• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS #42

85 posts in this topic

Is Star Wars 42 getting to be a big deal?

With the new Star Wars movies announced along with spinoff movies like Boba Fett, the issue has been seeing strong movement for the past year. NM copies in raw are getting $30-50. I've seen CGC 9.6s fetching around $100-125.

Suweet! Thanks Dice for putting a copy in my Christmas Raffle mystery box. :cool:

It is amazing to me to see the prices for this comic move up. It's like Incredible Hulk 181, New Mutants 98, and Amazing Spider-Man 300. There are so many copies out there (especially these last 2 comics) that is is hard to believe these issues can command the money they do. In the case of Star Wars 42, I'm guessing with it being part of the ESB 6-part storyline, there must have been a huge print run on this issue. We know Star Wars 1 had over a million copies printed between all the various printings, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear 500+ thousand copies of Star Wars 39-44 each exist. It sure seems that way with the number of copies floating around...

The CGC census shows:

9.8 - 57 universal

9.6 - 70 universal

9.4 - 25 universal

9.2 - 18 universal

And it is not uncommon to see a collection like greggy and I have of this issue.

But when you compare it to Star Wars 1, the CGC census shows:

9.8 - 219 universal

9.6 - 685 universal

9.4 - 647 universal

9.2 - 351 universal

Clearly, Star Wars 42 has some catching up to do with Star Wars 1. :) This just shows that with a popular character like Wolverine, Deadpool, Venom, and now hopefully Boba Fett, the demand can really negate a large comic supply.

And for no reason, I will point out that Star Wars 3 is the Marvel Star Wars comic I have the most copies of. It has my favorite cover of the run. There are colors on this cover that are reminiscent of Marvel's Silver Age and I have a hard time passing up a high grade copy when I see one. Here is the breakdown of what is in my collection:

Star Wars 3A - 2 CGC 9.6 newsstand copies (3A), 23 newsstand copies

Star Wars 3B - 4 direct copies

Star Wars 3E - 4 direct copies - reprint on cover

Star Wars 3F - 1 newsstand copy - reprint on cover

Star Wars 3G - 1 12 pence copy

Star Wars 3C is $0.35 newsstand variant and 3D is direct reprint on indicia only.

Picked up a few of these unopened 3-packs a few years back that contain reprints

of #1...#2...& #3.

11352418535_c714c504d6.jpg

mm

After looking at these numbers, I think I'm wrong about there being more newsstand copies than direct copies. I'm guessing there is probably a fairly equal number of newsstand and direct copies. For issue 42, I just happen to have more newsstand copies, but overall, I see the trend from newsstand to direct copies changed around issue 38 in my collection. Prior to this issue, the number of newsstand copies definitely dominate over direct copies. By the time you get into issue number 70 and up, the newsstand copies in high grade really starts to diminish to the point where a hight grade newsstand copy of any issue 90 and up is pretty hard to come by.

I collect only high grade (NM- or better) copies of Marvel Star Wars comics. My sources are comic shops, conventions, and E-Bay. While this is by no means a scientific conclusion, I suspect I'm pretty close in my guesstimate for this issue.

I suspect that people buying comics from the direct market in the early 80s were more likely to be collectors than readers and as such the condition of the books would tend to be a little better.

It is amazing to me to see the prices for this comic move up. It's like Incredible Hulk 181, New Mutants 98, and Amazing Spider-Man 300. There are so many copies out there (especially these last 2 comics) that is is hard to believe these issues can command the money they do. In the case of Star Wars 42, I'm guessing with it being part of the ESB 6-part storyline, there must have been a huge print run on this issue.

I think the high print run is negated somewhat by the fact that Star Wars has such a huge following outside of comics, meaning Star Wars collectors that don't normally collect comics are still interested in collecting Star Wars comics.

I prefer Marvel Super Special 16.

That or Marvel Special Edition 2: The Empire Strikes Back.

But, for the true first appearance of Boba Fett in comics, you need The Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Empire Strikes Back (paperback.) This version of the comic has the incorrectly drawn Yoda.

All 3 of these comics were published before Star Wars 42.

With that said, Star Wars 42 is where the money seems to be flowing.

We should sticky this information on these boards. This information comes up every couple of months now as a response to inquiries about Star Wars 42.

Marvel Special Edition 2 is published before the Marvel Super Special and the comics, yet Overstreet lists it as reprints. My money is all over the Treasury as it's alot harder to find in high grade

Here's where my money is on, Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back paperback ! now my Boba Fett collection is all complete :banana:

006_zpse09f870c.jpg

017_zps89ca1f85.jpg

:cloud9:

TERRIFIC!

mm

Here's where my money is on, Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back paperback ! now my Boba Fett collection is all complete :banana:

006_zpse09f870c.jpg

017_zps89ca1f85.jpg

The paperback most likely pre-dates all the other versions of this comic material due to it containing the prototype Yoda pictures.

Nice collection!

006_zpse09f870c.jpg

017_zps89ca1f85.jpg

TERRIFIC!

mm

+1 I remember that book! :cloud9:

Thanks RJS! Yes, its a sketch, but it's an awesome recreation of a bronze age book cover ;) I think Fett is a great character myself, and I am glad to see his Marvel issues featured here on the boards. :acclaim: