• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's your fav artist & writer?

27 posts in this topic

I may be odd man out on this one, but I really don't focus much on who the writer/artist is/was on a particular book. I know the bigger recent names from reading message boards, and I know some of the older names from Comic Zone Radio, message boards, and reading about comic history.

IMO, one of the wrong turns the comic industry took in the 90's was the focus on things creator-driven instead of character-driven. For example, I love Byrne's FF run because I love the FF. But I wasn't about to break off and start collecting "Next Men" just because it was Byrne.

I collect the FF, not Byrne. My personal tastes and collection are character-driven and not creator-driven. Like I said, I seem to be "odd-man out" on this one with all the focus on who's writing/drawing what, but I just tend to base it more on the characters than the creators, if that makes sense.

Tilley,

Surely you must relate artists and writers to certain periods and stories? I recently bought some FF back issues in the 90's (300-410) as I did not buy any after Byrne had left and in general they were a bunch of [#@$%!!!]. I ended up skimming through most of them at the end they were so bad and I don't think I'll ever pick them up again. The art wasn't bad but the stories were terrible. Avengers 160-200 were awesome and then there was a black hole for about 50 issues, because the art sucked arse and the writing was lame (again in general). A good current example is the Invaders, art isn't bad (not great either) but being that I am a big fan of the original Human Torch I couldn't be more disappointed with how they have potraited him so far. Its just brutal, no action, no resemblance to his original glory and I just think the current artist/writer is doing the original creators and fans a huge disservice. Well that's my rant for the day. confused-smiley-013.gif

Tilley,

Surely you must relate artists and writers to certain periods and stories?

Oh, absolutely. I know that Byrne had a famous FF run, but I honestly couldn't tell you the exact issue #'s that comprise it. I know that the FF has also had some [#@$%!!!] times, too, but I have no idea who the writer(s)/artist(s) were. I can tell you whether I liked certain storylines/issues in the titles I read/collect, but can't always tell you who did the stories.

I know Neal Adams is famous for his work on Batman, but I couldn't tell all the covers/issues/stories were in that run. Ditto for Miller on Daredevil, O'Neill/Adams on GL/GA, Romita Sr./Jr. on ASM, and of course I know Lee/Kirby. I know who McFarlane is, of course, but I doubt I could point out anything that he drew that isn't Spider-Man (shooting a web) or Spawn.

I know Bendis' and Johns' names from message boards, and I know other names from things I've read (Kane, Simon, Perez, Siegel, Shuster, Wolfman, etc.), but I couldn't tell which issues of which titles they worked on. I just don't chase the writers/artists.

I may be odd man out on this one, but I really don't focus much on who the writer/artist is/was on a particular book. I know the bigger recent names from reading message boards, and I know some of the older names from Comic Zone Radio, message boards, and reading about comic history.

IMO, one of the wrong turns the comic industry took in the 90's was the focus on things creator-driven instead of character-driven. For example, I love Byrne's FF run because I love the FF. But I wasn't about to break off and start collecting "Next Men" just because it was Byrne.

I collect the FF, not Byrne. My personal tastes and collection are character-driven and not creator-driven. Like I said, I seem to be "odd-man out" on this one with all the focus on who's writing/drawing what, but I just tend to base it more on the characters than the creators, if that makes sense.

It makes total sense. I tend to agree.

Writer - Alan Moore (I agree sometimes he's out there, but when hes in there, there's no one better)

Artist - Neal Adams / George Perez (And NO I can't choose between them its chicken and egg to the make.)