were afraid to damage the overhanging covers. Mile Highs to boot!!

Nothing a little trimming can't deal with! BTW, are you one of those nasty invisible registered users, so I can't e-stalk you! Although, it easy to find you. Any current thread with a CI comment! smirk.gif

Without seeing the back cover, I'd say 8.0..rough bottom of cover, corner crease, some spine stress etc..assuming there's at least SOMETHING bad on the back cover..I'd say it's probably a 7.5, if the back cover is flawless...8.0

Brian

Good idea, so when you see a couple NM Mile High gems on ebay with blue labels you'll fear my 5-year old's proficiency with a scissors!!

Ya...what you don't know can't hurt me wink.gif And hey, I don't see any of his constructive, positive contributions to the hobby on this thread confused.gif

Edited by drbanner

Isn't there either a big tear or printing ripple on the upper-right side, extending into the "N" in the "Iron" logo? It has a patch of broken color at the end of it, which leads me to believe it could be a tear.

I just received an ASM #28 7.0 with a tiny crease (white) folded back on this beatiful black cover! Why didn't a quality control person see this? I decided to list on e-bay anyway! The heck with sending it back.

As far as the book's grade here, 95% probability it's a 6.5 to 7.0. True high grade bronze should have virtually no wear. I've seen 9.8's with small tears in em from a few sellers. crazy.gif

On 9/23/2002 at 4:34 PM, greggy said:

Nothing a little trimming can't deal with!

that's what she said.