• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Walking Dead and Chew keep their value?

63 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Finally I found a place where I can discuss comic book value with other collectors.

So anyhow, I was on Ebay recently and I can see Chew #1 cgc 9.8 going for a crazy price like 999 dollars. I can also see walking dead 9.8 cgc going for over 2, 800 dollars. I know that walking dead has blown up because of the show, but what happens when the show wraps up and the series is no longer on people's minds. Does the value drop immensely? What about Chew which doesn't even have a show yet?

I would have thought Game of thrones signed #1 cgc would be higher in value, because when the show ends the novels are still considered classics and will always be on people's mind.

My final question is, since cgc 9.8 are ridiculously expensive, is it worth buying a 9.6 instead or is that a waste?

Walking Dead is a pop cultural phenom that we haven't seen since Star Wars. It is safe to say a 9.8 WD 1 is always going to be going for upwards of $1500. I do think over $2k is too much, though. A recent auction on ebay ended at just under that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-1-Oct-2003-Image-CGC-9-8-NO-RESERVE-/111349493228?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19ecf26dec

Chew has sold in the $400-$500 range on ebay for a few years now. Honestly, I see that one retaining its value as well.

I believe Walking Dead has maybe 2-3 more months left before the crash :tonofbricks:

:insane:

Without Bernie it might as well crash and burn...........

I agree, even WD #1 9.8 won't be able to maintain half it's value - but #127...that issue may just continue to climb and climb. First appearance of Bernie and all, I can see six figures for a 9.8 in a decade.

Walking Dead is a pop cultural phenom that we haven't seen since Star Wars.

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

All I know is that most southerners don't care for the above or Sci Fi in general. They do however love The Walking Dead

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

All I know is that most southerners don't care for the above or Sci Fi in general. They do however love The Walking Dead

I disagree and I've lived in 2 southern states. What makes you think this ?

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

I think Walking Dead is bigger than all of those, but, of course, it is only my subjective opinion.

Nope. Not yet, at least.

Give it another 40 years...nah, Star Trek will still have it imo. All 3 of those shows mentioned have 1 thing in common that the Walking Dad doesn't. Kids. Kids always grow up trying to recapture their youth and little kids aren't watching the Walking Dead. Imo, it won't even be close as young to middle aged adults won't carry a market into the future.

Give it another 40 years...nah, Star Trek will still have it imo. All 3 of those shows mentioned have 1 thing in common that the Walking Dad doesn't. Kids. Kids always grow up trying to recapture their youth and little kids aren't watching the Walking Dead. Imo, it won't even be close as young to middle aged adults won't carry a market into the future.

I have an 11 year old niece & nephew and an 8 year old nephew and they all love the show. The 11 year olds are always asking me if they can read the comic when they stay over.

I have an 11 year old niece & nephew and an 8 year old nephew and they all love the show. The 11 year olds are always asking me if they can read the comic when they stay over.

I'm not saying no kid watches it. My point was that 2/3 of the viewers are 18-49 years old. I can't see letting my 11 year old, which I'm currently on my 4th, read TWD. The first thing that popped in my mind was the Governor/Michonne and there are many stories nearly as bad. I can tell you that all four of my kids have seen all of the Harry Potter movies more than once. I can show you storage bin after bin of Star Wars, TMNT, Star Trek, Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh stuff.

I could be wrong and time will tell. I simply believe it is too adult themed to carry forward like the others. In fact, I personally know a lot of people in their 50s and 650s who watch the show religiously but no kids here. 2c

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

I think Walking Dead is bigger than all of those, but, of course, it is only my subjective opinion.

bigger than Harry Potter? 450MM books sold, $8BB WW movie box office. :screwy:

I'm not saying no kid watches it. My point was that 2/3 of the viewers are 18-49 years old. I can't see letting my 11 year old, which I'm currently on my 4th, read TWD. The first thing that popped in my mind was the Governor/Michonne and there are many stories nearly as bad. I can tell you that all four of my kids have seen all of the Harry Potter movies more than once. I can show you storage bin after bin of Star Wars, TMNT, Star Trek, Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh stuff.

Point taken. I agree no kid should be READING the books, for certain.

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

No way, plus unlike Star Trek and TMNT, I don't see a way that it could be reinvented easily to give it popularity over decades.

:hi: Hey OP and WTTB. The following link I am going to post will take you to the depths of what your OG title states. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you even might get a little angry. But in the end you'll find all sorts of magical little treats awaiting you.

The things that have been said in this thread are like little tiny rainbows dancing on your eyes as you read. It's quite wonderful. I am even going to bump the thread for you so you can partake in such glorious wonder.

Enjoy (thumbs u

Click Here for the Magic

Hey guys,

So no one answered this question. Should I buy a 9.6 cgc since a 9.8 is very very expensive or it is not worth it and only the 9.8 will really continue to grow in great value?

Thanks

Star Trek?

Harry Potter?

Recently we got

Twilight

Hunger Games

Frozen.

Walking Dead is a good seller, but it`s not the only new pop cultural phenom that has come along these last few years.