• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

That may be true, but for a dark stain in a white letter to completely disappear like that, I'd have a difficult time putting that down to scanner settings.

My opinion, no argument necessary.

-slym

Not going to argue, but I would say IMO it's really easy for that particular stain to disappear from a scan alone. It's not all that dark, and is rather translucent.

Assuming that is the same book, which appears likely, there is a lot of staining on the back cover for this book to have gotten into a 9.0 holder.

It's the same book, but that staining is nothing a little time and humidity can't take care of. Natural stain removal happens all the time, especially with the help of a little solvent. But is solvent wash considered restoration? What about aqueous wash? What about a solvent wash that can't be detected? hm

Stains naturally shrink over time so they get that small you can't see them.

Assuming that is the same book, which appears likely, there is a lot of staining on the back cover for this book to have gotten into a 9.0 holder.

It's the same book, but that staining is nothing a little time and humidity can't take care of. Natural stain removal happens all the time, especially with the help of a little solvent. But is solvent wash considered restoration? What about aqueous wash? What about a solvent wash that can't be detected? hm

Stains naturally shrink over time so they get that small you can't see them.

:roflmao:

-slym

That may be true, but for a dark stain in a white letter to completely disappear like that, I'd have a difficult time putting that down to scanner settings.

My opinion, no argument necessary.

Not going to argue, but I would say IMO it's really easy for that particular stain to disappear from a scan alone. It's not all that dark, and is rather translucent.

Well, how is it that the brown at the top of the cover is darker in the 9.0 version than the 7.5 version, but the stain is gone? Unless they photoshopped it out. Which is disingenuous, but I doubt that happened.

A back cover scan of the 9.0 slab will help answer these questions.

-slym

Foxing is difficult to remove. But I am also interested in seeing a back cover scan of this book. Maybe CGC relaxed its stance on foxing :juggle:

another case of speeding up TAT's by grading the front cover only?

There seems to be a small spot/stain in the "A" on the front cover when it grades 7.5 that is not there on the 9.0

:shrug:

-slym

I noticed that too. If that small stain disappeared it is possible that some of the back cover stuff was cleaned up too.

At best, to hazard that stains have been lightened/removed on this (or any book) is a wild guess, because you're comparing scans, clearly done on different equipment, at different times, and with different results for the color depth. Note the slightly different shades/richness to the main red-brown behind the title.

Scans are great but can only tell you so much, and for comparison of color aren't trustworthy unless you were looking at ones known to have been done on the same equipment, same settings.

That you jumped in with the above response has my spider-sense tingling. hm

Where's the 9.0 posted for sale? Would love to request a bc scan. No way a 9.0 could have that kind of staining.

+1

Another nice book wasted and ruined forever :facepalm:

i sure would love to own this ruined thing.

There seems to be a small spot/stain in the "A" on the front cover when it grades 7.5 that is not there on the 9.0

I noticed that too. If that small stain disappeared it is possible that some of the back cover stuff was cleaned up too.

At best, to hazard that stains have been lightened/removed on this (or any book) is a wild guess, because you're comparing scans, clearly done on different equipment, at different times, and with different results for the color depth. Note the slightly different shades/richness to the main red-brown behind the title.

Scans are great but can only tell you so much, and for comparison of color aren't trustworthy unless you were looking at ones known to have been done on the same equipment, same settings.

IKR?

(:

-slym

Where's the 9.0 posted for sale? Would love to request a bc scan. No way a 9.0 could have that kind of staining.

+1

Buy it then

Just out of curiosity, how is it ruined? Discounting the color & scanner settings, there doesn't seem to be any significant difference between the two front cover scans :shrug:

+1

Buy it then

Just out of curiosity, how is it ruined? Discounting the color & scanner settings, there doesn't seem to be any significant difference between the two front cover scans :shrug:

The lack of hyperbole inherent in your question is not appreciated nor wanted in this thread, sir. (tsk) Take your reasoned inquiries elsewhere. :makepoint:

-slym

It's not my fault you don't understand the subtleties of scanning. :)

It's not my fault you don't understand the subtleties of scanning. :)

There's also an entire range of other stimuli that can set off someone's spider-sense. hm

my-spider-sense-is-tingling.jpg

Explain them, then, please. Such as how the brown portion of the cover is darker on the 9.0 but the brown stain is gone from the white area... like I mentioned before.

:popcorn:

-slym

Here's an old example I saved to my photobucket to remind myself not to trust scans: Same book, exact same scan, left is the Heritage original, the right pulled from an eBay Spectre52 auction.

My guess is the one on the right had a 'levels' adjustment to bleach out the white-areas. A minor enough tweak, but over-done, might burn your retinas.

Tweaked.jpg

Explain them, then, please. Such as how the brown portion of the cover is darker on the 9.0 but the brown stain is gone from the white area... like I mentioned before.

-slym

Well, your interpretation of the colors is off, generally. The 9.0 browns aren't "darker", they're less saturated with color overall -- not as much reds and deeper greens and blues that make up the overall brown appearance, as in the 7.5 scan.

Because of this, the very light-ish spot in the letter on the 7.5 scan, which isn't "brown" but is more of a translucent golden-red, could very well have been less emphasized when the new scan of the 9.0 didn't catch as many of the levels and depth of color as did the scan of the 7.5. The 9.0 scan could have been adjusted in Photoshop to lighten the levels overall, and this tends to blow out light/translucent details in an image.

It's pretty easy to understand how there could be a difference, if you've done a lot of scanning and fiddling with the levels of color information within the images. Same book can look immensely different when scanned on different equipment.

-slym

Here's an old example I saved to my photobucket to remind myself not to trust scans: Same book, exact same scan, left is the Heritage original, the right pulled from an eBay Spectre52 auction.

My guess is the one on the right had a 'levels' adjustment to bleach out the white-areas. A minor enough tweak, but over-done, might burn your retinas.

Tweaked.jpg

Yep, pretty much this. In actuality, the book in hand is probably somewhere in between these extremes.