• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Falcon rape case, Captain America #22 and #FireRickRemender.

49 posts in this topic

So they had drunken sex and its his fault??

could it not also be seen she took advantage of him?

You are wishing again - right?

I am Serious.

A man and a woman go drinking.

They both get drunk and have sex.

Society deems the man took advantage and raped her and not her him..

Kind of a double standard.

In this particular instance the allegation was "statutory" rape, because someone calculated that she was about 14-16 years old. By their quoted data, she was an "infant" twelve years ago so she could not possibly be old enough to legally consent, no matter what she said about her 23rd birthday.

Again, this just applies to this set of circumstances and uses the info provided by the article.

This article is lighting a fire.

"When you impersonate another person in order to have sex with someone, that is rape "

http://powderroom.jezebel.com/when-having-opinions-brings-rape-threats-a-captain-ame-1601900750

Holy I can't believe someone wrote that much on this issue. I'm just dumfounded. I almost feel like I have to read it just to find out how he could have written so much.

Oh and the comment you quoted was directed at the Spider-Man issue and not the Falcon story.

This tweet says it all

"re: #firerickremender , maybe if cap wasn't such a poorly put together book it wouldn't be so easy to mistakenly see offensive content"

In this particular instance the allegation was "statutory" rape, because someone calculated that she was about 14-16 years old. By their quoted data, she was an "infant" twelve years ago so she could not possibly be old enough to legally consent, no matter what she said about her 23rd birthday.

Again, this just applies to this set of circumstances and uses the info provided by the article.

Yes, this is how I read the original complaints as well. I have not read the comics - and can't see any good reason to ever do so - but just going by these articles, it seems pretty clear that the problem came about because JR Jr.'s art is so terrible. The character first appears as what seems to be a toddler, 12 years pass, and she has sex with Falcon while claiming to be 23 years old. People reading the book assume she is lying to him and therefore he becomes unwittingly guilty of statutory rape.

The Bleeding Cool article says that this is not actually the case, since the -script for her first appearance describes her as being 10 years old, meaning she's not lying about her age being 23.

But given that people are reacting to the actual comic book and not an unpublished -script, you can hardly blame anyone for not realizing that this drawing is supposed to be of a 10 year old:

c14-600x272.png

Seriously. She looks like she's 4.

Yes, people blew this way out of proportion, but all of it could have been avoided by competent storytelling.

This article is lighting a fire.

"When you impersonate another person in order to have sex with someone, that is rape "

http://powderroom.jezebel.com/when-having-opinions-brings-rape-threats-a-captain-ame-1601900750

Who impersonated who in that story?

That is talking about Doc Ock's mind in Peter's body.

Yes, this is how I read the original complaints as well. I have not read the comics - and can't see any good reason to ever do so - but just going by these articles, it seems pretty clear that the problem came about because JR Jr.'s art is so terrible. The character first appears as what seems to be a toddler, 12 years pass, and she has sex with Falcon while claiming to be 23 years old. People reading the book assume she is lying to him and therefore he becomes unwittingly guilty of statutory rape.

The Bleeding Cool article says that this is not actually the case, since the -script for her first appearance describes her as being 10 years old, meaning she's not lying about her age being 23.

But given that people are reacting to the actual comic book and not an unpublished -script, you can hardly blame anyone for not realizing that this drawing is supposed to be of a 10 year old:

c14-600x272.png

Seriously. She looks like she's 4.

Yes, people blew this way out of proportion, but all of it could have been avoided by competent storytelling.

Yep - terrible art matched to even worse storytelling.