• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers #59 (Copy A)

10 posts in this topic

Last one for today… :D

This is a beautiful copy, but unfortunately it has the lower staple which had detached from the cover ("popped", as we say).

I was wondering about the grade (not "Qualified", but an actual grade), as without the detachment I’d grade it as a VF+ copy. hm

Images can be clicked to see larger versions.

Thanks again! (thumbs u

mNHa1r6h.jpg

hS4DZ0vh.jpg

If not for the staple pop i'm inclined to agree with VF+(if not a pinch higher, seen worse 9.0s). It has a slight issue on the edge but for me at least it doesn't hurt the eye appeal of the book too badly as the rest of the book is so sharp (thumbs u . I forget what the grade drop is for a staple pop.

Many thanks for the grade! (thumbs u

As far as I know, the grade drop for a staple pop should be as follows:

– by CGC standards: 2.0 to 2.5 grades less;

– by Overstreet standards: VG+ (4.5) regardless.

So, since I agree with your VF+, it is either a 6.0/6.5 or a 4.5.

I could average it as a VG/F and make it even… hm

Thanks!

Point is: I want to sell it, so I don’t want to grade and price it too high.

Do you think 6.0 is fair? It was such a nice book… :(

6.0 sounds fair, looks fair from the pic of the book. If someone didn't want to get it graded, they could leave it in a mylar and that book would display great.

Thanks!

Point is: I want to sell it, so I don’t want to grade and price it too high.

Do you think 6.0 is fair? It was such a nice book… :(

6.0 sounds fair, looks fair from the pic of the book. If someone didn't want to get it graded, they could leave it in a mylar and that book would display great.

Agreed. I certainly wouldn't price it any lower than a 6.0 - nize book! (thumbs u

With-out the staple pop I would go 7.5 just because of the foxing on the back cover the front cover is nice. Also the way the back cover is two toned It is very white on the bottom and has yellowing up to the top. How much is coming from the last page or an add?

The yellowing is something you’d come across in 95% of Silver Age books, and yes – the whiteness is usually where there is no printing in the insides.

I assure you this is a lot better than a 7.5 without the staple issue – at least 8.0-8.5: there is no foxing on the back cover: some is printing ink (black), the rest is just dirt… :(