• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Characters of All Time Thread

36 posts in this topic

ahh, please close this thread mods. I'll work on this one

I hope you don't take it as me simply being a jerk. I just like when one thread gains tons of posts from many different people better than several splintered threads, you know? :angel:

nah, no offense taken. I'm on the same page as you but should have looked for this one first. :thumbsup:

Stegron and the Big Wheel immediately come to mind. Super-Pro anyone?

I was about to post this:

Big_Wheel_Marvel_zps02fb1286.png

And I always sort of liked Stegron…

Agreed on the Wheel.

Hey Chip, are you kidding? The Impossible Man (when handled well = rarely) is not "bad", it’s just AWESOME.

My vote could also go for Dazzler, but I am not sure how the character's idea came to be…

And Boom Boom is awesome, as any other character created by Louise Simonson.

If some "deranged" writer takes the liberty to abuse them afterwards (like Peter David with many characters), it’s entirely another matter.

Quite a tragic, abused character in the early stories. :(

What’s been truly abused, in these stories (and not only there), is Magneto.

Hey, Paste Pot Pete is a GREAT character: it was never meant to be a "great stature" villain, more in a league with the Sandman, only lower, and it has always been very well characterized at that. PPP is just awesome… :cloud9:

My vote could also go for Dazzler, but I am not sure how the character's idea came to be…

Dazzler was part of a promotional deal between Marvel and a record label. The idea was that Marvel would create the comic character and the record label would have a real live singer called Dazzler - same costume and whatever - put out an album. Then the singer and the comic would cross-promote each other. It was apparently inspired by the success of Marvel's KISS comic, which might explain Dazzler's KISS-like face makeup.

After Marvel had hyped up the character and debuted her in X-Men, the record label pulled out of the deal, leaving Marvel holding the bag. They supposedly pressed on with the Dazzler series in hopes of getting a new media partner to sign on to the project.

It's kind of weird but I'd have to say Rocket Racer, but this is an example where it's so bad it flipped around to being acceptable because I find him comical. A rocket based skate board that climbs walls. Too awesome!

It was obviously not very original, but I dare to say it’s more likely than a character travelling in outer space on a surfboard.

As much as I love the Surfer, the surfboard idea is not… so great! lol

And, no, I did not tell Kirby – in fact I even introduced myself with a Silver Surfer t-shirt. :D

Dazzler was part of a promotional deal between Marvel and a record label. The idea was that Marvel would create the comic character and the record label would have a real live singer called Dazzler - same costume and whatever - put out an album. Then the singer and the comic would cross-promote each other. It was apparently inspired by the success of Marvel's KISS comic, which might explain Dazzler's KISS-like face makeup.

After Marvel had hyped up the character and debuted her in X-Men, the record label pulled out of the deal, leaving Marvel holding the bag. They supposedly pressed on with the Dazzler series in hopes of getting a new media partner to sign on to the project.

Thanks – now I see why it was that… way. Honestly, I quite liked Dazzler only in the brief period Claremont re-user her in the X-Men (around issue #210-220 I think) but she really never made much sense, and not because of the powers. :(