• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Dell Giant: The Beatles

14 posts in this topic

Real curious about this one. The stains are from foxing. Same original owner collection that yielded the GL #11 8.5 from a couple days ago and plenty more that got 8.0+ including a JLA #2 with a fair amount of foxing but nowhere near what we have here. My take is 4.5-5.0. I apologize for the photo quality. All are snapped from my semi-trusty IPhone. Spine is solid, maybe 1/8th" split max. Thanks for looking.

148247.jpg.a3fbd0d949301af756d2b0c1bacf7aa6.jpg

148248.jpg.5a3641183582e1fbb9ce2e372370eee2.jpg

148249.jpg.29514439d640df6e8785b92490aab004.jpg

148250.jpg.887deffcf71bea896e0ba03c1cb271ce.jpg

Looks like someone put a greasy cheeseburger bag on top of it.Damn I would have paid whatever it took if it was NM to get it into my collection. :sorry:
Same here. Id say around a 5.0 is my guess. However, I have never worked with a book with that much staining. So who knows?

Still an awesome book.

-Kystix.

One of my all-time favorite books! (thumbs u :applause: In spite of the staining, I wouldn't put this under a 6.0 - no way, no how. :sumo: Love that staple quality. :cloud9: For people who don't know, this is one tough Dell Giant. Btw, it doesn't appear to foxing,but rather an oil-based staining of some kind.

Definitely not foxing or transfer staining. loks like some kind of grease or oil from an external source. Structurally it might be at least a 6.0, but that sort of aesthetically unpleasing damage brings it down to under 4.0 for me, as I would treat it no different than water stains of the same size.

Nope, it's foxing. Many comics had it from this collection. There's probably a dozen or so with it I've still got listed on ebay. Notice how the location of the stains differs from page to page. That doesn't happen from leaving a breakfast sandwich on the cover its happening because something is growing on the pages. The paper stock on the photos is different from that of almost all other comics so the foxing looks different from the tiny brown and grayish black specks we are accustomed to. That said, it might go 4.0 anyways. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Nope, it's foxing. Many comics had it from this collection. There's probably a dozen or so with it I've still got listed on ebay. Notice how the location of the stains differs from page to page. That doesn't happen from leaving a breakfast sandwich on the cover its happening because something is growing on the pages. The paper stock on the photos is different from that of almost all other comics so the foxing looks different from the tiny brown and grayish black specks we are accustomed to. That said, it might go 4.0 anyways. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Hate to tell you brother,but that is not foxing.That is oil or some kind of grease.

I thought that at first Oak, but based on the foxing on other copies from the same collection (GL 85 was the only other book where it was bad enough to consider "heavy") and the different location of the foxing/staining on each page I believe in my heart of hearts that my theory is correct. If it isn't foxing though, I'm probably looking at a 4.0.

Hate to tell you brother,but that is not foxing.That is oil or some kind of grease.

(thumbs u It certainly isn't foxing in any way, shape or form.

I thought that at first Oak, but based on the foxing on other copies from the same collection (GL 85 was the only other book where it was bad enough to consider "heavy") and the different location of the foxing/staining on each page I believe in my heart of hearts that my theory is correct. If it isn't foxing though, I'm probably looking at a 4.0.

"What" the staining is or isn't in this case, doesn't change the grade. A stain is a stain is a stain, the source is for the most part, irrelevant.

For example, no one cares if it's blood or chocolate ice cream. lol

I respectfully disagree. I had an Avengers #4 earlier this year that had a moisture stain on the back cover, but was otherwise flawless. The grade? 6.5. According to gpa it's the highest recorded sale in the history of 6.5's for that book. It fetched $1400. The JLA from this collection had maybe a tad more foxing than what would be considered minor. It was a sharp book but not as nice as the Avengers #4. That one came back 8.0. CGC seems to have a little more leeway for foxing versus other types of soiling. Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember Overstreet discounting foxing slightly less as well. Either way, I'm in your camp. A stain is a stain is a stain. That hasn't been my experience however. Maybe ill submit next time I send a value fast track down to Sarasota. If nothing else to see what the grader thinks. I see where you guys are coming from. Foxing is almost always grey or brown.