• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM HOS 92 - tape pull

8 posts in this topic

Truley cringe worthy and stunning book.

When I bought it, I noticed the tape pull. And sure enough the tape on the back of the sleeve had the remnants of the tape pull. It was tiny so (after buying it) I cut out the piece on the tape pull along with a crumbs worth of exposed tape and put it back on the comic.

Would you all leave it off? Clearly a major defect but I prefer it like this and don't consider it resto.

FYI, the darker component above the tape pull is part of the purple cover as the title border curves downward there. Its not distro ink or anything like that.

Grades as is please?

And opinions on keeping it as is or taking off the tape pull.

scan0063.jpg

scan0064.jpg

scan0065.jpg

Tough to judge whether or not to leave the tape vs. leaving it off without seeing it without tape. Not sure what you mean by tiny, does it mean that the green above the "NO" and half the letters 'NO" and above is stuck on the tape and is now white?

I personally don't like tape on comic books, with the exception of maybe GA books where adding tape was kind of a normal way to maintain the life of your comic.

If your going to keep it in your collection and it looks better with it, I would leave it.

If I was going to slab it, I would remove it and take the grade they give me. This type of tape pull from some careless newbie pulling a key book out of a bag just drives me nuts and I wouldn't want to see that piece of tape under the slab, it would bug me too much, course that just me. I would rather have a grade without a note saying "Small piece of tape on cover" then a better grade with it, especially on a silver or bronze age book.

To me it looks like 9.0/9.2 on a good day and I'm just guessing they would knock it down to 7.0/7.5 but I really have no clue on this one when it comes to CGC grading.

Thanks, glad to know I'm in good company not knowing what I feel better/worse about.

And I can't stand tape either but my thought is that if tape were on a book in a normal sense, I wouldn't pull it off leaving a big hole or tape pull, I'd leave it.

That I have the option makes it interesting.

And on closer inspection, theres a tear seal w color touch to the left of her elbow - bottom edge. You can see it in the scan.

Comics are crazy.

So did the previous owner have a nice 9.2 type book with a tear, seal it and color touch it, then in handling it later got a tape pull?

Still a agreat looking book and I would leave the tape piece on.

It just presents way nicer than if it was a bare tape pull area.

I have the same problem with my Batman #181 and a tape pull

but with the tape still there.

Thanks, glad to know I'm in good company not knowing what I feel better/worse about.

And I can't stand tape either but my thought is that if tape were on a book in a normal sense, I wouldn't pull it off leaving a big hole or tape pull, I'd leave it.

That I have the option makes it interesting.

Interesting indeed. Where did you buy it? hm

Local, it was a Craigslist purchase. Weird part a lot of the books I bought from this collection have been bought at FMV off of ebay just in the past 3 months. Why sell a box of nice Silver with keys that you just purchased, is beyond me.