• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Marvel cross-overs.

49 posts in this topic

At the time this issue was published, the original Human Torch series had only been out of publication for eight years, so Marvel may have considered him to be one of their flagship characters and deserving of his own title. Once Spider-man was introduced, perhaps they felt they only needed one troubled teenager character in his own mag and the Torch slowly got phased out?

At the time this issue was published, the original Human Torch series had only been out of publication for eight years, so Marvel may have considered him to be one of their flagship characters and deserving of his own title. Once Spider-man was introduced, perhaps they felt they only needed one troubled teenager character in his own mag and the Torch slowly got phased out?

I believe it had more to do with the distribution agreement to publish only eight titles per month. To try new characters, one would be phased out to make room for a new attempt. DC owned the distribution at this time and Marvel was limited to eight titles per month.

I believe it had more to do with the distribution agreement to publish only eight titles per month. To try new characters, one would be phased out to make room for a new attempt. DC owned the distribution at this time and Marvel was limited to eight titles per month.

That could be why he was phased out later in the series, but when they decided who to start off with, I believe they chose The Torch due to the fact that he was a known character. If not, they could have gone with Mr. Fantastic, or better yet, The Thing as they seemed more like leading characters than the wise-cracking sidekick the Torch was?

That could be why he was phased out later in the series, but when they decided who to start off with, I believe they chose The Torch due to the fact that he was a known character. If not, they could have gone with Mr. Fantastic, or better yet, The Thing as they seemed more like leading characters than the wise-cracking sidekick the Torch was?

I'll go with that. Even though the FF Torch was not the Original Torch, the Torch character was well established from the MM and HT titles. As time went on the Thing was added to the FF Torch run. Popularity of the Thing was realized as was the constant bickering between Thing & Torch, which helped the story line. thumbsup2.gif

Just an observation: Isn't this just about the single most mis-cut issue Marvel published around this time? The right edge almost always tappers in on the bottom right. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Um, here's my ultra-fugly issue with Primo miscut. Strange Tales #10 ?? 27_laughing.gif

strangetales101.jpg

Just an observation: Isn't this just about the single most mis-cut issue Marvel published around this time? The right edge almost always tappers in on the bottom right. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Um, here's my ultra-fugly issue with Primo miscut. Strange Tales #10 ?? 27_laughing.gif

strangetales101.jpg

Looks like the price sticker was over Torch's arms for all those years that the book sat on the wall, in the sunlight... 27_laughing.gif

Villain crossovers were pretty common crossovers at first. Examples:

Spidey 5: Dr Doom (1st app in FF)

Daredevil 2: Electro (1st app in Spidey)

JIM 109: Magneto (1st app in X-Men)

Avengers 3, 4: Submariner (1st app in FF)

Avengers 6: Executioner, enchantress (1st apps JIM)

Spidey 16: Ringmaster (1st app in Hulk)

X-Men 6: Submariner (1st app in FF)

It'd be interesting to map out the first 10 or 20 issues of each book and count villain crossovers vs hero crossovers and see how they shake out.