• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

Yep, pretty much this. In actuality, the book in hand is probably somewhere in between these extremes.

Well, that's a very charitable take on it, I suppose.

My take-away was that some sellers will use scans to accurately reflect what's being offered, while some will make a conscious purposeful effort to...not.

I can be charitable too. :)

Explain them, then, please. Such as how the brown portion of the cover is darker on the 9.0 but the brown stain is gone from the white area... like I mentioned before.

Original image:

Image%202013.11.05%202%3A27%3A39%20PM.png

Some quick & dirty hue/level changes:

Image%202013.11.05%202%3A28%3A32%20PM.png

Blowing out the brown midtones results in the dot being gone.

Yep, pretty much this. In actuality, the book in hand is probably somewhere in between these extremes.

Well, that's a very charitable take on it, I suppose.

My take-away was that some sellers will use scans to accurately reflect what's being offered, and some will make a conscious purposeful effort to...not.

I can be charitable too. :)

I don't disagree with you, but once you've seen enough "blown out" scans you can generally understand the book isn't really that blinding white (for example) -- same with scans that have an overall subdued or grayish appearance, sometimes the book will look better in person. You mentally adjust your expectations for what you'll eventually receive (still beats sight-unseen as it was in the days ordering off a CBG ad.)

Some people's scanners are set up to produce a given appearance, they might choose an auto-levels correct, etc. that can produce an over-the-top saturated color. It's just how their scanning system is set up, and they don't have perhaps the time, inclination, or tech savvy to mess with it.

Explain them, then, please. Such as how the brown portion of the cover is darker on the 9.0 but the brown stain is gone from the white area... like I mentioned before.

Original image:

Pictures are worth a 1,000 of my words. Thanks mschmidt. :)

That you jumped in with the above response has my spider-sense tingling. hm

It's not my fault you don't understand the subtleties of scanning. :)

There's also an entire range of other stimuli that can set off someone's spider-sense. hm

my-spider-sense-is-tingling.jpg

Doesn't take a spider-sense to know that...

:popcorn:

-slym

Here's an old example I saved to my photobucket to remind myself not to trust scans: Same book, exact same scan, left is the Heritage original, the right pulled from an eBay Spectre52 auction.

My guess is the one on the right had a 'levels' adjustment to bleach out the white-areas. A minor enough tweak, but over-done, might burn your retinas.

Tweaked.jpg

That's all well and good, but I don't see any spots on one that disappear on the other.

;)

-slym

Original image:

That helps a lot, thanks!

-slym

My guess is the one on the right had a 'levels' adjustment to bleach out the white-areas. A minor enough tweak, but over-done, might burn your retinas.

The real problem with "accurate" scans is two-fold.

1st off, no scanner accurately replicates a live book 100%.

2nd, even if you have the most harmless of intentions, changing the scan to make it look like you think the book should look like to resemble the book in hand is going be subjective based on the user's interpretation of what the book should look like.

Original image:

Can you adjust anything on the scan that will make the pages appear to stick out farther on the right side?

RAD02B932013812_12724.jpg

Original image:

Can you adjust anything on the scan that will make the pages appear to stick out farther on the right side?

Well now that you mention it...

You saw that I commented upon the differences in comparing scans when done against a white vs a black background, correct?

Page pokethrough is greatly emphasized when viewed against a black background.

In my opinion, the page pokethrough on these 7.5 vs 9.0 scans, is actually pretty minimally different, fractionally so. Though at the bottom of the book, it does appear that there's more page pokethrough noticeable vs. before. Hardly a travesty though, in this case.

You're welcome.

Original image:

When a book is scanned on a black background, any page overhang will be emphasized due to the higher contrast between the book and the background. Not saying that's all that's happening here, but on this particular book, there's no doubt it's an absolute minimal change between the before & after state.

Part of it may be the black background, which I totally agree would change the nature of a scan, but it seems clear to me that the right edge of the book has changed in a way that can't be solely attributable to differences in scanner settings or background color. But, maybe it's just me. This book is way out of my league, so it isn't like I would have been bidding anyway. lol

The real problem with "accurate" scans is two-fold.

1st off, no scanner accurately replicates a live book 100%.

2nd, even if you have the most harmless of intentions, changing the scan to make it look like you think the book should look like to resemble the book in hand is going be subjective based on the user's interpretation of what the book should look like.

Not only that, it is going to look like what you think it should look like on YOUR monitor. A little difference in calibration is going to make the scan look different to someone on a different computer.

Getting back on track.....

Can a 9.0 have this degree of staining?

TTA27CGC75bc.jpg

Has anyone requested a back cover scan from Clink yet? :baiting: We don't know what the back cover looks like now.

I don't use Clink, and have no idea how to request a BC scan from Josh. Let me know and I'll ask. (thumbs u

TTA27CGC75bc.jpg

Has anyone requested a back cover scan from Clink yet? :baiting: We don't know what the back cover looks like now.

I don't use Clink, and have no idea how to request a BC scan from Josh. Got a link to the book in question?

It should come up doing a search for it in the "For Sale" section. I think their e-mail address is something like buysell@comiclink.com or something close to that. I'm happy to request it, I just hadn't because I didn't want to add to the bombardment if 10 other people were going to ask for one.

TTA27CGC75bc.jpg

I don't use Clink, and have no idea how to request a BC scan from Josh. Got a link to the book in question?

It should come up doing a search for it in the "For Sale" section. I think their e-mail address is something like buysell@comiclink.com or something close to that. I'm happy to request it, I just hadn't because I didn't want to add to the bombardment if 10 other people were going to ask for one.

Is there no way to directly request a bc scan from the auction page?