• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Fundamental problem...

108 posts in this topic

I held a Fantastic Four #1 when I was 10 years old. A fellow at a flea market was selling comics, and he had FF #1 and Conan #1 on the wall. I had money for one book, so I took the Conan #1.
I think most 10 year olds would. And realistically, with no fore knowledge of either one, I'd probably pick Conan today. :grin:

FF#1 is classic and all that. But look at it. The cover's kind of a mess with little appeal.

There's a some fiery guy. Well, ok, a kid can tie a towel around their neck to play. But set yourself on fire? He's boring. Orange man? Whatever. And a big-mouth monster street scene. Yawn.

I generally wasn't allowed to have Marvel Comics when I was a little kid in the early '70s because my mom--who read comics back in the '30s and '40s--thought they were ugly and didn't recognize most of the characters...which, among other things, is precisely what made them so appealing and attractive to me at that age.

I bet there are more than a few (former) 10 year-olds out there who may have had a completely opposite reaction from yours to the early Marvel hero books...

Possibly. But at that time in the 70's, Conan had a bunch of the Robert E. Howard books out with the insert posters at the back of the book. All of my friends had them, though most tore the poster out to hang on their walls.

So I guess it would be when in the 70's, and what that 10 year-old was into. It was cool to have held and have looked through an FF #1, though.

I held a Fantastic Four #1 when I was 10 years old. A fellow at a flea market was selling comics, and he had FF #1 and Conan #1 on the wall. I had money for one book, so I took the Conan #1.

I think most 10 year olds would. And realistically, with no fore knowledge of either one, I'd probably pick Conan today. :grin:

FF#1 is classic and all that. But look at it. The cover's kind of a mess with little appeal.

There's a some fiery guy. Well, ok, a kid can tie a towel around their neck to play. But set yourself on fire? He's boring. Orange man? Whatever. And a big-mouth monster street scene. Yawn.

At least Conan has a sword, spear, and looks like Tarzan with horns. Looks like somebody who could drop-kick fiery guy into a jungle waterfall, whoever he his. And for a few cents? Best of the two, any day of the week.

From the first day I began collecting comics, my goal was to one day own a copy of FF#1. It seemed like the coolest book ever made.

I got my copy when I was in my mid-20s and even though I paid thousands for it I took it home and read that copy savoring every page. It was, indeed, the coolest book ever made.

And after owning it for more than a decade, I found out about the magic of the press, steamed it up a few grades and now it's gone. But it sure was awesome.

On the other hand, I still have my Conan #1 which is also pretty freaking awesome.

I generally wasn't allowed to have Marvel Comics when I was a little kid in the early '70s because my mom--who read comics back in the '30s and '40s--thought they were ugly and didn't recognize most of the characters...which, among other things, is precisely what made them so appealing and attractive to me at that age.

I bet there are more than a few (former) 10 year-olds out there who may have had a completely opposite reaction from yours to the early Marvel hero books...

Possibly. But at that time in the 70's, Conan had a bunch of the Robert E. Howard books out with the insert posters at the back of the book. All of my friends had them, though most tore the poster out to hang on their walls.

So I guess it would be when in the 70's, and what that 10 year-old was into. It was cool to have held and have looked through an FF #1, though.

Bah! Barbarians! I'm a space age guy. I certainly respect the Conan books but they just are not my cup of tea. Barry Windsor Smith's art was nice, though, and you can see his style mature as the series goes on.

That's so interesting, the 'forbidden' aspect to Marvel, ramping up the appeal.

As a sixties-kid there's no doubt we were branded to DC way before 10yrs. old. Superman was a big deal growing up. Practically a 3rd parent when it came to 'right & wrong'.

The Adventures of Superman was on every day (as reruns). When George Reeves died it made big news and a lot of parents had to explain to a lot of little kids he was an actor who only played Superman on tv.

Superman (not the dead actor) was real, or had been. We figured that much out ourselves sitting on near-dark lawns in long discussions. Our child-logic (magical thinking) was flawless, based only on facts...

Cowboys were real, Army men were real, Dinosaurs had been real (but not Godzilla), Planets were real, and the Atom Bomb was real (duck & cover). So, obviously, Superman had been real but probably died from an atom bomb before we were born.

Here is my opinion on DC's fundamental problem...

Missed opportunity.

For example, DC is going to have a "selfie" variant cover month according to Newsarama. (Article Found Here). Where has DC gone wrong though? You want to wow people on variants? Have a current artist EVERY month recreate their interpretation of the classic cover from the original Golden Age corresponding to the issue number in the New 52 era.

For example, why wasn't there a George Perez or Jim Lee interpretation of Action Comics 1 as a variant upon the launch of the New 52 book? The closest I have seen is sporadic homages. For example Bruce Timm did an homage to Action 36 with his variant cover of Superman Unchained 1. Cannot do the WWII covers? I get that. Instead of Superman knocking Japanese soldiers off a motorcycle, knock off two thieves trying to get away from a bank. Make the renumbering and variants 'fun' and mindful of the past while paving way for the future.

DC always seems to be slightly behind the ball. It has always seemed reactive instead of proactive when it comes to what Marvel has been doing.

745327.jpgsmun11930sjpg-5e9fb1.jpg

BTW... I have to say that the Superman / Batman selfie did make me chuckle.

batman-superman-selfie-variant.jpg