• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When does over collecting become a hoarder in need of help.

39 posts in this topic

Well officially my wife is getting seriously annoyed of seeing more and more comics every Wed. Basically have 20 long boxes stored at my parents, and 10 stored at my own home.

She wants to call the TV show Hoarders on me (lol). Any one else in a similar boat?

I won't even start with how she acts when she see's me sorting through boxes and boxes of hockey cards. FML

Well officially my wife is getting seriously annoyed of seeing more and more comics every Wed. Basically have 20 long boxes stored at my parents, and 10 stored at my own home.

She wants to call the TV show Hoarders on me (lol). Any one else in a similar boat?

I won't even start with how she acts when she see's me sorting through boxes and boxes of hockey cards. FML

I get this all the time. Eventually, you get to a point where there just isn't any more room. Unless you have the money to afford public storage, it does become a strain to everyone around you. The healthiest thing to do is trim the collection down to the necessities. I've been doing that for the last year and it was HARD. First, I was just bummed that I had no other choice. But, but by trimming the fat I ended up purchasing some keys with the money I got from selling. It's not worth the stress. We can't take them with us when we die anyways!

Will she buy the line that this "Your retirement fund!"

I have a basement full of my collecting hoard, but my girlfriend is fine with it. Visitors to the house often leave dumbfounded and amazed though... ;)

I get this all the time. Eventually, you get to a point where there just isn't any more room. Unless you have the money to afford public storage, it does become a strain to everyone around you. The healthiest thing to do is trim the collection down to the necessities. I've been doing that for the last year and it was HARD. First, I was just bummed that I had no other choice. But, but by trimming the fat I ended up purchasing some keys with the money I got from selling. It's not worth the stress. We can't take them with us when we die anyways!

I'm also in that mode of selling some of the clutter and trading up to some more expensive purchases (that take up less space).

I'll be honest, I side with her more than you on this one. Dude, 30 long boxes is a lot!

Maybe start by paring down a couple at least, and show her that you're making a good faith effort. :foryou:

I'm also in that mode of selling some of the clutter and trading up to some more expensive purchases (that take up less space).

Sell everything and buy 1-5 key books

2c

(thumbs u

I wouldn't be able to sell 'everything' myself, and I doubt you (the OP) could either. At some point I'd still rather have the core of my collection than one single book. But it's a great feeling to get rid of some clutter (my guess is that most of what's in the longboxes is easily replaceable), and to score a cool grail book at the same time.

Yeah I have some big keys I will keep, but definitely have to trim the fat at this point. Might have to buy a table at a big show so I can move a lot quickly.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I started 2 years ago now and am up to 10 long boxes... I know I need to start trimming soon... I have already tried but things just don't move on ebay or the forums sometimes. What do you all do in those situations? Fire?

Once I start going through them all, I figure I should have about 2 boxes I can donate to Sick Kids Hospital, that way they will be put to good use. The rest the Ebay & Cons I guess.

This is the route I will probably take one day.

I started 2 years ago now and am up to 10 long boxes... I know I need to start trimming soon... I have already tried but things just don't move on ebay or the forums sometimes. What do you all do in those situations? Fire?

And now you can appreciate why dealers offer pennies on the dollar.

Selling comics is tough.

Good luck with your trimming!

I pulled a bunch of stuff, filled a short box and have it to the guy who works at my LCS.

Felt good.