• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books with a strong Original Artwork content

86 posts in this topic

Here's a recently-published collection of the complete HEROS THE SPARTAN strips by British great, Frank Bellamy (he never saw print in the USA, so this is probably unfamiliar territory for most of you).

The strip debuted in Eagle magazine in 1962 and ran throughout the 1960s as a weekly two-page episode (Eagle was an anthology title). The Sword and Sorcery storylines are not unlike those of a certain barbarian named Conan (it's likely that Barry Smith would have been aware of Heros at the time).

This is a hefty book, containing lengthy introductions and essays on Bellamy's work by a number of professionals in the comic-book industry. The introductory essays contain a healthy sprinkling of original artworks from a wealth of Bellamy's British strips. Some of the originals used resided in my own collection at one time or other and I receive an acknowledgement for my contributions to the book . . .

heros1.jpg

heros2.jpg

Excerpts from some of the professionals' essays . . .

"And now, half a century later, Heros continues to make his presence felt, in my mind and in my art. Bellamy cast a long shadow, and while I have worked hard to escape such shadows cast by other artists whose work had greatly influence me, I often find myself trying to find a way deeper into the influences of Bellamy."

John Byrne

"I first read Heros the Spartan at the highly impressionable age of 14 and it grabbed me from the start. Here was my favourite strip-illustrator, Frank Bellamy, let loose on weekly double-page, full-colour spreads, depicting tall tales of lost legions, barbarian tribes, swamp monsters, mad Druids and myriad other mysteries that lay on the cusp of ancient history and superstition."

Dave Gibbons

"I can't wait to see the complete strip! I hope you'll join me in enjoying some of the most beautiful comics ever committed to paper."

Walter Simonson