• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Copies of Actions Comics #1 (Saturday Free Comic Book Day)

37 posts in this topic

Local comic book store here in San Diego for Free Comic Book Day always puts on a block party in the parking lot with street vendors, local comic dealers, and live music for such an important day of the year for the comic book store communities.

Jaime Newbold -Socal Comics

Besides the 2000 people (mostly kids) that showed up for FCBD the line was around the block literally for the event.

So besides FCBD being another success for everyone involved two local long-term customers put on display for all to see their copies of Action Comics #1.

Even my jaded arse was in :o

The first copy in the mylar IMO would grade CGC 6.5 and is unrestored!

I talked to the owner who was of course sitting and watching his prized book all day long, and it was fun to discover the details on how he obtained the book. He let me hold it out of the case before he left, and this book is the nicest copy I have ever seen in person. Probably worth now $700-800k.

The 2nd copy in the old school screw tight case is a copy that has somewhat of a Frankenstein AC #1. I think a couple of the pages were married in from what he told me. To be honest I was pretty much fixated on the 1st copy.

Two copies of Action Comics #1 at the same place at the same time.......not even major comic conventions have that anymore.

action1_zpse82f1700.jpg

COPY A

action3_zps92472af8.jpg

COPY B

action2_zpscedb9693.jpg

Side Note:

Copy A's owner also had AC #2-10 on display.

The #2 was a CGC 5.0 Old label (Metro sticker on back) and #7 was absolutely stunning. Only CGC book he has in his collection.

Sorry didn't capture any pics. :sorry:

Both had one thing in common they don't need money and not a fan of slabbing books.

Also no intention of selling in their lifetime, so sorry you $ dealers cause I already tried.

Also no F bombs were used in this store. ;)

I drpped an f bomb when I saw those babies

Is one of those Mitch Mehdy's copy?

To be honest I forget both their first names. But they are both local to SD.

Mitch does sound familiar though.......

CLink sold a 6.5 for 625K a couple years ago. Not sure it'd hit 750K, but certainly just south of 700K.

Maybe GAtor will pass by and lay it down...

CLink sold a 6.5 for 625K a couple years ago. Not sure it'd hit 750K, but certainly just south of 700K

500K was just to get people to head turn.

To the average comic book store attendee 5ook sticker was good enough.

I would assume this copy would sell closer to 800K now.

Both Actions were on display at Socal Comics ?

yes for one day only.

Free Comic Book Day