• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deciding How To Inventory A Collection

24 posts in this topic

I made a mistake in creating 300-400K files when scanning my CGC collection. Is there a way to reduce the file size to less than 100K without re-scanning the books again?

On Unix, I would use a free tool called ImageMagick, which lets you perform batch modifications of images. I know that there are binaries for Windows but being that this is a command line tool, it might not be your cup of tea.

Also, since it is Excel format, I can load it into my Palm Pilot and read it using Documents To Go. This way I can always have my list with me no matter where I may go. Could be especially handy if going to conventions or comic book stores.

You know what's funny? While I couldn't tell you every comic I own from memory, I have never accidently bought a duplicate comic. I know as soon as I see a book if I have it in my collection already.

Weird, huh?

You know what's funny? While I couldn't tell you every comic I own from memory, I have never accidently bought a duplicate comic. I know as soon as I see a book if I have it in my collection already.

Pretty impressive actually. I've bought many multiples unitentionally. blush.gif

I don't have a database and probably have 5000+ items in my collection. If you ask me, I can tell you yes or no whether something is in my collection and what grade range it is in with 99.9%

accuracy. This is a factor of age, I would have said 100% a few years back, but caught myself buying a couple of duplicates - both times I thought I might already have the book, but picked it up anyway. I also remember (within roughly 10%) what I paid for everything - once again I used to be more accurate, but my memory is not what it used to be. I've made a couple stabs at cataloging my books - 20 years ago I listed 300+ undergrounds on file cards, and back in the mid 90s, I created a database for GA and pre-code books, maybe 120 at the time, but I've more than doubled that without updating it. I've come to realize I'll never get around to fully cataloging my collection unless I plan to sell it.