• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The FEAR of cracking the case!

22 posts in this topic

Have any of you been afraid of opening the CGC case?...

Just to find out that the book was mistakenly overgraded.

I mean think about it, now the book is out and you might not ever get that grade again!

Or even worse, opening the case and book slides out right and slams a corner on the floor!

Dooh! There goes my 9.8! grin.gif

The solution is simple (especially for books you would crack)... Don't buy the lable. Buy the book.

Please someone tell me to buy the book not the label one more time. I think that we all get it. Jesus Christ. makepoint.gif

The solution is simple (especially for books you would crack)... Don't buy the lable. Buy the book.

Please someone tell me to buy the book not the label one more time. I think that we all get it. Jesus Christ. makepoint.gif

27_laughing.gif Thank you! 27_laughing.gif

One things that might twart that idea is that if a person buys it already CGC'ed

it is hard to identify the total amount of deficiencies of the book.

I mean heck I've seen some cases where it is hard as hell to notice a particular issue until it is out of the mylar - never-the-less being sealed in a hard plastic case.

Oh well, I do review the books I buy to death before a purchase, because I've had so many times where there was a blatent error that I missed like a ripped page or writting on the inside of the book.

Thanks for the input,... even if it is a little redundant. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif

One things that might twart that idea is that if a person buys it already CGC'ed

it is hard to identify the total amount of deficiencies of the book.

I mean heck I've seen some cases where it is hard as hell to notice a particular issue until it is out of the mylar - never-the-less being sealed in a hard plastic case.

This is totally true. There are times when I've sent in a book, obviously known where there was some wear, etc. and when it returned in the case I was unable to spot the problems again, even though I knew where to look.

I think some pretty fundamental things come into play when buying slabbed books 1) be sure to look at the book -- if it looks overgraded then it probably is, 2) you should avoid buying slabbed books to flip unless it's a really, really good deal (in which case you wouldn't crack it any way), 3) if you buy a slabbed book for your own collection and you want to crack it opened you're probably not going to reslab it any way.

Just my opinion.

BTW Dawg, that was the first time I ever said that. Sounds like you have a guilty conscience. stooges.gif

I think some pretty fundamental things come into play when buying slabbed books 1) be sure to look at the book -- if it looks overgraded then it probably is, 2) you should avoid buying slabbed books to flip unless it's a really, really good deal (in which case you wouldn't crack it any way), 3) if you buy a slabbed book for your own collection and you want to crack it opened you're probably not going to reslab it any way.

Just my opinion.

BTW Dawg, that was the first time I ever said that. Sounds like you have a guilty conscience. stooges.gif

Wasnt really a dig at you...just the fact that "buy the book not the label" is quoted in about every single thread on this board..It finally got to me..Who coined this phrase? Anyone know. If no one knows who then I would would like to take credit for it. acclaim.gif

Just my opinion.

Wasnt really a dig at you...just the fact that "buy the book not the label" is quoted in about every single thread on this board..It finally got to me..Who coined this phrase? Anyone know. If no one knows who then I would would like to take credit for it. acclaim.gif

Interesting question.

But it reminds me of an off shoot I've heard off of

ESPN - "don't hate the player,... hate the game!"

grin.gif

Shouldn't we buy the label and not the book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I always thought the same thing. If you are not going to crack the case....buy the label all you want. It is still liquid.

I always thought the same thing. If you are not going to crack the case....buy the label all you want. It is still liquid.

Unless you are selling to someone who buys the book and not the label. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsmirk.gif

I'm taking the 9.4 ASM I won in the charity auction out behind the barn to see how a slab stands up to 17 9mm hydrashok bullets. I'll be sure and post picks. I wonder what that will get on a resub? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm taking the 9.4 ASM I won in the charity auction out behind the barn to see how a slab stands up to 17 9mm hydrashok bullets. I'll be sure and post picks. I wonder what that will get on a resub? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Probably a green label. "NM 9.4 apart from several bullet holes, Off-white to scorched pages".

Probably a green label. "NM 9.4 apart from several bullet holes, Off-white to scorched pages".

sign-funnypost.gif

The first shot will totally kill the case so you won't have to worry about SCS anymore. Then, after a good pressing, you could resub it and prolly get a 9.8.

The first shot will totally kill the case so you won't have to worry about SCS anymore. Then, after a good pressing, you could resub it and prolly get a 9.8.

You couldn't successfully 'restore' a bullet hole ridden comic without adding something to it. Thereby CGC 'might' detect it. 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif