• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

I have no idea what your talking about. I don't think its a secret that these books were pressed and all I'm saying is that they are ugly, the proof is right in front of you. Not sure what bus your referring too?

Right, I agree that it's not as attractive as one without the peekthrough but my point (and Mike's) is that you don't know what the FF book looked like before it was pressed.

That's my point.

I have no idea what your talking about. I don't think its a secret that these books were pressed and all I'm saying is that they are ugly, the proof is right in front of you. Not sure what bus your referring too?

Right, I agree that it's not as attractive as one without the peekthrough but my point (and Mike's) is that you don't know what the FF book looked like before it was pressed.

That's my point.

There are over ten thousand scans of early SA Marvels on the Heritage archives. Check them out, and you'll see the scarcity with which books from this era show the degree of cover short-fall that the recent batches of CCS-pressed comics do.

That's my point.

There are over ten thousand scans of early SA Marvels on the Heritage archives. Check them out, and you'll see the scarcity with which books from this era show the degree of cover short-fall that the recent batches of CCS-pressed comics do.

I thought it had been concluded that it was from global warming climate change (shrug)

That's my point.

Amazing how you find time to study thousands of scans in the Heritage archives and play match game with thousands of scans on every other site. Kudos to you!

However, how did you miss this one? Surely you must look closely at your own books. Particularly so once they've been pressed. I mean, you do seem to be an expert on the subject. It definitely looks different. According to most of the posts in this thread it's pretty much ruined, even though the shrinkage appears to a lesser degree than some that have been posted.

I'd think you would agree with that, but your list price was more in line with the new 9.2 grade and not the original 9.0 grade.

Actually, should this book even be a 9.0 with the newly shrunken cover?

Here is the remainder of my TOS superhero run. A total of 15 high grade slabs will be offered today and tomorrow, including 4 pedigree copies. The list prices are firm. Time payments can be negotiated for large buys. Payments are accepted by check, money order, or PayPal. Shipping is $12 in the US, $15 to Canada - across the ponds will cost a bit extra.

Disclosure: I did not have any of these comics pressed, but I know that one was - it is noted as such.

Tales of Suspense #47

cgc 9.2 ow

$850 SOLD!

Pressed.

Last gold armor.

TOS47cgc-1.jpg

Nice upgrade from the previous 8.5 grade! :insane:

It used to be this actually. When it was out on consignment, the dealer forgot it was a consigned copy and had Matt Nelson press it:

TOS47cgc.jpg

1. The buyer was shown the before and after scans of my old TOS 47 illustrating the cover shrinkage. Nothing was missed by either of us. Ask him.

2. The largest scan archive in the hobby is there for everyone to use, and is a valuable resource for issues like pressing-induced cover shrinkage.

3. In my opinion CGC should indeed deduct from otherwise ultra-high grade books when their covers have been badly shrunken just as they should for all the other defects caused by pressing. The deduction should depend on the overall grade of the comic and the severity of the pressing defect.

4. The last sale of a 9.2 non-pedigree copy recorded by GPA was for $1955. The last time this book had a GPA-recorded sale for below my price was 2003.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good tantrum.

That's my point.

Amazing how you find time to study thousands of scans in the Heritage archives and play match game with thousands of scans on every other site. Kudos to you!

However, how did you miss this one? Surely you must look closely at your own books. Particularly so once they've been pressed. I mean, you do seem to be an expert on the subject. It definitely looks different. According to most of the posts in this thread it's pretty much ruined, even though the shrinkage appears to a lesser degree than some that have been posted.

I'd think you would agree with that, but your list price was more in line with the new 9.2 grade and not the original 9.0 grade.

Here is the remainder of my TOS superhero run. A total of 15 high grade slabs will be offered today and tomorrow, including 4 pedigree copies. The list prices are firm. Time payments can be negotiated for large buys. Payments are accepted by check, money order, or PayPal. Shipping is $12 in the US, $15 to Canada - across the ponds will cost a bit extra.

Disclosure: I did not have any of these comics pressed, but I know that one was - it is noted as such.

Tales of Suspense #47

cgc 9.2 ow

$850 SOLD!

Pressed.

