• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on On Site Grading

22 posts in this topic

Onsite has always been good for me. I've only subbed a few books over the years (I think 5 or so), but I've always been very happy with the results.

Definitely has been worth the extra cost to me vs waiting for months and months.

As a UK boardie, I have never seen the on-site grading...

Do you get your book slabbed on the day or do you have to wait for it to be sent?

CGC collects the books on the show floor the way they would at any show along with payment info, etc.

As the books accumulate, a runner carts the boxes of books to wherever the graders are (usually another secluded part of the convention center, like a board room or something similar. They enter the books into their system and your card is charged.

If you have a CGC account you can actually see your books move through the process (except that they don't marked as shipped until everyone gets back to Sarasota, so you can't see your grades before you get your books back).

The graders grade the books like they would at CGC, they get encapsulated (this is really the slowest part of the process and where all bottlenecks occur) and then returned back to the booth for pick up when they are done.

You have a designation on your copy of the invoice (1A or 2B or whatever) and by that designation they find your newly slabbed books and hand them over to you.

Pretty straight forward stuff - you just don't know if your books are coming back in 1, 2 or 3 days.

Interesting, thanks :)