• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somebody just stole my registry book

34 posts in this topic

So I get a notice today that somebody was requesting a transfer for a book in my set. 18 minutes later I get another notice that the transfer has been accepted.

Now when I request a transfer, it seems to take a week or two for it to go through if the previous owner doesn't respond. But today, on the last day you're able to change your set for awards, it takes 18 minutes.

I generally wouldn't be overly annoyed by this, except the book is still in my possession. I even double checked my book to make sure the number matched up. I looked at the new 'owners' page, and the picture he has up for the book is the exact same picture from the website I bought it off of 3 months ago. I emailed the registry email within the hour, but no response so far.

Does CGC just not give a mess anymore? Just curious.

Please send a pm to me with the certification number and I will have the book transferred back to your set.

And hopefully the spoon who did this is permanently banned from registry competition? It seems obvious they intentionally took advantage of CGC's willingness to expedite registry transfers before the deadline to snatch away some points. They used the photo from the auction site from months ago. This cannot have been a case of mistyping the serial number or some other innocent error. This was an attempt to defraud the community, over something as frivolous as registry points.

Any interest in publicly outing the user who cattle-rustled the book?

Please send a pm to me with the certification number and I will have the book transferred back to your set.

And hopefully the spoon who did this is permanently banned from registry competition? It seems obvious they intentionally took advantage of CGC's willingness to expedite registry transfers before the deadline to snatch away some points. They used the photo from the auction site from months ago. This cannot have been a case of mistyping the serial number or some other innocent error. This was an attempt to defraud the community, over something as frivolous as registry points.

+1

tell me about it! I worked very hard all year to get a #1 set just to have someone come in on June 17th and use certification #'s of items they do not own, how do I know? I still own it or know who does. When I list an item to sell on ebay or heritage I usually remove it from my inventory so that if someone wants to put it on the registry after purchase they don't have to wait for the transfer. ( I always hate it when I buy something and have to fight the seller to get it entered into my set. Because they want to maintain their rating and hope you don't use the registry, but keeps that number anyway!)

I suggested 3 years in a row that certification #'s in a set not be made public, at least this way the person making a bogus set wouldn't be able to compare which #'s are already being used.

+1

+2

+1

+2

+3

Seems like they do.

Yeah I would agree that CGC tries to correct problems when they arise. The registry set however is like the wild west. Why give awards to anyone if those comics can't be verified as being in the person's possession? I will always love collecting CGC graded comics, but I lost interest and confidence in the Registry, so to those who use bogus certification #'s to build that great set without actually spending the money on the comics... "enjoy it, because that's the closest you'll get!"

Do you want CGC to go to a participant's house to verify? m1703.gif

It's sort of an honor system. If you see a cert number that you believe is not really owned by a set - notify CGC. (shrug) What would you suggest CGC do differently than they are doing now?

+1

+2

+3

+4

Seems like they do.

Yeah I would agree that CGC tries to correct problems when they arise. The registry set however is like the wild west. Why give awards to anyone if those comics can't be verified as being in the person's possession? I will always love collecting CGC graded comics, but I lost interest and confidence in the Registry, so to those who use bogus certification #'s to build that great set without actually spending the money on the comics... "enjoy it, because that's the closest you'll get!"

That's why I have front and back scans of every single book I have listed on the registry. I can also take a photograph with my comics at anytime. That's at least one way you can verify ownership.

Seems like they do.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5

I'd like to know too.

But I don't think CGC sends you the persons board name, that's trying to obtain your certificate numbers. Just sold some WD books and got a bunch of emails saying that "someone" is trying to add this to their set. Unless I didn't look hard enough, their wasn't a name. :sorry: