• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling on the boards

24 posts in this topic

I'll start by apologising if this thread has come up before, but I struggle with the search function....

Anyway, I have been kicking around on the boards for nearly a year (mainly reading, rather than posting) and my comic hoard has been growing.

This has made my wife a little stressed, so I have promised to sell a few books.

(I did think about selling my wife, but the sales forum did not seem to deal with "wives for sale"... but that is a topic for another thread!) :D

I have noticed that most people on the boards really seem to like selling on the boards rather than ebay or the various auction Sites.

But I wondered how safe this is???

One of the first books I plan to sell is an Avengers #55 - CGC 9.8 which is a pricey book and I'd hate to get scammed. I'm aware that sellers can loose out just as easily as buyers.

Any thoughts, suggestion or advice is appreciated, as is a link to a thread if this has come up before.

Thanks

Did you ruin the IM #55 like you did your other 9.8's by getting pen marks all over them?

:D

No, this one is a blue label

:applause:

Here ya go... Old label Blue goodness

Avengers55_zps726ab6aa.jpg

Try sell it here first. If it doesn't sell then try CConnect or CLink. No 10% here.

I think he's concerned about safety, security, etc. The boards are relatively safe compared to most places, but the auction houses typically provide more comfort for a seller who hasn't done a lot of high value sales.

This pretty much sums up where I'm coming from.

It's what I thought was going to be the case.... Eg the boards are fairly safe, but the auction houses give a bit more security, although they do take a cut.

Guess I need to think on what to do...

In the past I have bought from both ComicLink and Pedigree.

So these are both companies I know.

Is there any reason why no-one has suggested Pedigree for sales?

Thanks

the owner of Pedigree is ... well you should do a google search.

Try sell it here first. If it doesn't sell then try CConnect or CLink. No 10% here.

I think he's concerned about safety, security, etc. The boards are relatively safe compared to most places, but the auction houses typically provide more comfort for a seller who hasn't done a lot of high value sales.

This pretty much sums up where I'm coming from.

It's what I thought was going to be the case.... Eg the boards are fairly safe, but the auction houses give a bit more security, although they do take a cut.

Guess I need to think on what to do...

In the past I have bought from both ComicLink and Pedigree.

So these are both companies I know.

Is there any reason why no-one has suggested Pedigree for sales?

Thanks

the owner of Pedigree is ... well you should do a google search.

The owner of pedigree is a disbarred NYS attorney (barrister) who was disbarred for stealing from over 40 of his clients escrow accounts which he used that money to buy up his collection of comic books, which he then used to create Pedigree.Comics. It's like standing on a disturbed indian burial ground, way too much bad karma over there. I would NOT support him.

HA does a good job putting together auctions, but it could go in a big auction or it could go in a weekly auction, no real control there. (my guess though with an old label big book like that it would probably be put in a featured auction). They do have a high buyers premium (20%) which can cause bidders to temper their bids (I know I don't want to pay GPA+20% on the book, so Id offer on HA up to 20% of guide) They also will charge you 10% of the sale price.

CC (Comic Connect) will do a nice job getting it out there (and it is owned by Metropolis which is a big name dealer here in NYC) No buyers premium there so bidders are more willing to approach GPA or go over GPA because they will pay the hammer price. CC will charge you 10% of the sale price.

Another option is to make the sale through the boards. I know you are worried about getting burned (we all are) so there are some steps you can take. One of those steps is to use a broker/escrow agent. There are some big name boardies on here that I would trust with a bag of money. G.A.tor and Flaming Telepath jump to mind for me (but there are several others as well). FT is over in the UK so you could actually meet with him as well. You could always reach out to one of those boardies to see if they would act as an escrow agent where you would post the book for sale (and make mention in the description about the escrow situation.) The book would be given to the escrow agent and money would be sent to him/her. At which point once everything would clear, the funds transfer to you and the book is mailed out. That would mitigate your risk. The only fees there would be 3% if you decide to use paypal + any fee the escrow agent would charge.

Hope my wall of text helps :hi: