• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 passes Man of Steel at Box Office

98 posts in this topic

Yup. And with all the families that had such a happy time taking their children to see this movie, we can expect many more Spider-Mans films to continue providing these great family times for years to come. All those peripheral sales in Spidey merchandise, tv and cable rights, dvd sales, prormo money that they don't feel the need to advertise to the public to prop up their revenue, sheesh, it all adds up to many more films providing a good time for families around the world. Thank you Sony. (thumbs u

Like I pointed earlier, DC/Warner tried the "family" approach with Batman & Robin and made a billion in merchandise and stuff too. Planned another Schumacher installment before it opened ("Batman Triumphant") even. Look what happened there. The character was shelved for eight years.

Sony painted themselves into a corner with the reboot. They have to keep making Spider-Man movies to keep the franchise, but the return on these movies has greatly diminished. I think we will get a Spider-Man 3, but I'm doubtful we are going to see all those spinoffs that we've been hearing about. Just my 2c

The guy Drew Goddard who was going to do Netflix Daredevil quit yesterday to go do The Sinister Six.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Yup. And with all the families that had such a happy time taking their children to see this movie, we can expect many more Spider-Mans films to continue providing these great family times for years to come. All those peripheral sales in Spidey merchandise, tv and cable rights, dvd sales, prormo money that they don't feel the need to advertise to the public to prop up their revenue, sheesh, it all adds up to many more films providing a good time for families around the world. Thank you Sony. (thumbs u

Like I pointed earlier, DC/Warner tried the "family" approach with Batman & Robin and made a billion in merchandise and stuff too. Planned another Schumacher installment before it opened ("Batman Triumphant") even. Look what happened there. The character was shelved for eight years.

Sony painted themselves into a corner with the reboot. They have to keep making Spider-Man movies to keep the franchise, but the return on these movies has greatly diminished. I think we will get a Spider-Man 3, but I'm doubtful we are going to see all those spinoffs that we've been hearing about. Just my 2c

The guy Drew Goddard who was going to do Netflix Daredevil quit yesterday to go do The Sinister Six.

Uh, no.

He was already on board for Sinister Six.

He quit DD because Sony is in panic mode and needs his full attention on it.

He will continue on as an advisor for the DD show.

Uh, no.

The point is this confirms Sinister Six the movie will happen.

Uh, no.

The point is this confirms Sinister Six the movie will happen.

No it doesn't.

It confirms that they still want to eek as much box office out of ASM, which is still in theaters, so they'll continue to show support for the previous plan, until it's run it's course.

A month from now they could change everything.

They may just put it all in Goddards hands and tell him to fix it.

They'll make another ASM movie. And probably rather quickly. What it is, remains to be seen.

So far the direction they've gone is down, while the other superhero franchises have gone up.

They'll want to figure out why and adjust accordingly.

A month from now they could change everything.

They may just put it all in Goddards hands and tell him to fix it.

They'll make another ASM movie. And probably rather quickly. What it is, remains to be seen.

So far the direction they've gone is down, while the other superhero franchises have gone up.

They'll want to figure out why and adjust accordingly.

From that Sony CEO interview, it sounds like Sony is in a financial struggle again, and needing to make some major cuts to shave off any expenses that it can. I think that is why he had to make it clear even though it has challenges, Sony is not exiting the movie business.

There has to be some internal struggles going on when a CEO has to make a statement like that.

Did you not read the other posts? Sony gave up the merchandising rights to Spider-Man for all the movie rights. The way I read it is, Sony gets all the profits from the movies without having to share with Disney and Disney gets all the profits from the merchandise without having to share with Sony. Hence the "simplified" agreement between Sony and Disney.

I missed that amid the squabbling. Thanks.

Then Sony... made a huge financial blunder.

It's right on the previous page amongst the lovefest folks were having over Disney being so wise in negotiating this deal (and it definitely was).

And didn't Sony sell the merchandising rights to this franchise?

Why make a $300M budgeted kids movie when you have no merchandise money from it?

That's what surprised me when someone pointed this out with the launch of ASM 2, as I had never heard this before.

Disney Acquires Sony's Merchandising Participation For The Amazing Spider-Man

Sony got itself in a financial bind, and needed the cash fast. Enter - DISNEY!

