• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hopelessly Overpriced On Ebay posted by john ivic

24 posts in this topic

Some Sellers Need To Wake Up

It never ceases to amaze me how some sellers on ebay set prices on their books and are convinced they will sell, no matter how many times they have to list them. Case in point: five CGC issues of the Neal Adams Tomahawks listed the other day graded at 9.4 or 9.6. The prices range from 499.95 to 649.95. This is the third time the seller has listed these books in the last four months. The prices have not changed, nor does he add the best offer option. Needless to say, he won't sell them this time around either. The books are all overpriced by $100 - $200, depending on the grade. One of these books I need, but not at the price he wants. Like I said, wake up and smell the coffee! Or just let your books sit until hell freezes over.

See more journals by john ivic

On certain books i keep, i overprice them and stick them on my ebay store. Gets eyes on the store and if someone wants to pay my ridiculous price, cool, if not, i keep it.
+1makes sense, no harm no foul, let the playas play.

Some Sellers Need To Wake Up

It never ceases to amaze me how some sellers on ebay set prices on their books and are convinced they will sell, no matter how many times they have to list them. Case in point: five CGC issues of the Neal Adams Tomahawks listed the other day graded at 9.4 or 9.6. The prices range from 499.95 to 649.95. This is the third time the seller has listed these books in the last four months. The prices have not changed, nor does he add the best offer option. Needless to say, he won't sell them this time around either. The books are all overpriced by $100 - $200, depending on the grade. One of these books I need, but not at the price he wants. Like I said, wake up and smell the coffee! Or just let your books sit until hell freezes over.

See more journals by john ivic

On certain books i keep, i overprice them and stick them on my ebay store. Gets eyes on the store and if someone wants to pay my ridiculous price, cool, if not, i keep it.
+1makes sense, no harm no foul, let the playas play.
If i had an action 1 id throw it on ebay for a stupid price. Have seen some stores do this as well, when asked, they tell me they really dont want to sell it. Its just for eye candy.

I have been pretty active on ebay for about 2 years and have a pretty busy little store that is growing nicely.

I have tons of repeat customers and have gained enough trust in them that many deals are done privately and I am able to avoid ebay commissions and sell at prices much less than guide or GPA.

I have always felt my own success is due to the vast amount of retarded people selling on ebay. I also buy on ebay myself but rarely. Sellers that don't respond, don't budge if they're overpriced, or act in a condescending way will eventually be weeded out. The market will demand it. My approach has been a breath of fresh air for many of my buyers. Having a seller that talks to you, explains their prices, listens to reasonable arguments, and allows direct contact (call/text) is almost becoming mythology on ebay right now.

With that said, I always intentionally set a VERY high buy it now but always include a Best Offer option as well. And I usually will list a few "vanity" pieces just to establish a bit of street cred and get people looking at my other listings. Check out bradytsmith2012 if you'd like. The more people I get to know the more fun this all becomes!

-Brady