• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You gotta problem wit dis?

41 posts in this topic

There's no such thing as a perfect book. Hand me my loupe, I'll find you a flaw.

It depends on the definition of "perfect" which is why there are grading standards all the way to the top tier of a ten-point scale. So "perfect" in that case is the best quality example of a given book.

Would you need a loupe to determine a book with OW/W pages is not the most perfect example of a given book when there are thousands of the same book with white page quality? Probably not.

True. It's just that a large number of people think "perfect 10.0" means absolutely flawless. Not you, of course. You know the deal. I do get what Borock was saying. But, until they list their standards, it'll still be mostly speculation on why a book gets a 10.

Didn't Borock himself once say that a 10.0 is not necessarily a flawless book? I've always found that to be very odd reasoning.

I remember Steve and I having a conversation about that, and my contention was that no graded book could ever be a 10, simply because it had to be opened and every page fully examined and counted.

While not fully agreeing with me, Steve did offer your above "not flawless" comment, as just the act of grading a comic inherently damages it from its pristine, off-the-presses condition.

Didn't Borock himself once say that a 10.0 is not necessarily a flawless book? I've always found that to be very odd reasoning.

I remember Steve and I having a conversation about that, and my contention was that no graded book could ever be a 10, simply because it had to be opened and every page fully examined and counted.

While not fully agreeing with me, Steve did offer your above "not flawless" comment, as just the act of grading a comic inherently damages it from its pristine, off-the-presses condition.

So that would be an 11.

Yet another example of foolishness with CGC grading. Buy the book not the label.

With page quality and CGC books, though, what does it really matter? Unless you're planning on cracking it open. But why would you for this?

Horrible cover, and I think it's crazy that a book can get a 10 with OW/WH pages. A 10 should mean perfect in every way.

AMEN to that! A perfect example of a print run should mean just that.

I wonder if this was submitted at a show for grading, rather than the strictest of standards at home base.

graph_zps673ad048.jpg

(shrug)

graph_zps673ad048.jpg

(shrug)

I'm sure the range on a 10.0 grade is so tight, that column would be very thin compared to the other grades. That's why it is termed the 'Gem Mint' grade.

9.949? Mint++? Now we're talking!

Horrible cover, and I think it's crazy that a book can get a 10 with OW/WH pages. A 10 should mean perfect in every way.

I wonder if this was submitted at a show for grading, rather than the strictest of standards at home base.

(shrug)

Good to see you posting more around here Sniper,how's that beautiful wife of yours.Tell her I said hi. :hi: Dentists always get the hotties. lol

(shrug)

Good to see you posting more around here Sniper,how's that beautiful wife of yours.Tell her I said hi. :hi: Dentists always get the hotties. lol

Hey oakman! I'm not a Dentist but I still get the Hotties!! :grin: Lana says hi back. The closest I've come to being a Dentist is spending 60k on cosmetic dental work!! My smile may look like I'm a Dentist but... :cry: Man, that was a big chunk of comic book money!

Let's see...No teeth.. or three or four Pre-Robin Tec's hm

(shrug)

Hey oakman! I'm not a Dentist but I still get the Hotties!! :grin: Lana says hi back. The closest I've come to being a Dentist is spending 60k on cosmetic dental work!! My smile may look like I'm a Dentist but... :cry: Man, that was a big chunk of comic book money!

60K on dental work? Let's see the diamonds in the grill.

(shrug)

60K on dental work? Let's see the diamonds in the grill.

201011011631251679_zpse25439b4.jpg

(shrug)

Well I guess comicgrinder(remember him) was wrong. lol

Flawless is obviously gong to be relative to how much effort you put into finding flaws.

If you want to go microscopic, you'll find flaws that the naked eye can't see.

Most comics are graded at arm's length with the natural eye from a reader's perspective so that is the standard for flawless books.

I'm not sure how I feel about OWW pages on a 10.0 but I've always felt that page quality should be something completely separate from the grade so with that approach, OWW pages should be fine even on a 10.0

Most comics are graded at arm's length with the natural eye from a reader's perspective so that is the standard for flawless books.

Sure, but the point I'm making is that there could possibly be a "flawless" book that came right off the presses perfectly cut, colored and with no damage, then immediately stored in a pedigree collection, never to see the light of day for decades, but it would change to "not flawless" once it was graded, every page opened and examined, counted and then closed again.

It's not concept, it's a natural byproduct of the grading process.

Flawless is obviously gong to be relative to how much effort you put into finding flaws.

I'm not sure how I feel about OWW pages on a 10.0 but I've always felt that page quality should be something completely separate from the grade so with that approach, OWW pages should be fine even on a 10.0

Agreed. Many books had no better than OW to W pages at the time of printing. Newsprint was almost never white.