Disney got the better end of this deal. From what I read, Sony gets a larger return of the Spider-Man movie money and Disney gets the merchandise money. Since the movies are costing more and the returns are dropping, Disney saw more potential with the merchandise money than the movie money.

That's what I was thinking. Kids will buy Spider-Man toys from Disney whether a movie succeeds or not. Disney made out like a bandit due to Sony's poor financials. Oddly enough, isn't that why Marvel has all these movie rights issues in the first place is how they had to sell off such rights to deal with bankruptcy?

Reading that summary from Iger is interesting. He must have wanted to scream out 'INSTANT MONEY' with this news.

Then in July, Sony Pictures will release The Amazing Spiderman. We're excited about the film and expect it will drive significant benefits for Spiderman consumer products.

To that end, we recently completed a transaction with Sony Pictures to simplify our relationship. And then in the deal, we purchased Sony Pictures' participation in Spiderman merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from us our participation in Spiderman films. This transaction will allow us to control and fully benefit from all Spiderman merchandising activity, while Sony will continue to produce and distribute Spiderman films. We won't be specific about the economics of this 2-way transaction, but we expect it will drive attractive returns for Disney.

All those birthday party kits, Halloween costumes, bed sheets, toys, branded radios/clocks/lamps, etc. - all Disney. And no movie budget risk for them.

This Disney you speak of sounds like they got it goin' on! :)

Disney must have realized there was no way Sony was going to let go of this famous franchise. So it went for the safe bet, knowing either way it makes money.

The studio isn't sending out congratulations to anyone involved in this.

Far from it. Heads are going to roll over this turd.

It's going to be a struggle to break $200 million domestically. Seriously, it may not even break it. That's an embarrassment for a top tier character.

And domestically, which is where the studios really make their money, it'll never catch up to Man of Steel which has a $100 million lead over it.

Domestically it has no chance of catching Captain America Winter Soldier and may not even catch the second Thor movie. It's not worthy of even comparing it to the Iron Man franchise.

Wow. How badly has this iconic character has fallen?

At a time when Marvel movies seem to be hitting their peak, both critically and financially, ASM 2, even with the help of 3D and IMAX dollars, may not even do HALF of what the first Raimi Spider-man did, in 2002 dollars!

It's going to be interesting to see how close X-Men DOFO comes to catching ASM2 in just it's second week! A movie that even a non-Marvel Studio's production has managed to make right.

Whatever plans they had for this Spider-man franchise - it will change. Be it a new director, a new cast, whatever... Something is going to change. Relying on the foreign market, who love the character regardless of how bad the movie is, just isn't profitable enough to continue the way they've been going. It's foreign grosses are over 72% of it's take! That's NOT what a studio wants to see!

What's next? We'll make up for it in DVD sales! lol

This.

Nice spin... :eyeroll:

Domestically, Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) is on track to take in $200 million, which is an all time low for the franchise and around Superman Returns (2006) number and off over $60 million from Amazing Spider-Man 1 (2012). The studios don't see as much of the International grosses, so I doubt anyone at Sony is patting themselves on the back for this movie.

Here are the Spider-Man films domestic box office takes:

Spider-Man 1 (2002) $403 million

Spider-Man 2 (2004) $373 million

Spider-Man 3 (2007) $336 million

Amazing Spider-Man 1 (2012) $262 million

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) $187 million (project to finish at $200 million)

I'm sure Sony is very pleased their latest outing will end up taking in half of the first movie's take 12 years later. :facepalm: And when you adjust for inflation, I'll bet more than one Sony exec is :frustrated:

I will say this though, congratulations to Sony for releasing this movie Internationally first. They must have realized this was a turkey from the get go, so they did the best they could to maximize it's potential.

I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was this bad... :eek:

That's what I was thinking. Kids will buy Spider-Man toys from Disney whether a movie succeeds or not. Disney made out like a bandit due to Sony's poor financials. Oddly enough, isn't that why Marvel has all these movie rights issues in the first place is how they had to sell off such rights to deal with bankruptcy?

Reading that summary from Iger is interesting. He must have wanted to scream out 'INSTANT MONEY' with this news.

