• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

When word of this gets around, everyone will be searching for key books with foxing.

Recently (within the year) I asked Matt about if foxing could be reduced on one of my grails and he said pretty much that it was unremovable. 2c

When word of this gets around, everyone will be searching for key books with foxing.

Recently (within the year) I asked Matt about if foxing could be reduced on one of my grails and he said pretty much that it was unremovable. 2c

You may just need different scanner settings.

The first two letters of the word 'unremovable' may have shrank.

I emailed Paul Tronson (the site owner of the blog/link I shared earlier) and he replied. I asked if he would allow me to post his reply. I think his reply will be of interest to this discussion so I hope he agrees.

The first two letters of the word 'unremovable' may have shrank.

I should have mentioned it wasn't ARVEL omics roup :eyeroll:

I emailed Paul Tronson (the site owner of the blog/link I shared earlier) and he replied. I asked if he would allow me to post his reply. I think his reply will be of interest to this discussion so I hope he agrees.

:wishluck:

It may not just be foxing.

Last year I sold a certain Silver Age DC that had a large top back edge water stain on it, but was otherwise 9.6. It's in an auction this month in a 9.6 blue holder.

Before anyone asks, it's 100% the same book. It came from a collection I bought and most books had a unique identifier on the front cover, including the one in question.

I miss Kenny :(

Pretty sure he's tired of people in the forums spreading misinformation, overreacting to restoration, and trashing his profession so he has mostly given up on this place. I don't blame him.

:wishluck:

It may not just be foxing.

Last year I sold a certain Silver Age DC that had a large top back edge water stain on it, but was otherwise 9.6. It's in an auction this month in a 9.6 blue holder.

Before anyone asks, it's 100% the same book. It came from a collection I bought and most books had a unique identifier on the front cover, including the one in question.

Does the new and improved version have a 1197xxx or 1198xxx serial number?

Pretty sure he's tired of people in the forums spreading misinformation, overreacting to restoration, and trashing his profession so he has mostly given up on this place. I don't blame him.

I hope you're wrong, but I really wouldn't be surprised if you're not.

It must be tough - being on both sides of a thing.

On one hand you're passionate about what you do and on the other,

there are people who hate it and you have to defend yourself all the time.

I think we need to start taking the restoration craft a bit more seriously.

I mean they're restoring King James Bibles and that's ok with the historians.

Restoring funny books doesn't herald the end of the world.

I don't think anyone hates restoration, but most collectors hate undisclosed restoration. They like it even less when the company that restores the books is the same company that grades the books but then decline to be truthful about what they've done to the book by including that information on the label.

In any event, I don't believe Kenny is involved with the "blue label" side of CGC's restoration business anyway. hm

I hope you're wrong, but I really wouldn't be surprised if you're not.

It must be tough - being on both sides of a thing.

On one hand you're passionate about what you do and on the other, there are people who hate it and you have to defend yourself all the time.

I think we need to start taking the restoration craft a bit more seriously. I mean they're restoring King James Bibles and that's ok with the historians.

I think restoring funny books doesn't herald the end of the world.

I'm pretty sure he's just really busy.

2c

So these books are getting washed and pressed and showing up in blue label holders?

Hmmm. Very interesting.

I really hesitate to ask this but is it possible the CGC is simple missing these things ? If truly restored books are sitting in blue CGC labels we have a problem. This is a topic that Paul Litch should look into.

So these books are getting washed and pressed and showing up in blue label holders?

Hmmm. Very interesting.

I really hesitate to ask this but is it possible the CGC is simple missing these things? If truly restored books are sitting in blue CGC labels we have a problem.

You new around here? lol

I don't think anyone hates restoration, people don't like undisclosed restoration.

Disagree. Most vintage collectors hate both. Dozens of people around here including many posting in this thread repeatedly rail against any and all manipulation to a book, disclosed or not. Undisclosed just pisses them off far more. This is particularly true of Silver, Bronze, and modern collectors where profit-motivated restoration is mostly all they ever see. They have little or no exposure to the type of books that inspired a process like leaf casting to be developed.

I think we need to start taking the restoration craft a bit more seriously. I mean they're restoring King James Bibles and that's ok with the historians.

I think restoring funny books doesn't herald the end of the world.

The restorative arts should be applauded. The skills, finesse and techniques are truly wondrous and needed.

What gives them a bad rap in comics is (A) lack of disclosure, and (B) some practitioners not taking the conservator's traditional 3rd party position as 'advocate for the cultural property' between owners and marketing, or concerning themselves enough with 'artifact integrity' by cautioning against and saying "no".

Hmmm. Very interesting.

I really hesitate to ask this but is it possible the CGC is simple missing these things ? If truly restored books are sitting in blue CGC labels we have a problem. This is a topic that Paul Litch should look into.

Missing them, or again redefining what is restoration based on what is "detectable"? If books are being cleaned in some undetectable way by someone who doesn't work at CCS, and the covers are shrinking either as a side effect of this process or through a different process, then this is potentially a new issue. If CCS is cleaning them then shouldn't that be disclosed as restoration?

I don't think anyone hates restoration, but most collectors hate undisclosed restoration. They like it even less when the company that restores the books is the same company that grades the books but then decline to be truthful about what they've done to the book by including that information on the label.

In any event, I don't believe Kenny is involved with the "blue label" side of CGC's restoration business anyway. hm

I don't mind properly disclosed restoration, especially when it serves the dual purpose of conservation too. But we're getting into even slipperier slope territory with blue labels and CGC COI if cleaning is removing stains previously thought to be unremovable using techniques allowed in blue labels.