• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You gotta problem wit dis?

41 posts in this topic

I don't. But, I'm sure it's been discussed due to the 10.0 wolverine 1 with OW/W. If you can find that discussion, give yourself a star. Otherwise, I'd love to hear the uproar opinions of others. 7FD987C6-D697-47BE-9A4B-02E970BECF6F.png

That book was graded 3 months before the Wolverine #1 CGC 10.0 with OW/W pages - guess CGC allowed for that PQ in the Gem Mint grades then :shrug:

So you think they don't anymore?

No problems...but reminds me how much I hated that cover. Ugly.
I don't like it either. Wolverine looks like he's holding a big fork in his left hand, amongst other problems with the books decor.

That book was graded 3 months before the Wolverine #1 CGC 10.0 with OW/W pages - guess CGC allowed for that PQ in the Gem Mint grades then :shrug:

So you think they don't anymore?

I doubt it.

It looks like he's growing new Wolverines on his knee caps. He's getting ready to spear a steak with that left fork, and spiderman looks like a superimposed toy behind him. Yeah, lousy cover. But going back to the original topic, the OW/W is so subjective. They're fairly close. I know of many CPR cases, where the re-subbed book changed from OW/W to W. And vice versa. That being said, that book would never leave its case if I owned it. It would be absolutely senseless to try to get white pages on a re-sub. Its unlikely it would get another ten. Those would be some BIG balls.

Horrible cover, and I think it's crazy that a book can get a 10 with OW/WH pages. A 10 should mean perfect in every way.

AMEN to that! A perfect example of a print run should mean just that.

I wonder if this was submitted at a show for grading, rather than the strictest of standards at home base.

Horrible cover, and I think it's crazy that a book can get a 10 with OW/WH pages. A 10 should mean perfect in every way.

I wonder if this was submitted at a show for grading, rather than the strictest of standards at home base.

Didn't Borock himself once say that a 10.0 is not necessarily a flawless book? I've always found that to be very odd reasoning.

Didn't Borock himself once say that a 10.0 is not necessarily a flawless book? I've always found that to be very odd reasoning.

When the Wolverine 1 CGC 10.0 OW/W came up as a concern, it was mentioned in an interview by Steve how the CGC '10.0 grade' was not the most perfect of perfect books published in the run, but rather the best example CGC has seen at a given point in time. When that article came up in Comics General, forumites were pointing out why grading standards do not get published for public reference. It becomes flexible over time what the top of the heap looks like.

I'm not sure who accurate that is. But it did come up from the head of CGC at the time.

There's no such thing as a perfect book. Hand me my loupe, I'll find you a flaw.

It depends on the definition of "perfect" which is why there are grading standards all the way to the top tier of a ten-point scale. So "perfect" in that case is the best quality example of a given book.

Would you need a loupe to determine a book with OW/W pages is not the most perfect example of a given book when there are thousands of the same book with white page quality? Probably not.

I've never understood this cover and as odd as it may seem, I assume it was done on purpose. My reasoning is this:

Bob Layton had been in the business for several years by 1982 and certainly understood foreshortening. Joe Rubinstein is considered to be a fairly heavy handed inker ( known to "fix" or change things that a penciler had drawn ) and he most likely left it as is...I can't imagine he changed the proportions to look that way.

I can't think of any other reasonable explanation.