• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crushed spine

24 posts in this topic

Also at the staples, both on the outside and inside indentations and impressions left from applying too much pressure. But I presume that can also happen naturally from stacking books or from trying to press a book by stacking text books or weights to try and flatten a book.

I would imagine that most of the damage would be around the staples, which would be the thickest part of a book.

That's a good point!

I just purchased a Lost Valley from 1954 and I'm a little concerned about this crushed spine thing. Is it possible to actually blow out a spine with improper pressing?

I'll post some pictures later tonight...

I may post this book in a PGM thread but I'll just post this for now and I'm looking for any opinions on it. This is what I have:

A recently purchased raw Weird Science Fantasy #23 (1954) - Lost Valley Pedigree.

The book from the FC to BC looks very sharp... very nice, but I haven't seen this kind of spine damage before on a book that, otherwise, looks great! It wasn't until after I received this book that I saw this thread and wondered if perhaps this might be an example of a 'crushed spine'. Actually, above, I referred to it as more of a 'blown-out' spine.

This book was purchased as a VF- (7.5)...

Here are some close-ups of the spine damage:

Is this just a natural occurrence?

spinecloseup4_zpsfbf11d73.jpg

spinecloseup3_zpsf6287cda.jpg

spinecloseup2_zps108b2fa9.jpg

spinecloseupbk_zpsc29ad4b8.jpg

spinecloseup1_zpsdb042840.jpg

spinecloseupstaple3_zpsaa8a9779.jpg

spinecloseupstaple_zpse2dd26ce.jpg

spinecloseupstaple2_zpse4a47aa4.jpg