• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail Art?

118 posts in this topic

Here's the scenario.

All comic lovers have that one piece of original art that they would love to have.

You have the funds, every page/cover/pinup ever drawn has been made available for sale.

You can only buy one piece of art.

What's your "Grail Art" and why would you choose it over everything else?

takeit.gif

Aside from wanting select Underground original art, I've always wanted the entire original art from cover to cover for ASM 121.

Easily, one of my all-time favourite stories in the ASM chapter, and one of the earliest memories of enjoyment from reading comics. One of things I'd like to do in the next couple of years is start recreating the art from that awesome book, cover to cover. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

For the meantime, I'm content to have done so with the my two other all-time favourite covers -- ASM 100 and AF 15.

For the meantime, I'm content to have done so with the my two other all-time favourite covers -- ASM 100 and AF 15.

Post them up Joseph! I'd love to see your interpretations. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks chrisco hi.gif

I was trying to dig up the photos, but I couldn't locate the last one's I took anywhere Christo_pull_hair.gif

... this one was taken near completion in my backyard a few summers ago, just before making some final tweaks and having it framed. It looks like I'll have to do some retakes:

ASM100_f.jpg

I was trying to dig up the photos, but I couldn't locate the last one's I took anywhere Christo_pull_hair.gif

... this one was taken near completion in my backyard a few summers ago, just before making some final tweaks and having it framed. It looks like I'll have to do some retakes:

ASM100_f.jpg

Sweet! It look almost exactly like the original!!! acclaim.gif

Have you taken many art classes or does drawing come natural to you?

ASM100_f.jpg

Thanks man thumbsup2.gif

I think its in the genes chrisco. My brother taught me to draw snoopy and other cartoon characters at a very early age. I started drawing real well by the time I was in kindergarten (about 5 yrs old). My mom saved most of my early childhood art blush.gif

I haven't done anything in recent years to develop it other than the graphic design work I do on a freelance basis (ie. print media, multimedia, web-dev and design).

I've never had any formal training, other than that offered through public education. Truth be told, I sometimes regret not taking the scholarship offered to me in high school to go to OCA, a highly accredited art school where I live. My parents weren't particularly fond of the idea that their son would someday be a starving artist, and convinced me to go to after a University degree instead. These days I still like to practice my freehand skills during my spare time.

Thanks man thumbsup2.gif

I think its in the genes chrisco. My brother taught me to draw snoopy and other cartoon characters at a very early age. I started drawing real well by the time I was in kindergarten (about 5 yrs old). My mom saved most of my early childhood art blush.gif

I haven't done anything in recent years to develop it other than the graphic design work I do on a freelance basis (ie. print media, multimedia, web-dev and design).

I've never had any formal training, other than that offered through public education. Truth be told, I sometimes regret not taking the scholarship offered to me in high school to go to OCA, a highly accredited art school where I live. My parents weren't particularly fond of the idea that their son would someday be a starving artist, and convinced me to go to after a University degree instead. These days I still like to practice my freehand skills during my spare time.

Cool! thumbsup2.gif

Aside from wanting select Underground original art, I've always wanted the entire original art from cover to cover for ASM 121.

Me too. But not at $250K for the 20 interior pages, without the cover (as per the recent Playboy article on comic art). Heck, not even with the cover. Though, the one complete book I would want even more is Daredevil #181. If I could only get one piece of B&W comic book art (not a complete book), it would be close between the cover of DD #181 (my favorite comic ever) and X-Men #94 (the book that I most coveted as a kid).

Comicwiz, everr thought about combining undergounds and Spiderman - like recreating the cover to ASM 100 in the style of Charles Burns, or AF15 in the style of Crumb?

I've performed some reinterpretations in the past, but never in the manner with which you speak.

What a great idea rjpb! hail.gif

It would definitely be awesome (at least for someone like myself who's a big fan of Crumb) to see something like a reinterpretation of AF15 in Crumbs style. cloud9.gif

What I can speak of from experience, in doing a few of Crumb's recreations, is that between his unmatched style, and level of detail, that sort of an assignment would be quite an undertaking...

Thanks man thumbsup2.gif

I hear ya. I've always enjoyed drawing, but 'fancy' myself more of a cartoonist as I cannot draw realistic people (faces are particularly difficult). I'd say I draw better than the "average person", but I'm nowhere near as good as you are. I am a great 'copyist' though.

I wish I had some sort of training (I didn't even take art in High School) as the "talent" is there, but it needs some molding. The closest to training I eveer had were some self-instruction books on the human form and faces when I was trying to teach myself how to paint (the most amazingly difficult thing to do).

I wish I had more time to draw. I had got back into it a few years ago, but haven't done anything for awhile. frown.gif

Me too. But not at $250K for the 20 interior pages, without the cover (as per the recent Playboy article on comic art). Heck, not even with the cover. Though, the one complete book I would want even more is Daredevil #181. If I could only get one piece of B&W comic book art (not a complete book), it would be close between the cover of DD #181 (my favorite comic ever) and X-Men #94 (the book that I most coveted as a kid).

Those are nice picks thumbsup2.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a mention of a prominent comics dealer who owned the complete ASM 121 on these boards some time ago? If I recall correctly, the post included a link to the persons website which included a gallery of each page (with cover?)...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a mention of a prominent comics dealer who owned the complete ASM 121 on these boards some time ago? If I recall correctly, the post included a link to the persons website which included a gallery of each page (with cover?)...

I think it's Mike Burkey (big-time ASM art collector, "the amazing spider-fan"?).

Hari will be able to tell us for sure.

I hear ya. I've always enjoyed drawing, but 'fancy' myself more of a cartoonist as I cannot draw realistic people (faces are particularly difficult). I'd say I draw better than the "average person", but I'm nowhere near as good as you are. I am a great 'copyist' though.

I wish I had some sort of training (I didn't even take art in High School) as the "talent" is there, but it needs some molding. The closest to training I eveer had were some self-instruction books on the human form and faces when I was trying to teach myself how to paint (the most amazingly difficult thing to do).

I wish I had more time to draw. I had got back into it a few years ago, but haven't done anything for awhile. frown.gif

Ditto. frown.gif

Thanks man thumbsup2.gif

Never too late to pick it up either, at least from a formal training standpoint.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

One of the things I did recently (because of the amount of time I spend in front of the computer) was to pick up a tablet and stylus, so I'm still doing freehand illustrations, but capturing them digitally and working on them on my computer.

It's not the same as drawing on paper, but now I have no excuse not to practice my freehand drawing, or to not want to be pulled away from the computer, and be confined to only doing drawings when I'm sitting at the drafting table.

Never too late to pick it up either, at least from a formal training standpoint.

I'd love to, but it comes down to time. Additionally, if I had the time to take art classes, I'd probably end up taking some more literature courses at one of the local colleges.

Maybe one day. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What I can speak of from experience, in doing a few of Crumb's recreations, is that between his unmatched style, and level of detail, that sort of an assignment would be quite an undertaking...

Undoubtably - in lesser hands it could end up looking like George Hansen's recreation of AF15 27_laughing.gif

I'd love to, but it comes down to time. Additionally, if I had the time to take art classes, I'd probably end up taking some more literature courses at one of the local colleges.

Maybe one day. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I used to draw all the time when I was younger...I loved art. cloud9.gif

Unfortunately...once I started being told what to draw in high school, I lost interest. frown.gif

Someday I hope to start up again, but I'd like to get back into writing even more.

I stopped writing the day I started writing with the reader in mind , rather than just writing for myself.