• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there more Whitman Gold Key Variants for Star Trek?

26 posts in this topic

lol

I was watching that auction and was thinking of bidding on it but had family stuff going on and lost track of it.

I was only going to bid $25 anyway, the condition looked iffy. Figured it would be a gamble.

I would be curious as to what they turn out to be.

Picked up a massive amount of lowgrade 60's 70's stuff a couple weeks ago, ran across a Star Trek 29 and 40 with Whitman covers so far.

Not Whitman, but I was really surprised to see I got these Star Trek books at this price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Key-COMIC-BOOK-STAR-TREK-37-May-1976-near-mint-5-copies-/111363613091?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Tg6Mys9%252BS2tzgsOo43OYlOUJ%252FB0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Even if they are in eBay NM condition, I feel like I got these for very cheap. Now I just hope they are packed for safe delivery ...

I concur with an earlier seller who said the last couple of issues of Star Trek with the line art are probably the hardest to find including the Whitman variants. I will have to look at my collection which is a mixture of Gold Keys and Whitmans. I'm not 100% sure the early issues (first 20 or so?) have Whitman variants. I know I have Whitman variants for issues in the twenties on up, just not the first 20 issues or so.

They look pretty good from where I sit and regardless of the condition at $25.00 they are a steal. Wondering if you knew (of even if you care) this particular issue is a reprint of issue #5? There's a few of them scattered throughout the run and it's a bit disappointing Overstreet doesn't mention this in the guide.

Picked up a massive amount of lowgrade 60's 70's stuff a couple weeks ago, ran across a Star Trek 29 and 40 with Whitman covers so far.

Not Whitman, but I was really surprised to see I got these Star Trek books at this price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Key-COMIC-BOOK-STAR-TREK-37-May-1976-near-mint-5-copies-/111363613091?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Tg6Mys9%252BS2tzgsOo43OYlOUJ%252FB0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Even if they are in eBay NM condition, I feel like I got these for very cheap. Now I just hope they are packed for safe delivery ...

I concur with an earlier seller who said the last couple of issues of Star Trek with the line art are probably the hardest to find including the Whitman variants. I will have to look at my collection which is a mixture of Gold Keys and Whitmans. I'm not 100% sure the early issues (first 20 or so?) have Whitman variants. I know I have Whitman variants for issues in the twenties on up, just not the first 20 issues or so.

They look pretty good from where I sit and regardless of the condition at $25.00 they are a steal. Wondering if you knew (of even if you care) this particular issue is a reprint of issue #5? There's a few of them scattered throughout the run and it's a bit disappointing Overstreet doesn't mention this in the guide.

I was aware that it is a reprint, but it doesn't bug me. I haven't noticed any difference in prices for the various Gold Key/Whitman reprint issues compared to the surrounding issues. This might be because Overstreet doesn't mention it. All the reprint issues are:

Star Trek 29 - reprints Star Trek 1

Star Trek 35 - reprints Star Trek 4

Star Trek 37 - reprints Star Trek 5

Star Trek 45 - reprints Star Trek 7

(NOTE: These are the 4 issues that were not printed in the Checker collections for obvious reasons.)

One of my favorite Gold Key issues is Magnus Robot Fighter 22 which reprints Magnus Robot Fighter 1. I love the cover and it is so much more affordable than Magnus Robot Fighter 1. :) I also think it is cool how Dagar 18 and Dagar 19 are reprints of Dagar 1 with Dagar 19 showing the same cover as line art instead of painted.

I wish IDW would do some painted covers for their Star Trek comics.

lol

I was watching that auction and was thinking of bidding on it but had family stuff going on and lost track of it.

I was only going to bid $25 anyway, the condition looked iffy. Figured it would be a gamble.

I would be curious as to what they turn out to be.

I usually don't gamble on comics on eBay, but I looked at is at paying $5 each for issues in FN condition. If they are in better condition, all the better. They might be worse, but it doesn't look like it from the scan.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking - for $5 each and assuming the copy in the back cover picture represents the worst of the condition issues, it would have been a good deal. Figured I might be able to take the best of the 5 and press it, might get it close to NM.

I've passed on several potentially good deals on eBay lately, just haven't been in a roll-the-dice mood for some reason. Kind of regretting I didn't make more of an effort for this one. Nice copies of GK/Whitman Treks so rarely come up.

I was aware that it is a reprint, but it doesn't bug me. I haven't noticed any difference in prices for the various Gold Key/Whitman reprint issues compared to the surrounding issues. This might be because Overstreet doesn't mention it. All the reprint issues are:

Star Trek 29 - reprints Star Trek 1

Star Trek 35 - reprints Star Trek 4

Star Trek 37 - reprints Star Trek 5

Star Trek 45 - reprints Star Trek 7

Actually, Overstreet does mention that these issues are reprints - it just doesn't break these issues out from the others or list them as reprints in the main body of the listing.

However, at the end of the Gold Key/Whitman Star Trek listing, there is an italicized footnote that mentions that these 4 issues are reprints and what issues are reprinted. I don't know if that's always been the case, but I think it's been that way for at least the last 10 years or so.

My guess as to why there's not difference in the price realized for these reprints: it's because, with the exception of #45, the others have new original painted covers. And even though #45 has the same photo cover, it's an affordable alternative to #7. You can have a Star Trek photo cover without busting the budget.