Then in July, Sony Pictures will release The Amazing Spiderman. We're excited about the film and expect it will drive significant benefits for Spiderman consumer products.

To that end, we recently completed a transaction with Sony Pictures to simplify our relationship. And then in the deal, we purchased Sony Pictures' participation in Spiderman merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from us our participation in Spiderman films. This transaction will allow us to control and fully benefit from all Spiderman merchandising activity, while Sony will continue to produce and distribute Spiderman films. We won't be specific about the economics of this 2-way transaction, but we expect it will drive attractive returns for Disney.

All those birthday party kits, Halloween costumes, bed sheets, toys, branded radios/clocks/lamps, etc. - all Disney. And no movie budget risk for them.

That is huge. Merchandising revenue is incredibly vital, just ask George Lucas.

Edited by Kal-El

I think a Sinister Six movie is a cool idea, but how could they pull that off without Spidey? Is there just going to be a movie about the formation of the Sinister Six and then them going on a crime spree with nobody to stop them? :shrug:

I think a Sinister Six movie is a cool idea, but how could they pull that off without Spidey? Is there just going to be a movie about the formation of the Sinister Six and then them going on a crime spree with nobody to stop them? :shrug:

This definitely sounds like something Sony would think is a brilliant idea. doh! . Here's to hoping that working with Joss Whedon all these years has rubbed off on Drew Goddard and he can put something decent together :wishluck: . I love the idea of seeing The Sinster Six together on the big screen but after watching ASM2 I've lost all confidence in Sony.

Hot Toys Debuts Deluxe Electro Figure from The Amazing Spider-Man 2

"The movie-accurate Electro collectible is specially crafted based on the image of Jamie Foxx as Electro in the movie which features a detailed head sculpt, LED light up functions that capture the unique appearance of the villain, highly detailed costume, and a dynamic figure stand ideal for aerial poses. Fans of Spider-Man villains don’t miss the chance to pre-order this “electrifying” Collectible Figure!"

10437418_10152101067237344_9095677480014253192_n.jpg

On 5/26/2014 at 11:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

MLSNwFw.png

3 x budget vs. 1.6 x budget. Plus MOS had that $160-$170 MM in advertising revenue it picked up from Carl's Jr., Sears, IHOP and other companies.

But for me, I always want to see these big movies succeed rather than get into a company vs. company contest. The better they all do, the more attention on the overall hobby.

Go figure!

too soon to resurrect this objective gem?

Edited by paperheart

21 minutes ago, paperheart said:

too soon to resurrect this objective gem?

You mean when someone was forcing the topic ALL EXPENSES - so I went with it and inserted ALL EXPENSES for their conversation.

Yet if you go back and check any of my other charts about ASM2, it reflects first an adjustment what the rumored budget was ($300M-$325M so I took the lower since nothing was confirmed). Then adjusted to $255M when I saw that later article.

DC and Marvel movie results: 1978 to present

On 8/7/2015 at 5:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

Finally!

Should Sony Panic About The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box Office Sales?

That means ASM2 did make money. It was just so small a profit it was an embarrassment to Sony compared to the previous Spider-Man movies.

031LmZ8.png

But nice way to twist the facts.

Edited by Bosco685

11 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

all I know is ASM2 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Worthy of the Joel Schumacher award.

Worse than Spider-Man 3?  I never bothered with either ASM, a raging toolbox with a faux bed head as Peter Parker was a non-starter in my book.

14 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Worse than Spider-Man 3?  I never bothered with either ASM, a raging toolbox with a faux bed head as Peter Parker was a non-starter in my book.

The Amazing Spider-man 2 ( 2014 ) with Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker was worse than Spider-Man 3 ( 2007) although I can't stress how much I hated that "emo" Peter Parker dance scene.

11 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

The Amazing Spider-man 2 ( 2014 ) with Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker was worse than Spider-Man 3 ( 2007) although I can't stress how much I hated that "emo" Peter Parker dance scene.

Now that’s an accomplishment.  Being able to out-bad emo Peter and Topher Brock takes a special kind of effort.

Although from what I remember of ASM2’s previews, putting some fat guy in a sweatsuit and calling him The Rhino was a good way to kick off that effort.