• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM slabbed copy of JIM 88/ test your skill/ pressing possible?

23 posts in this topic

Upon further analysis of your images, the bottom corners of your book are not as sharp as most other graded copies at 6.5 and higher so that would keep this book, in my opinion at 6.0 maximum.

The bottom edge of the front cover has some minor impact damage and there also appears to be some impact damage on the LHS of the back cover near the word 'REWARD'. The evidence of the darker vertical line where dirt and grime have accumulated suggests that.

There is minute chipping along the RHS of the front cover that I think can be attributed to "Marvel Chipping" and at this grade level will no have any effect whatsoever.

So finally, getting back to the two small tears at the top of the front cover, one just above the 'Y' in JOURNEY and another above the 'N' in INTO. These two tears are in my opinion responsible for tipping the scale from 6.0 to 5.5 maximum.

Here in lies the dilemma. Do you resubmit this book with the hopes of getting a .5 grade bump, which by no means is unreasonable given the subjectivity of grading on any given day and the fact that we are all human? Do you chance the possibility of restoration detection, although I think the probability would be extremely low. Or do you enjoy the book in it's given grade and encapsulation because so many other of us don't have one in any grade?

The call is up to you Chad but after spending almost an hour and a half reviewing your images and comparing then with similar CGC graded and HA graded books of varying grades I am comfortable with the 5.0 CGC has assigned your copy.

One thing that you must take into consideration when looking at your book is that under the encapsulation plastic and the inner sleeve jacket some of the less visible defects can be lost without exhaustive investigation and looking at the book from multiple angles. I have some books that I am/was baffled by the grade assigned. I spent many hours looking to see if I could find what it was that was preventing this book from grading higher. I found that it was necessary to look at every (and I mean every) angle when like magic you suddenly see what was right before your eyes - and the graders eyes too!

I would try and put a little more faith in CGC and their graders. They don't always get it right but hey if they and we were perfect then most likely we wouldn't be from this world!

Cheers!

Tim

Really appreciate your time Tim! I got out my HD video camera last night and took up-close details of all the edges and it brought a ton more out than just looking at it with the naked eye. The spine has a small tear about half way down, the top right FC has a pin hole and there are various wrinkles on the back cover( they would come out with a press). Those two 'tears' on the top edge are actually micro creases. It's so hard to get a good scan through a cgc slab, the video picks up so much more that even pictures. The back cover also looks like it was stored on a dirt floor for 30 years lol it's a mess!

Thanks everyone for taking a look, I will be leaving this one in the slab for the foreseeable future - it was actually a gift from my fiancee and won't be sold anyway. Just mainly curious, because I think it looks stellar for a 5. I love the fact that there are no creases on the FC!