• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan Question

45 posts in this topic

Alright, I've got most of the Windsor Smith Conans, and I know they're a good read, but my question is how long after this run is the book good? Does it start losing quality, and if so after what issue? Just wondering what # you guys would recommend I stop at.

Back in the 70's Conan was at the top of my 'must read' list (at least till Cerebus the Aardvark came out! smile.gif I thought issues 25 on up to 75 or so were just fine, and issues from the next couple of years were ok. I just pulled out a few from my stacks and refreshed my memory. Collecting 1 to 100 would make a nice collection. And this is one title I recommend you read, not just get pretty slabbed books. You can get reading copies cheap. cool.gif

Yep, and actually HG raw copies are pretty cheap as well. Most of my Windsor Smith issues are in the VF+ - NM range, and I got them WAAAY below guide. The only ones you really have to pay for to get a nice copy is #1 and #3.

I enjoyed Conan 1-60, King Conan, Savage Sword mag 1-35, Gt Sz Conan (reprints Kane, BW Smith), Conan Spcl 1. Painted Boris, F Brunner, Earl Norem covers on any of the SSoC mags or Kull & the Barbarians were choice. Is it time to load up b4 King Conan movie hype?

I'm glad others responded first, because I have a minority view here. For me, the Buscema/Chan Conan was an entirely different feature than the Barry Smith run, and I've elected to stop collecting Conan with #24's "The Song of Red Sonja." But I'm glad others pointed you to facets of the later Conan you might enjoy. For a mid-point, you might go up to #39: Particular standouts of the post-Smith years are #37, the Neal Adams issue; and #38 & #39, where John Buscema both pencilled and inked the feature. Or just cherry-pick those 3 issues and see how you like them.

Cheers,

Z.

I'm glad others responded first, because I have a minority view here. For me, the Buscema/Chan Conan was an entirely different feature than the Barry Smith run, and I've elected to stop collecting Conan with #24's "The Song of Red Sonja."

As far as "collecting" Conan, I also usually only bid on #1-24, but as far as "reading" Conan, I would agree that the first 100 issues were generally solid.

I hear that now that Dark Horse acquired the Conan license, that they plan to reprint the old Marvel series in color like they have been doing with Star Wars - I would be all over those in a huge way!

Gene

" hear that now that Dark Horse acquired the Conan license, that they plan to reprint the old Marvel series in color like they have been doing with Star Wars "

Hello Gene I am curious as to the source of this info. that DH is reprinting the marvel conans? , Dark horse only announced that they are going to produce new works, though with some that are newly adapted from REH's orginal stories. As far as it appears, i guess it would be like mid 90s tarzan run, but i have my doubts as to whether conan can last.

( but then again, it may be a good thing, many collectors may try to sell off their nm early conans for fear that their value would depreciate with the new series to be launched)

With all the great conan artists gone, from the late JB, GK, AA, EC, the marvel conan magic of the 70s would never be recapture by dark horse.( And unlike most of you, while i may be hard up for nm early issues like conan 1, BMS is never the definitive conan artist to me) . However, we have yet to see any conan comic done by Michael Kaluta, hopefully his conan may not look as scrawny as some of his characters. P C. Russell may be a likely choice with dark horse, but i am quite sceptical that Mr Russell could really bring out the darkness of the hyborian age, he's more suited for 'lighter" fantasy, his barbarians are just not powerful nor exotic enough for my taste, just look at the 1998 stormbringer series and the ring of the nibelung, colors and art were great but somewhat cartoonish, not that i don't enjoy his work.

Even the soon to be released conan of cimmeria hb volumes (wandering star) art by Mark Scultz & Gary Gianni doesn't quite do justice to our fav. REH character, conan looks far too ordinary in the former's art and too short, roman-like and stout for the latter's .

heck , Claudio Castellini can draw a nice conan but his artwork is too standardized.

Who then today could packed some punch for the relaunch (rhetorically)?

Ditto on liking Savage Sword magazine. Those are a good read. I think after issues 1 - 24 of the comic book I would go for the first 20 to 30 of the magazine next, then the comic book from 25 - 39, then the rest of the comic books up to 100. Heck, if you want the complete comic book run after issue 100 it won't cost you much at all. Just pick them up at a convention in the 50 cent boxes.

Hello Gene I am curious as to the source of this info. that DH is reprinting the marvel conans?

I think it was either in Wizard or Comic Shop News, though it might have been CBG. In any case, I read it sometime in the last 45 days (i.e., very recently), as I was excited from having just re-read those great Thomas/Smith issues reprinted in B&W in the old "Conan Saga" magazine over the Christmas holidays.

The article said that it wasn't a definitive go, but was in the works. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it happens!

Gene

Thanks guys.

I've flipped through my Windsor Smith issues, but haven't read them yet because I need a few more. But they look good, and I can't wait to read the whole series straight. After that, I'll get the next 25 issues, and will go on from there until I feel that the quality starts declining.

I just have to echo everyone's (almost) opinion. I generally had no patience for the glut of sword and sorcery titles that were spawned by Conan. However, the first 100 issues of this title are outstanding. The BWS issues speak for themselves, but the Buscema issues (not to mention the mags) are just wonderful storytelling with beautiful artwork. Sit down one day and start reading them from start to finish. Just beautiful. And so under-appreciated. Enjoy.

Sounds good. I'll take all the advice, and pick up the first 50 at least. I've already resisted the urge to read the BWS issues I have, until I get the full run.

grin.gif

It makes me feel good to know there are such fine posterior specimens out there.

Thrill of the hunt I guess! shocked.gifblush.gifwink.gifgrin.gif