Last gold armor.

TOS47cgc-1.jpg

It used to be this actually. When it was out on consignment, the dealer forgot it was a consigned copy and had Matt Nelson press it:

TOS47cgc.jpg

Not a serious Costanza'ing... but it has been changed, and IMHO, not for the better. Seems we know it was CCS that did this, too.

:(

-slym

That's my point.

Roy how many more examples from a select batch of submissions do you need before you actually are willing to publicly say more than "its not as attractive as other books"? All we have heard from you is that its maybe its natural, I've seen many examples of peek through before, we don't know what it looked like before, etc, etc, etc. CGC/CCA or whatever have danced around this whole issue and have disappeared hoping that this will just go away.

That's my point.

Roy how many more examples from a select batch of submissions do you need before you actually are willing to publicly say more than "its not as attractive as other books"? All we have heard from you is that its maybe its natural, I've seen many examples of peek through before, we don't know what it looked like before, etc, etc, etc. CGC/CCA or whatever have danced around this whole issue and have disappeared hoping that this will just go away.

The FF #8 that suckerpunched this thread back from hiatus was not from a "select batch of submissions" that had previously been discussed - you just saw a book that had the interior page peak-through and immediately decided to label it as a shrunken book, with nothing to back it up apart from a mind-bogglingly insistence that no early-60s Marvel book ever displayed this defect naturally.

What's next? Scarlet branding some of Ghost Town's old label beauties?

Image%202013.11.23%206%3A01%3A51%20PM.png

That's my point.

Peter, it boggles my mind how irrational you can be because you are using emotion to think rather than logic. You are actually contradicting yourself at times and still continue to plod on (pun intended!)

When you see a book with peek through, then for you every book in that batch becomes a "select batch" even though they are not from the same batch as the Costanza books. Even if it was from 10 years ago, it's still from the select batch! :makepoint:

Also, again you are taking my posts out of context and twisting them to fit what you want them to say but since I can do this dance indefinitely, lets spell it out again from scratch.

It does occur naturally, but I never said the Schave books occurred naturally. I simply said that paper shrinks at the start of the thread in an effort to understand how the Schave books got to where they are now and to reverse engineer the flaw. This was said before we had any definitive proof of what happened to the books.

It's not as attractive as other books. I think everyone agrees on that. I don't know why you'd bring that post up.

CGC, CCA have not danced around the issue. They said it was a mistake and that they will take measures to try and make sure that it won't occur again.

The fact is that you don't know what some of the books you are accusing looked like before and it's at best a 50/50 coin flip at this point on whether it got 'the treatment' or not.

Can you imagine if everyone just flipped a coin to make every decision? Judging by the posts of some, I'm guessing you'd be OK if your comics were graded with a coin toss. :facepalm:

Finally, as mschmidt pointed out, if it was your mega book that was for sale and someone posted "I think Peter's book is Costanza'd" when they weren't sure if it was or not, you'd be all over that conversation correcting the hell out of them.

But carry on.

The peek through problem is a real issue and something I believe is being done with intent. So, maybe a little less hyperbole can be next.

:wishluck:

+1

Goodness gracious, I agree with the doctor!

That's my point.

Tales of Suspense #47

cgc 9.2 ow

$850 SOLD!

Pressed.

Last gold armor.

TOS47cgc-1.jpg

TOS47cgc.jpg

While you do know that it was pressed, what you don't know is how many times it was pressed and submitted before it got the grade bump. Once? Twice? Thrice? Only two people know, and I doubt they would be willing to tell.

While you do know that it was pressed, what you don't know is how many times it was pressed and submitted before it got the grade bump. Once? Twice? Thrice? Only two people know, and I doubt they would be willing to tell.

That's not right, Joe. The 9.0 was a book I consigned to a dealer, who had it on sale for over a year. In SD this past year, he had Matt press some books for him, and this one slipped in when he forgot it was a consignment book. I got the comic back when I took possession of the unsold remains of my TOS run.

Pressed once.

Pressed by CCS.

Grade bumped - you can see why when you look at the lower left corner ding on the front cover of the 9.0 copy.

A small but unmistakable bit of cover shrinkage.