• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name the single best comic shop in your hometown.

85 posts in this topic

I used to live in Dallas, Titan Comics was were I bought my books too. The Lone Star Comics shop I went to had photo copies of the covers for expensive Silver Age in a three ring binder. The other silver age were in a custom box with plexiglass on top with holes you could reach through to flip the books. Didn't care for that; felt like I was shopping in a Maximum Security Prison Shop.

Washington DC / Maryland area:

The Barbarian Book Shop in Wheaton, Maryland. It's been open since 1973. Proprietor Carl Bridgers is a local icon and a great guy. I got my first job there when I was sixteen and was almost crushed to death under a stack of comics once.

Big Planet Comics in Bethesda, Maryland. Joel Pollack is a great guy. He co-opened this original store (there are now others) in the 1980s with Gene Carpenter.

If you are ever in the DC/Maryland area, check them out.

In Raleigh, NC, Capitol Comics off Glenwood Ave. is a good place for low/mid-grade stuff (I don't shop for high-grade, so I can't really address that aspect). I've found a lot of reader copies of back issues there, and the staff is really friendly. They have a lot of TPBs and moderns, too, although I don't generally buy TPBs or moderns.

Foundation's Edge off Hillsborough St. (right across from NCSU's library) is another good place. Operated by a husband and wife team (and they're both into comics) who are great to talk to, and all the other staff I've ever dealt with have been great, too. LOTS of back issues. The first time I went there, I told the owner that I was getting back into comics for the first time in years, and he gave me 15% off.

The last time I went, they were having their annual fall sale and had 35% off all back issues. I stocked up, and when the owner saw my stack, he gave me 40% off, which knocked over $300 off my purchase. BIG thumbs up to Foundation's Edge.

The DC area is terrible for comic stores. The best is Phoenix Cards and comics in Herndon, but they never have anything older than about 1965. They are good guys though, and can help you get almost anything, and it is 5 minutes from my house. Cards Comics and Collectibles in Baltimore is the best in the area for older stuff.

What about that Barbarian Books place? (Silver Springs or Silver Stream???) I'm still thinking about that place (3 months now) since I went to DC. I've never seen a store with so much clutter in my life. There had to have been 300+ boxes in there and then the guy was saying he had about 4 more storage sheds of stuff.

But your right I didn't start finding better shops until we got closer to Baltimore.