• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, I saw Daredevil

57 posts in this topic

I don't know Joe. I can't believe you "hated" it. Maybe you were just reading too many reviews before you went to see it. Freddy Got Fingered? Yeah, that one you can hate. But Daredevil? ....Nah... grin.gif

Hate is such a strong word. wink.gif

You're probably right, and "utterly disappointed" would be a better term. I love comic movies and think that the current Daredevil movie is the worst possible ingredient to add to the mix.

Especially if you're like me and looking forward to Iron Man, Namor and Ghost Rider. One whiff of this leather-clad refuse could kill quite a few of them.

can anyone explain why Bullseye had to have a scar instead of his costume and why Kingpin is a black muscular guy in pimp outfits instead of a sumo shaped Italian? Its like Dolph Lundgren playing the Punisher. Why pay for the license if you are going to change all the details?

1) Because Joe Q convinced the director to *not* have Bullseye in his traditional costume, and to instead take part in some "new wave" body mutilation.

2) Because he wanted someone physically huge, regardless of the resemblance to the comic character.

Creative liberties are actually a good thing for certain movie adaptations of either a novel or in this case, a comic book super-hero. When I first heard about the organic webbing instead of Parkers lab invention, my initial reaction was that this movie was ripening for disappointment. What I didn't know is that when James Cameron originally was involved in the Spidey project back when it was in legal limbo, Cameron actually suggested the organic web-shooting. That was nearly 10 years before Spider-Man finally made its movie-screen debut. Each story served its purpose -- I actually like both for their specific purposes. In comics, the wrist-band shooters reinforce Parkers geekhood science genius. In the movie, organic webbing actually removes the thought "will spidey run out of webbing just as gobey throws him off the building." As well, the organic webbing reinforces the mutant spider bite that transforms a lanky Parker into a super-human hero.

can anyone explain why Bullseye had to have a scar instead of his costume and why Kingpin is a black muscular guy in pimp outfits instead of a sumo shaped Italian? Its like Dolph Lundgren playing the Punisher.

At first, I thought the scar was hideous myself, but as the movie went on, I noticed that it actually gave Bullseye that maniacal edge that no costume could have properly reinforced, let alone brought out. Kingpin (MIchael Clarke Duncan) was a creative liberty which I actually liked right from the get-go. Again, like a song that slowly grows on you, his physical proportions (you should see this guy in real life --he is just MASSIVE!) is what I expected to see from the Kingpin character portrayed in film, and I just don't think there is any white male actor with as large a physical presence as Michael Clarke Duncan. I know I said earlier that DD is a definite WFV/D (wait for video/dvd) movie, but it is MUCH, MUCH better than the punisher movie. I think Marvel really learned their lesson about how to avoid making a "bad" super-hero movie by using the Punisher movie as its yardstick of measure.

Actually, the organic webbing is there for one purpose only, to get us through the "origin" stage as quickly as possible and onto the second act.

I was also a bit worried about the change, but once I saw the movie it became obvious there wasn't enough time to explain/show Pete building and testing the mechanical web-shooters. That would bog down the movie and when the audience wanted to see Pete swinging like a madman, not working in a lab on his webbing.

It was a bold change that carried many dividends, and in that particular case, a great decision based on the constraints of a 2-hour movie.

I was also a bit worried about the change, but once I saw the movie it became obvious there wasn't enough time to explain/show Pete building and testing the mechanical web-shooters.

After seeing the film I can see why they went organic too.

There is just no way a young student could have 'invented' a super strong material that sticks to everything but his own hands(????), in his bedroom. crazy.gif

One of Stan's craziest leaps of faith and would have hurt the films credibility. blush.gif

Sure, but they kept a "Goblin Glider" that defies the laws of physics. grin.gif

The first thing a writer does when adapting a comic/novel/play is to determine what can easily be sliced out or revised, and create a tighter, more efficent movie. Taking out the mechanical web-shooters saved about 10-15 minutes of film time, while keeping the action and suspense building through the "origin phase".

I know that the director deflected comments about the organic web-shooters as it being "to much for a teenager", but what's he supposed to say: "Hey fanboys, we're cutting that part to make a simpler, more audience-friendly movie". The fanboys would have been even more irate, so basically they made a bald-faced lie.

After all, we've got a guy who climbs walls, dresses in red spandex, is super-strong. and swings through the city on webbing, while fighting a green-armored psycho on a one-man rocket glider.....

once you suspend you disbelief that much, what's a quick lab experiment to make some webbing?

But, remember Stan was writing comics for kids back then. His "crazy leap of faith" was to encourage kids to stay in school. How else were you going to be able to invent a new scientific formula to augment your super powers when you turn 16. grin.gif

Yeah, and the mechanical web-shooters actually work much better in a comic or novel format, as it brings up the usual "Oh no, out of webbing" problems we know and love. With only 2 hours to kill, there's no need for extraneous plot devices.